The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - The Alignment Thread
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    The Alignment Thread

Which alignment is the most misunderstood?
    A) Lawful Good
    22%
     22%  [ 7 ]
    B) Chaotic Good
    3%
     3%  [ 1 ]
    C) Neutral Good
    0%
     0%  [ 0 ]
    D) Lawful Neutral
    0%
     0%  [ 0 ]
    E) Chaotic Neutral
    45%
     45%  [ 14 ]
    F) True Neutral
    16%
     16%  [ 5 ]
    G) Lawful Evil
    3%
     3%  [ 1 ]
    H) Chaotic Evil
    9%
     9%  [ 3 ]
    I) Neutral Evil
    0%
     0%  [ 0 ]
    Total Votes : 31

Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:50 am  
    Re: Sigh...

Scottenkainen wrote:
    I would have voted for Chaotic Good (Chaos is bad, so you're not really Good, but just misguided into thinking you are), but I'm too late...

~Scott "-enkainen" Casper

Aha! You post first, and then you get to vote...

Calling Chaotic thought bad is really missing the point. While a CG is a non-conformist (and will often disagree with the status quo for the sake of disagreeing), they are heart still looking after the best interests of folks. Han Solo, with his heart of gold, despite his larcenous nature, is the quintessential CG person. He is a law breaker, without question or apology, but he'd be almost as happy not brekaing the law, as long as his thirst for adventure was quenched as well. The same goes for the typical presentation of Robin Hood (who Han was possibly based partially on, in terms of attitude), though I could make arguements that Robin hood was actually Lawful Good in an outlaw situation.

Do you think of others when determining if a course is a correct action to take? "How will this hurt folks in the village if I steal their tax money from the Lord while in their village?" or "Will the mayor just punish the townsfolk for my actions if I bust in and demand he stop stealing money without actually taking him out?" The difference between Chaotic Good and Lawful or Neutral Good is that these are the last questions asked, not the first. The thought of disrupting the status quo and brinign harm to the enemy of the good folk in the land are primary concerns, the reprecussions of those actions are strictly secondary, but not without merit, and the CG person can and will make a choice not to take a course of action because the tradeoffs are worse than the solution.
    Master Greytalker

Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:29 pm  

Chaos is often confused with evil as it is assumed those that disagree with society have motives to undermine or harm others. Those that seek societial change even violent societial change can do so for laudable motives whether the revolutions that are begun or those that suffer because of the societial upheaval regard them as good remains a point of conjecture.

Simple analysis:
    LG cop would use his authority to arrest the criminal but testify truthfully even if the criminal was acquitted.

NG cop would use his authority and a legal technicality or be misleading under oath to convict a violent criminal.

CG cop would plant evidence and outright lie under oath to convict a violent criminal.

Robin Hood is the classic example of a NG (CG) hero
    Served faithfully under King Richard (NG)
    Used his position as the Earl of Locksley to use feudal technicalities thrwart and embarass the oppressive Prince John (NG)
    When Prince John broke the feudal rules and demanded feality; Robin Hood openly opposed him and became an outlaw (CG)
    However when King Richard returned and restored justice he asked for a pardon (NG)

When CG characters see society as corrupt or oppressive; they replace societies rules with their own moral compass. Until the society responds or its leadership is replaced. - Ends justify the means for the greater good.

When NG characters see society as corrupt or oppressive; they use the rules within the society to agaitate for change. Until the society responds or its leadership is replaced. - Use the rules of society to embarass and encourge others to demand a positive change for the greater good.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:37 am  

I always felt Jack Sparrow was a good representation of CN. Smile

Jim
    Master Greytalker

Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:08 pm  

Actually Jack Sparrow is a fine representative for CN.

I never saw it Shocked

Good Catch Soft Paws Smile

Now when I use popular cultural examples instead of literary heroes which to often get only blank stares. I can use Jack Sparrow when someone asks for an example of a CN character.

CN characters could become popular again Laughing
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:48 am  

Why thanks Crag. I believe I may have even seen it written somewhere so don't give me all the glory. LOL Laughing

Jim
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: