Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Eanwulf/Feetla, Stalman Klim/Mordrammo....???
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Eanwulf/Feetla, Stalman Klim/Mordrammo....???
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:33 pm  
    Eanwulf/Feetla, Stalman Klim/Mordrammo....???

I've been working on converting A1-4 to 3.5e with the hope of running it in the future. In the process I've been doing some research, and I've come across some confusing name issues. I only have Scourge of the Slavelords, not the individual modules, so perhaps that is the reason for my confusion.

In numerous places on the net I've encountered references to Feetla and Mordrammo as Slavelords. Some sites list them as alternate/true names for Eanwulf and Stalman Klim, but I can find no reference to either of them in the super module.

Can someone sort this out for me? I feel I must be overlooking something rather simple, but am lost as to what exactly.

Thank you in advance.

Ba'alzemon
    d#%n typos!
    CF Admin

Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:55 pm  

Feetla and Mordrammao only appear in A3, IIRC: Feetla is the corsair captain of the Slave Lords' yellow-sailed fleet of slaving ships, while Mordrammo is the EHP of the Earth Dragon, and is replaced in A4 by the other high priest, but I can't recall his name offhand (Mordrammo is killed in the earthquake during the start section of A4).

Eanwulf is another Slaver, presumably an underling to Feetla since IIRC he's lower level (?), while Stalman Klim is the rep from the SB, who are apparently manipulating/in league with the Slave Lords. He also dies in A3/the earthquakes of A4's start, and is replaced with his underling, Brother Milerjio.

I could be off on some of these, though, since my modules are upstairs ATM (where my wife is sleeping). I'm sure others will chime in with corrections as needed.

Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:26 pm  

grodog wrote:
    Feetla and Mordrammao only appear in A3, IIRC: Feetla is the corsair captain of the Slave Lords' yellow-sailed fleet of slaving ships, while Mordrammo is the EHP of the Earth Dragon, and is replaced in A4 by the other high priest, but I can't recall his name offhand (Mordrammo is killed in the earthquake during the start section of A4).

Eanwulf is another Slaver, presumably an underling to Feetla since IIRC he's lower level (?), while Stalman Klim is the rep from the SB, who are apparently manipulating/in league with the Slave Lords. He also dies in A3/the earthquakes of A4's start, and is replaced with his underling, Brother Milerjio.

I could be off on some of these, though, since my modules are upstairs ATM (where my wife is sleeping). I'm sure others will chime in with corrections as needed.

Based on Scourge of the Slavelords (A1-4 (c) 1986 TSR) and Slavers ((c) 2000 WotC)...

Stalman Klim is the High Priest of the Earth Dragon (Cleric 11) and is struggling against Edralve in Scourge. He is mentioned throughout the supermodule as scheming against Edralve and has arranged for the party's help in framing her. The Slavers source book says that he essentially founded the Slavelords but lost sight of his original purpose (spreading the worship of the Earth Dragon) when he got involved in his struggles with Edralve and thus blames himself for the group's collapse.

Eanwulf (Fighter 10) is, according to the letter the PCs intercept earlier in the module, "Lord of the Nine", though I believe that indicates membership more than dominance, as that seems to be what Klim and Edralve are butting heads about. Eanwulf is mentioned by name in the battle at the end of A3 (or where I believe it is -- there is no clear indication where one module begins and another ends) and his tactics are discussed there. When the PCs encounter the Slavelords again at the end of A4 he is not mentioned.

Brother Milerjoi is the senior monk of the Scarlet Brotherhood and after his demise he is replaced by Brother Kerin for the final battle at the dock of the Water Dragon.

After failing many word searches I decided to actually scan the module by eye and still found no references to Feetla or Mordrammo. Further, there is no mention of "yellow sails" in the entire super module as far as I can find. I'm really starting to question just what sort of butchery took place when they combined the individual modules into the supermodule.

None of the original artwork was reproduced and the artwork that is present is...dubious. There is a picture of the "Nine" but based on the scant descriptions I can only identify a few of them for certain. Edralve is easy to locate (though I never pictured her with a black poofy 80s hair style -- she looks like a Winger fan), as is Brother Milerjoi/Kerin (whichever it is pictured; based on the age I would assume Milerjoi) and Ketta is most likely the one in the center at the bottom. Stalman Klim is probably the one in the back with the skull helm since that is attributed as a feature of the Earth Dragon priesthood in Slavers, but nothing in the supermodule mentions it. There is a spellcaster in the center of the group, but it could be either Lamonsten or Ajakstu (though I would probably guess it's Lamonsten since the figure is not holding a staff of power -- then again, none of them are holding a staff). No one else even looks like a wizard except the skull helmed figure I attributed to Stalman Klim. There are two scimitar armed individuals, but only one of the Slavelords is mentioned as carrying a scimitar, Easwulf. No one looks like a half-orc to me, but one of them has to be Theg Narlot. There are two more females in the picture (at least I think the one with the eye patch is female) but none of the other Slavelords are mentioned as being female.

Having once owned A4 I remember the picture of the Slavelords on the docks in there and using that picture each of the six are easily identified. The artwork was a bit dated (but hey I like a lot of that old artwork) but at least you knew exactly who everyone was meant to be in that picture. Outside of the fact that Edralve is a drow, and she at Ketta are female, there is virtually no information in the entire supermodule about what anyone looks like.

Most of that was a cathartic venting, and perhaps not terribly informative, but I feel better having gotten it out. Smile

Thanks for what you remember. It seems I might end up having to get the individual modules to make some sense out of the supermodule.

Ba'alzemon
    d#%n typos!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:36 am  

In A3, only five of the Slavelords will be encountered, consisting of: Ajakstu, Nerelas, Feetla, Brother Milerjoi, and Mordrammu. Brother Kerin's name is dropped, but makes no appearance.

In A4, the party meets the Slavelords on the docks: Brother Kerin, Slippery Ketta, Edralve, Lamonsten the Lazy, Theg Narlot, and Stalman Klim

Eanwulf replaces Feetla in A1-4, with Stalman Klim doing the same to Mordrammu in both A3 and A4 despite the author begging the DM to ensure Mordrammu survives A3 to make his A4 appearance.

Since the modules were originally written for a tournament setting, the wealth of supplemental information simply doesn't exist. I assume that's because there was no need for mounds of background. Heck, Zeb Cook didn't even bother to name his bad guys. A1-4 is the best of the supermodules as far as linking the modules together in a way that at least pretends to make sense. Some of the others require a bit more sanding and filling by the DM to run smoothly.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:25 pm  

It looks to me that Feetla and Eanwulf are one and the same as are Mordrammu and Stalman Klim. Their level and stats are the same and there is only a slight difference in possessions between A3, A4, and A1-4, and then just with Klim/Mordrammu. I'd assume the confusion is just due to continuity errors made by the writers.

Feetla/Eanwulf is stated to be the leader of the Slavelords in A3 and I do't think that is contradicted until A1-4 where we have Edralve and Stalman Klim as leaders of the council.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:55 pm  

This gives about as much of a clue as anything:

"Brother Kerin was second-in-command to Brother Milerjoi,
    and took his place when his superior died (in either the earthquakeor
    in thefight at theend of AD&D’” ModuleA3, depending
    on how the DM has handled this). Brother Kerin is the
    representative of the Scarlet Brotherhood, who helped finance
    and set up the Slave Lords.

All of the Slave Lords will fight to the death, as they are in
    desperate straits and they know it. Only these six survived the
    earthquake and the resultant chaos. Most of them were
    wounded in their flight to the docks, and the group’s cure
    spells were all expended in healing some of theirwounds. (The
    half-orc and the cleric are still slightly wounded.) Several of
    the illusionists’ spells were also used in fighting their way to
    the Water Dragon." (A-4; p.22)

So, the others presumedly die during the course of the adventure, or get buried under tons of rock in the earthquake or killed in the act of trying to get to the Water Dragon. The level of uncertianlty is of course great for a presumedly dead villain to return, perhaps horribly disfigured by fire or missing a limb that was crushed to goo in the earthquake, at a later date.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:18 pm  

So it would seem that Feetla and Mordrammo were merged/written out of the modules when they were consolidated into the supermodule. I'm not sure why they changed Feetla to Eanwulf in the supermodule since he only appears in one module (A3) and is presumed dead by the time of the final showdown on the docks. I thank you all again for your perspective and assistance.

Ba'alzemon
    d#%n typos!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:24 pm  

In my current campaign I am using the Slave Lords as named in the 4 separate modules, but I added a 10th Slave Lord, Stalman Kim, from the Super Module so I can have a tie in to the Slavers module later on. As far as the names I believe it was just a re-wright for better sounding names. Feetla always seemed like a through back to Jean Lafeet, not sure of the spelling, and Mordrammo like the villain in the Dr. Strange comic books. Wink
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:41 am  

As I'm progressing through my conversion of the supermodule, I noticed that they changed the slavelords' trademark yellow sails to purple, which is weird since the Slavers source book refers to yellow sails again.

1980 Yellow sails
    1986 Purple sails
    2000 Yellow sails

Ba'alzemon
    d#%n typos!
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: