#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Who are you?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Who are you?
    Master Greytalker

Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:35 am  

You know, their printing of a new edition doesn't mean you actually have to use it...
    Master Greytalker

Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:19 am  

Lol thanks for the words of wisdom. I do actually prefer 4e in many ways. I don't like the new magic items - I like the mechanic limiting their usage but not the items themselves - they're too cookie cutter.

I much prefer 4e monster generation rules. I lamet the monster fluff but there is no reason why I can't use my 1e and 2e monstrous compendiums to pad out the 4e stats.

As for everything else, the only players who grumble a bit about 4e are the cleric - who was very powerful and versatile inder 3e and the multiclass wizard who hasn't got round to playing yet - I playtested his character and he rocked so I expect he'll be ok when he does play.

The problem with 5e may just end up being that the online tools for 4e will evaporate when 5e comes out. As long as I can cope with that, I think I will stick with 4e for a while yet. Denha Deloran will rule mwaa haa haa (cough). That would never have happened under 3e.
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:04 pm  

oh, i had a narcoleptic beholder once, as npc
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:09 pm  

rossik wrote:
    oh, i had a narcoleptic beholder once, as npc

I once used conjoined beholder twins in an adventure. They looked like a giant hourglass with eyestalks on both ends.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:42 pm  

One of my favorite monsters I used was invisible. The party was thrashing around trying to find what was attacking them and then finally managed to dispel the invisibility....

It was a Medusa.

Mwwhhaaahaaahhaaaaha!
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:01 pm  

Thats diabolical!

Denis, aka "Maldin"
    Maldin's Greyhawk http://melkot.com
    Master Greytalker

Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:17 pm  

Varthalon wrote:
    One of my favorite monsters I used was invisible. The party was thrashing around trying to find what was attacking them and then finally managed to dispel the invisibility....

It was a Medusa.

Mwwhhaaahaaahhaaaaha!

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

I...am definitely stealing this idea.
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:04 pm  

I played a 2e dwarven Fighter/Cleric named Borin Hammerhelm in as one shot that took place in the orc over run southern wild coast a few weeks back, but I hardly ever get to play anymore.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:00 pm  

Can't remember his name but my last character in GH was back in 2e. He was a half-hobgoblin who had been raised among humans and become a fighter/magic-user (We were def houseruling). While playing through Keep on the Borderlands (Located near the Dreadwood in my DM's campaign) he found out that his father was the hobgoblin chief in the Caves of Chaos and "went native." It was like Reverse Dungeon before that came out. Adventuring was leading raids against the local human homesteads and caravans going to the Keep, until agents of Iuz killed my father for a powerful magic item that he had found and I was on the trail for revenge. never finished that campaign arc.

Most of the time in GH I was DMing.
    Master Greytalker

Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:59 am  

There aren't enough halflings around here, so...

I give you Dindil, a halfling fighter/thief I played for a short time several years ago. He was a complete sociopath, but had a soft spot for children and others who suffered at the hands of oppressors. Long before WotC created the Whisperknife prestige class, Dindil was sneaking into windows and cutting the throats of anybody who crossed him. Anyone who called him a "runt", "shorty", or otherwise insulted him would receive a blank, innocent stare and an obsequious, "Thank you, sir, I suppose I am a little too small and weak for that kind of thing," and later would find themselves with a poisoned dagger in the chest. It was great fun. My DM at the time - a sociopathic jerk himself - got Dindil into all sorts of trouble by "allowing" him to witness all sorts of abuses, which of course Dindil had to avenge.

But then he got himself locked in a room with all those trolls.... (*sniff*)
    CF Admin

Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:40 pm  

I got to DM my version of Castle Greyhawk back in June, at the inaugural North Texas RPG Con in Benton, TX (DFW area), but our current campaign is set in the JG Wilderlands, so I'm not playing in GH atm. (And, in fact when I take over the DMing reigns in the not-too-distant future, I'll be running S4 in the WL, since that's the group's main campaign atm).

Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:09 am  

rossik wrote:
    im DMing, but my npcs are:
    ... Petefour, the bard. The inside joke is that he is the forth Pete in the group, and all the others were henchmen who died.

The really humorous part to me is that when I read it, I pronounced Petefour in my head as "petty-four". ... and that's a completely different thing altogether.
    petit four (also Petitfore): noun [pet-ee fawr, fohr; Fr. puh-tee foor], plural petits fours
      a small teacake, variously frosted and decorated
      A small, square-cut, frosted and decorated piece of pound cake or sponge cake.
    Now, it's a coincidence, I am certain, but, it just makes it all the more hilarious to me.

And Aeolius ... and while I am at it ...
    Aeolius wrote:

dryad
    a gray elf with wings
    albino drow, female
    drow, male
    half-ogre, male
    Rhebus, minotaur
    wild elf
    Aqualus, aquatic elf, male: Yeah, go ahead - snicker.
    atomie
    juju zombie
    a portly half-orc bard

One of these days I'll get the chance to try my new PC, he's a spellstitched swarm-shifter dread necromancer emancipated spawn half-scrag sea kin lacedon with aboleth grafts. ;)

::snicker, snicker:: Really though, "Rhebus"? did he talk in symbols? and "Aqualus" ... you could've just said "Aquaman". But, you know ... you dream of underwater adventures, I know. Say, does that make them wetdr- ... Shocked <ahem> Nevermind.
    But I don't know ... all those races in there, I don't think anyone could accuse you of being xenophobic.

Maybe we should start calling you Captain James T. Kirk. Green dryad women and all. Shocked Wink
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:14 am  

I am currently playing in a Yahoo Greyhawk Group, 2nd edition, in The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh - we are having some good fun! My character is: Nadia Davrahtai, a half-elven female ranger; species enemy: gnolls.

My oldest GH character is probably a halfling thief named Arnilion. He was part of a group of "evil" characters that our DM ran through a mixture of published modules (D series) and his own take on Oerth - as I recall we did a lot of adventuring in the Pomarj and the Hellfurnaces. I think he was around 13th level when we retired the game - that was back in college in the 80's so my memory is a bit sketchy. Cool

I am all set to DM my first Greyhawk campaign - The Temple of Elemental Evil - starting next weekend via email. As someone lamented, it does take a long time, but I've found that with my schedule and the schedule of my old gaming buddies scattered throughout the nation, email works best. This will be a 2nd edition game and just about all of us (one player prefers 3.5) are excited about it.

And I'd like to thank Maldin for his great webpage - probably helped rekindle the flame to get back into Greyhawk a few years ago. Wink
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: