JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Greyhawk video games
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Greyhawk video games
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:43 pm  
    Greyhawk video games

Considering the vast amount of D&D video games that have exsisted over the years, I find it odd that there are only 3 actually tied to the Greyhawk setting.

1. Temple of Elemental Evil (2003) for PC
    2. D&D Heroes (2003) for Xbox
    3. D&D tactics (2007) for PSP

How many of you would like to see either a multiplayer turn based game or an online mmorpg (the normal DDO is going f2p so imagine you don't pay a monthly fee) featuring the Greyhawk setting? And I mean in an expansive world (I own ToEE and enjoy it, but it is just one module) where you could actually walk the streets of Greyhawk and experience its majesty.

Maybe I am way off base here, but as many D&D games are out there and as much money as they pump into them, don't we deserve at least a Greyhawk version of Neverwinter Nights? If Brocken Realms is so exciting, and people for some odd reason are willing to play anything having to do with Eberon, then shouldn't they give Greyhawk a real try?

Maybe it is just my hatred for technology and high fantasy that makes Oerth the perfect world. But seriously, D&D wouldn't have made it to it's second printing without Gary's campaign world.

Sorry my "what do you think" post became a book again lol.
    Master Greytalker

Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:55 pm  

Yes, I'd like to see more video games set in Greyhawk. Not MMORPGs, though - I hate those things with a passion. Also, I'm rather particular about the kind of game I'm willing to play. Baldur's Gate was good, for example, but I dislike first-person shooters and similar games. Basically what I'm saying is that I'd like the game to mirror an actual gaming session as closely as possible.

But if I were a betting man, I'd put money on the appearance of more D&D video games (or something very like them) in a few years. At the very least WotC is going to get as much of the game online as they can, possibly even at the expense of giving up the tabletop version. At least, that's my prediction.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:23 am  

Only if it we're second edition....
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:20 am  

I think video games really hit their stride about the same time Forgotten Realms came out and started hitting its stride, so it makes sense that the computer/video games for D&D were centered there. Same generation. Why produce computer/video game products for people that maybe never got that into playing (i.e. Greyhawk grognards)?

That said, there are plenty of fan-created modules for Neverwinter Nights, even a Planescape group trying to create a version of Sigil. So, there's nothing stopping some dedicated Greyhawk fans from putting together a City of Greyhawk. I think the tools were included in the Gold Box (can't remember)? Heck, such a thing may already exist and it's just sitting around on-line waiting for you to download!
    Novice

Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:47 pm  

If you haven't done so already, I would head over to www.co8.org and take a look at the ToEE mods they have. Those crazy guys have even created a Keep on the Boderlands mod! Set in Oerth, too. Happy
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:09 pm  

i've read about modifications for NWN: lots of 1ed adventures. if im not wrong, theres even a tomb of horrors one
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:27 pm  

ramalama wrote:
    If you haven't done so already, I would head over to www.co8.org and take a look at the ToEE mods they have. Those crazy guys have even created a Keep on the Boderlands mod! Set in Oerth, too. Happy

That I have. ToEE won't even play on my main computer w/o the Co8 Mod Pack and despite running w/o it, I won't play it on my laptop w/o it lol. They went WAY out of their way to turn the glitchy buggy Atari release version, into something both playable and enjoyable!

Rock on Circle of Eight! (plus you have to love the name they chose)
    GreySage

Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:03 pm  
    Re: Greyhawk video games

kwflange wrote:
    1. Temple of Elemental Evil (2003) for PC
    . . . then shouldn't they give Greyhawk a real try?

I was unaware that ToEE existed in that format. (Over-the-Road truck driving will do that! Evil ) I'll have to find a copy and give it a try. Happy

Baldur's Gate isn't a bad game, I like it, but I agree with you: I'd love such a game based upon Greyhawk. Cool

I only wish I had the computer programing skills necessary to create such a game. Cry

Its regrettable that those who do have such talents apparently aren't interested in such a project. Mad

Long Live WoG! Happy
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: