Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Druids of Celestian?!?!?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Druids of Celestian?!?!?
    Master Greytalker

Sat May 23, 2009 6:01 am  
    Druids of Celestian?!?!?

Here's a little Easter egg I happened upon in Unearthed Arcana, in the description of the mantle of Celestian:

Gary Gygax, in Unearthed Arcana, p. 101, wrote:
    The mantle also has a special power which is conveyed to the wearer only if he or she is a cleric of Celestian, whether druidical or not.

(emphasis mine)

So, Celestian has druids? What do you figure they'd be like???
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat May 23, 2009 9:41 am  

My first thought would be stargazers with mountain valley groves who guard mountain passes and high places.

Never heard of this reference before - good spot.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sat May 23, 2009 3:47 pm  

If I ever noticed that bit, it was so long ago that I did not remember it, and I have have played characters who have been worshipers of Celestian.

I imagine druids paying homage to Celestian would be very rare and mostly found in high places with clear views of the night sky. They also would most likely have a strong interest in the elemental, their denizens, and travel to and from those planes, and also the astral plane as it is an intermediary gateway plane and their patron's home plane. Lower level druids don't seem well suited to being follwers of Celestian, but considering what druids aspire to become(Heirophants), they fit the mold just enough I guess. Still, kind of tough to define how they fit into things.

Last edited by Cebrion on Thu May 28, 2009 10:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Forum Moderator

Sat May 23, 2009 9:00 pm  

Good find Prata!

Well you can't say Celestian doesn't fit for druids. By extension, his brother Fharlanghn who is about travel could certainly have druids too.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat May 23, 2009 10:44 pm  

I can see Druids worshipping Celestian.

My take on Druids is that they would respect Beory, Celestian, Ehlonna, Obad-Hai, Procan, Atroa, Telchur, Sotillion and Wenta.

They may worship any of these gods at their primary deity, but will pay patronage to each of the other Nature Gods on their holy days and also should the need arise - eg pray to Ehlonna when the forest in under attack.

As servents of Nature I see that Druids and priests of these religions would have a non agression pact, for there are enough enemies of nature without fighting amongst eachother.

Admittedly the druids who follow Celestian as a primary god may be in the minority, but that would also depend on culture, eg IIRC elves and baklunish have great interest in the skies.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed May 27, 2009 3:54 pm  

I'd visualize them as astronomers. At lower levels they are stargazers, and I'd agree with the earlier posts about them being found mostly in high mountain valleys.

Mid-level Druids would be deeply involved in a study of the natural order of the celestial sphere, observing and tracking the movements of planets, comets and other such things.

High-level Druids start actually exploring the universe first hand (the 3rd edition presige class of planewalker comes to mind).

While most druids focus on living things (plants and animals) they also have an elemental component. Druids of Celestian just deal with things on a more macro level. Instead of a forest they are interested in worlds, instead of a herd of deer they watch the dance of the spheres.

I think it would also fit quite well with the whole wicca, earthmother, planet life force idea. Normal druids are content to draw strength from just mother Beory and Father Pelor. Celestian also realize there is strength in Beory's sibling worlds an Pelor's cousin stars.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:05 am  

I don't have access to to the "City Of Greyhawk" boxed set right now, but weren't the astronomers just outside of Greyhawk worshippers of Celestian?

Not neccessarily druids, but could be...
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: