JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Saltmarsh Town Council
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Saltmarsh Town Council
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:13 pm  
    Saltmarsh Town Council

Was the Saltmarsh Town Council ever developed officially within canon? Or has anyone ever fleshed out the individuals for their own campaign? Maybe some Living Greyhawk info from the Keoland region? I'm looking for names, classes, background, or any little scraps of info to piece to together my own version. The only name I've been able to find is Erolin Timertikos, Lord of Saltmarsh out of Iquander's "Starting in Saltmarsh" article from way back when. Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Dukan
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:15 pm  

Saltmarsh was detailed in the DMGII, as to it being canon, someone else should make the call. Includes town council members, levels, classes etc, along with other personages of importance. There is a town map with 32 odd pages detailing locations, people and adventure hooks as well. Overall it covers what I would need as a DM to run adventures out of it.

"Its not WHAT you are doing, its HOW you look doing it"
    The Unknown Bard
    Master Greytalker

Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:25 am  

I preferred DMG2 Saltmarsh to represent Seaton as it is just too big and cosmopolitan for my tastes but LG also set a lot of adventures in Saltmarsh - you might be able to dig out some of that background information.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:07 pm  

The thing to realize about the DMGII Salatmarsh is that it is AFTER the Saltmarsh Trilogy, and Seaton got hammered by the Sahuigan - hence refugees had to come somewhere - that said, I've editted the map down some for 576 (although many will argue not enough, c'est la vie :D ).

But in general I use the descriptions in the book - with some obvious changes for the year, events (no one is for the Lizardman enclave yet, because it doesn't exist yet - and may not in my game; depends on the players), etc. I've never made a point of redoing them on a major scale, because a few notes is all I needed. Besides, my group only interacts with a small percentage anyway.

here is my version:

Also, there are some really good articles here on Canonfire on the noteable personages of Salinmoor that are good too. I use them over the book unless somethign is really good in the book. I also tend to use those articles as what the players can learn about those people through a variety of means (Gather info/streetwise, talking to folks, etc).
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:43 pm  

Hey thanks all! Oh Gosh, I forgot all about the Saltmarsh update in the DMG II. It's not really to my tastes though - a bit too high fantasy. I'm using Yabusama's excellent map of the town (with some minor photoshop additions like Nick's Tavern, etc...) I'm also using a lot of GVDammerung's extensive Guide to the Viscounty of Salimoor articles too, but I think those are written for a little farther into the future than my current timeline. My timeline is 576 cy just after the Seaton raid and just prior to the U1-3 series. I thought I'd use GVD's Lords of Saltmarsh as the town council (or maybe their fathers) + someone else for the Mayor. I'd love to mine some of the Living Greyhawk mods for more tidbits, but they're quite elusive. Any other ideas?

Dukan
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:55 pm  

There is one trick I learned when converting Mods that are further along than I am in the timeline: Just reset the events to the time of your need and go from there. Unless there is a specific event that changes things (say the fall of the TOEE for some reason), then the actual timeframe they were written for don't matter. Yabusama's map is ok, but I ALWAYS saw the town as built around a cove from my first reading of the original adventures. Granted I have no reason for that, it was just how I saw it.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:49 pm  

I'm also using DMG2 Saltmarsh reverting it back in time. My new campaign starts in 578 CY (I decided to start close to the wars to be able to play war-related adventures; in my timeline I placed the sack of Seaton later, so for now Saltmarsh is smaller and unwalled) and I'm going with the classics: U1-U2-U3 (adapting them to 2e, which is an easy task). I'm also preparing the follow-ups to these modules: "U4", which is a Battlesystem scenario for the assault on the sahuagin stronghold (U3 was too quick to dismiss that, playing it off-stage), and "U5", which is a compilation of short adventures that expand DMG2 Saltmarsh plot hooks. (I can tell you this since my players don't read this forum!) As for the town council and other important non-player characters, I'm using those NPCs from DMG2 who could reasonably be in town a decade before; for instance, since the Hoof 'n' Mouth was fairly recent, I'll substitute it with another tavern and its owner with somebody else.
    Forum Moderator

Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:00 pm  

I dig that map Mikel! Good conversation all.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:06 pm  

Great map, have a description list to go along with it?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:07 pm  

By the way, on your map, where would the mansion be from U1?
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:58 am  

The key is the same one a in DMG II. I just deleted out some entries and took them out of the map. And the mansion is not on the map. Its further up the coast. IMC its actually a seperate fief that is tied to the town, but not wholly a part of it. It was described as over half a day away (or at least that's the time frame I used), so I felt no need to place it on the map which is much smaller in scale.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: