Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Who wants a Gallery?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Who wants a Gallery?

Are you in favor of an Art Gallery on Canonfire!?
    Yes
    97%
     97%  [ 33 ]
    No
    2%
     2%  [ 1 ]
    Total Votes : 34

GreySage

Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:14 pm  
    Who wants a Gallery?

Alright, in honor of our beloved Cebrion, here it is! Happy

Who wants to see an Art Gallery section on Canonfire?

Who thinks we should all "bludgeon PSmedger to death" (with PMs) until he gives us one?

I think an Art Gallery section to showcase the artwork of Greyhwak lovers -- like Glad27, Mortellan and others here -- would be a great thing. (chime in Icarus, you started this thing! Evil Grin) I think that it should have some sort of "link" like Cebrion suggested, whereby you can click on the picture and get a bit of "fluff" about the picture.

Come on everybody! Let's let the site administrator "see" what we think about it! Cool

(Hope I did the "poll" portion correctly!)

Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:28 pm  

Dangit!!
    Mystic-Scholar, you beat me to it!! I was going to start a thread, myself! I was busying myself by submitting a bit of artwork as an article, and starting a forum for it.

Although, i didn't get a poll when I loaded the page, I think that a gallery is a marvelous idea. It sould be great to have alot of things, especially commentary from the author if the artwork has relavence to GH. there's all kinds of stuff that could be included ... I will just include my thoughts that I was originally going to post to a thread ...

Great news!! There's a category for ARTWORK on Canonfire!! Some of us may not realize exactly how much stuff there is here on Canonfire, unless you're used to scouring through it all for a year or more! It has recently been brought to light that there is a category of Canonfire that is specifically for Art and Cartography!

So, I am putting out a call for artists to submit their artwork, to see what we can come up with! I know there are artists that do everything from pencil sketches to painting to digital art in Photoshop! There's plenty of room for comments (and viewers, don't forget to write some comments to encourage the artists), but you can even open a thread in the Reader's Workshop, for all of your viewers to talk about your artwork/article that you put up!

Almost without question, every author out there would love to have illustrations for their articles. Also without question is that Canonfire is very text-intensive! If we work together, there is a lot that we can do to make Canonfire look fantastic!

I would really like to encourage a lot of the GH fans to take an interest in the talents of other Canonfire members. There are a lot of great artists and writers in these forums, but I think that sometimes we tend to stifle ourselves by isolating ourselves. It's great to see so many people communicating with Glad27 about his artwork. I would love to see our community get together and encourage our fellow members to submit to our site.

We're all in this together, and as Summer is coming to an end, take a little time and look into what you can do, and find something that is fun for you ... and help out with making Canonfire a very active site. We want new contributions, we want to read new stories, and we want to see new artwork!! And if there's something that you would like to see, bring it up in discussion and make constructive suggestions about how the content could be nicely improved! It's all about what we, as fans, can do for each other. And the more new, fresh ideas and members, and fans who are actively bring those in ... the better Canonfire becomes.

Artists pull out those pencils, pens or digital tablets! There are plenty of us out there, and there's room for everyone! There's plenty of stuff that could be done, and every single artist can contribute great stuff - you never know when even the simplest sketch might inspire someone to write something! I would love to see submissions for a lot of things, but some ideas might include:
    ○ Scenes from popular modules
    ○ Group action scenes (This is very well displayed by Glad27)
    ○ Thumbnail portraits that players could use as PC portraits
    ○ Portraits of famous or infamous NPCs
    ○ Portraits of your favorite PC
    ○ Generic cartography, alá "Maps of Mystery" (continents, islands, buildings, dungeons, inns, merchant shops, etc.)
    ○ Area details of various geography of the Oerth
    ○ Art that you think might inspire an article
    ○ Anything that you think has a GH/fantasy flavor

And ultimately this isn't just a call for art!! Everyone can do something! It doesn't have to be a massive article that has a million hours of research behind it! Are you an organizer? Work on a database! A big reader? Find an obscure fact and just compile a list of references! A web crawler? Scour the 'net and help us find other resources, and make a thread about where to find stuff!! Do you like getting to read the first drafts of stuff before it comes out? Offer to be an editor! Big on web-programming? Offer to be a moderator! Take some of the load off of Cebrion! Like novels? Write a review of stuff you've read, and how it could be used in Greyhawk! (Just like the old Dragon magazine column "The Role of Books".) There's even a section for stuff that isn't canon stuff! Change GH all you want! Throw out the wackiest idea you ever had about why Ehlonna is actually a Medusa demi-lich, and toss it into The Heretic's Nest!

Come one, come all ... make Canonfire look beautiful!
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:21 pm  

Remember that this is a wish-list thing for now(EDIT: but it may happen sooner than later- no promises though, as things often move at a glacial pace around here Laughing). The purpose of a gallery is fairly obvious, so lay out what you'd like to see in one. We'll at least have extra ideas to draw from in addition to those we already have.

As to categories for such a gallery, the following are slated to be added when it becomes possible to do so:

*Product Library- A gallery of all things made for Greyhawk, from books and modules to miniatures.

*Art- Fan-made art, plus any other art that can legally be posted.

*Maps- Fan-made maps, plus any other maps that can be legally posted.

Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:36 am  

Generally when I run a campaign, I purchase a miniature for each player character in my group. Though its kind of foolish, I generally never re-use the same PC twice (at least in its current paint job). I would like to be able to put up all of the Greyhawk Player Characters from my campaigns and maybe a little blurb about them.

I would also like to see other people's characters as well.
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:46 am  

chaoticprime wrote:
    Generally when I run a campaign, I purchase a miniature for each player character in my group. Though its kind of foolish, I generally never re-use the same PC twice (at least in its current paint job). I would like to be able to put up all of the Greyhawk Player Characters from my campaigns and maybe a little blurb about them.

I would also like to see other people's characters as well.

thats a good idea, as it can be used as a "NPC bank" Happy

i voted 'yes' for a gallery
    GreySage

Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:08 am  

chaoticprime wrote:
    I purchase a miniature for each player character in my group . . . I would like to be able to put up all of the Greyhawk Player Characters from my campaigns and maybe a little blurb about them.

An excellent idea Chaoticprime! Happy

That would be a great thing to do! Everyone could get in on that! Even those of us who have no sketching talent! Cool

And I like Cebrion's suggestion on different categories. Right now, the true "artwork" is mixed in with maps, on the articles page. No, not disrespecting maps . . . All Hail Anna! Wink

I'm just saying that there should be a separate category for each; Maps, Art and Products. Can "we" think of anything else?

Since I don't know how to do it, can anyone supply this thread with a "link" to PSmedger's PM? Confused

We should all start "flooding" him with our PM's as soon as possible. I've already done so. Evil Grin

And thanks to my friend Icarus, who started it all. That's a magnificent list of suggested "contributions" my friend. Everyone needs to be involved. Happy Cool

We supposedly have thousands of members here on Canonfire!, but I haven't "seen" nearly half that many in the threads. Where are all of you? Let's do this good people of Canonfire! -- ideas, suggestions, critiques -- all are needed. You are needed. Yes, that's right, "Uncle Canonfire" wants you! (Someone insert the necessary artwork "here." {where are you Glad/Mort?} Evil Grin )

Vote on the articles you read (how easy is that Question ), comment on them, its called critqueing, a.k.a. participation! Laughing

Wouldn't it be great if Canonfire! ended up being the site that WotC, itself, referenced for Greyhawk information! Evil Grin Happy Cool Wink

What? You doubt? It could happen folks. Where else are so many Greyhawk enthusiast located, all in one place? Not enthusiast of Faerun or Mystara or Planescape or anything else . . . just Greyhawk fans. Only here, only on Canonfire! Wink

We could do it. But its going to take all of us working together. We can do it. Cool

Last edited by Mystic-Scholar on Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:34 am  

Sounds good,but canonfire should walk carefully.One of my best friends has a web site based on (i know this has nothing to do with greyhawk) northern indiana fishing.He put up a web site for fishermen for locale tips,good fishing spots and a place too put up your photos of fish you caught.He got in trouble for some photo's that someone put up of a bass pro master(copy right stuff).Now i'm not saying that some artists would get his panties all in a bunch if someone put his artwork on a web site.
    I've used artwork from other web sites for my capaign ( dragons,orcs,creepy looking houses ect..)and my players like the idea of having photo handout's.So my vote is yes.
    GreySage

Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:52 am  

baronzemo wrote:
    He got in trouble for some photo's that someone put up of a bass pro master(copy right stuff) . . . So my vote is yes.

Thanks for the vote! Happy

That's why Cebrion mentioned that the site is intended for Original Contributions, to wit; the original artist will post their own work. Shocked

Anything else must have the permission of the original artist for submission . . . No Copy Right Infringments Please! Evil

Ahhh, clarification! Evil Grin

Thanks again, Baronzemo! Cool

Last edited by Mystic-Scholar on Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:31 am; edited 1 time in total
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:44 am  

I wonder how feasible this would actually be. Don't get me wrong, it's an awesome idea - but would it entail and extra bandwidth cost or somesuch?
    Master Greytalker

Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:54 pm  

It seems to me sometime ago that certain people were wanting some way to make Canonfire a more attractive and useful site. I believe at the time they were talking about reworking the appearance of the webpages.

Now that I think of it, I also seem to recall a number of other people who were once all gung-ho to spread Greyhawk fandom to new players and hopefully springboard the setting into prominence once again.

Now I don't know much about art, and in my personal point of view I don't really care if Greyhawk ever becomes popular again. But I do know a few things about marketing since that's a big part of how I make my living. I usually charge a massive fee (you wouldn't believe how much) for this kind of advice, but since I was asked by someone whose respect I value, I've decided to give it to Canonfire for free. So here goes:

Gary, Ceb, Theocrat, and whoever - TAKE THESE IDEAS AND RUN WITH 'EM! You have here a near-perfect storm of talent, fan enthusiasm, and self-collecting market research. Any marketing pro in the world will tell you that the best way to move product is to associate it with attractive, evocative packaging and artwork, and if you have good artists willing to donate their work to your site you'd be fools not to take it.

And Theocrat, I know you're not technically supposed to profit from a website like this, but if you attract enough new fans and prominently begin to advertise for donations (strictly to cover your costs, of course Wink ) you could begin to make a decent living just by hosting this site. I know plenty of people who do. Good artwork prominently displayed is the best possible way (short of a real advertising campaign) to bring people to your site.

And Icarus, you're exactly right. The art will bring 'em in, but it's the fan contributions that are gonna keep 'em. Keep encouraging everyone to contribute. Ya never know, I might even contribute something myself someday.

(*Ugh! I can't believe I gave away good advice without charging for it. I feel sick. Maybe I should send a bill?*)
    CF Admin

Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:01 pm  

Cebrion wrote:
    Remember that this is a wish-list thing for now(EDIT: but it may happen sooner than later- no promises though, as things often move at a glacial pace around here Laughing).

We have a site features wish list?? Pointer please :D

Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:54 pm  
    GHO/Pictures?

Hi all -
    We have our Maps section on GreyhawkOnline.com/maps. Oerthman has been organizing them into sections.
    My post last night (Saturday 2009.09.19) mentions that maybe doing something like that but with pictures of artwork and other various things. Not a gallery per se, but at least a place where people could post their Greyhawk-eque artwork.
    Our bandwidth issues with CanonFire and GreyhawkOnline.com are pretty minimal and can be increased (at least with GHO, I have lots of bandwidth and space that isn't utilized like it was in the height of 3.5 on my other domains).
    As such, and as Cebrion stated, things do tend to move like a slowed turtle stuck in molasses around here - we could easily do things like this with GHO at a much faster speed (so long as there is some that is willing to be the Community Manager for the section).
    You all tell me.
    Be Well. Be Well Gallied.
    Theocrat Issak

Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:53 pm  

grodog wrote:
    Cebrion wrote:
    Remember that this is a wish-list thing for now(EDIT: but it may happen sooner than later- no promises though, as things often move at a glacial pace around here Laughing).

We have a site features wish list?? Pointer please :D

Yes, its called the Canonfire! & GreyTalk Help and Feedback forum. As if this doesn't reinforce one of the other points I am going to make below. rolleyes (yes, I know you did that purposely grodog Wink) Everybody read on...
    ___________________________________________________________________________________

I debated about whether to put this in grodog’s “Content Whip” thread or here, but I’ve settled on here as I think there are more points having to do with a Gallery and other current features of the site.

I’m going to go off on a bit of a tangent in way of providing a different perspective on things. I want everyone to keep that perspective in mind. What is that perspective? It is the “administrative perspective”- my perspective. Somebody has to handle all of the potential submissions to a gallery(among other things), and I am really the only one doing it right now. I’ll elaborate on what that means so far as the current features of the site are, and the potential use of a likely soon-to-be -added Gallery.

Mystic-Scholar wrote:
    And I like Cebrion's suggestion on different categories. Right now, the true "artwork" is mixed in with maps, on the articles page.

The primary reason for that, as Icarus previously pointed out elsewhere, is that there is only one true piece of art that has been submitted to the site as an Article. If people want to submit a whole bunch of art to the site then I will create an Article section for it. On second thought, I will do that now. Done. Read on as to why I have done this.

As to how the Gallery would work(I’m talking like there may one imminently even Wink), I imagine it will have to work very similar to how Article submissions work right now. People will not simply have open access to post whatever they want to in the Gallery. It will not be like a forum. In the Forum it is at least easy to track the latest posts and weed out anything that shouldn't be there, whereas a Gallery filled with bazillions of thumbnail pics might be a little more difficult to police. There’s no need for anybody to wander in there and see pics of any of our members and their closest fifty friends playing naked Twister. “Hmmm. ‘Olidammara’s Maze’. I wonder what that is a pic of?” Laughing

A Gallery with thumbnails for things certainly has the potential to look nicer(depending upon the art and ability of the contributor), but it may not work any differently than what we already have provided for that very same purpose so far as submitting material to the Gallery is concerned. For instance, chaoticprime mentions a possible Rogues Gallery area. If you followed that link(and noticed the title of the area) you will see that there already is a place precisely for this. I of course know this, as I specifically re-branded it for that specific purpose almost two years ago. Yes, I do get frustrated when people don’t take the time to see what has been put into place purposely for them to use, and if I make a point of pointing it out instead of fostering a new initiative I am seen as crushing people’s hopes and dreams- quite the contrary. People are just not seeing things from my perspective, which is both an administrative perspective and that of someone who has put in the work to put some of these features in place and as obvious as I can make them. All of those top bar tabs are actually important, which is why they are there. You’ll notice that “Articles” comes right after “Forums”. That is not a random thing. As to the Gallery interface though, and by this I mean the thumbnail point-and-click eye candy aspect of it, that will be very much nicer visually, and I very much look forward to it.

A Gallery will look nice, and yes, we do want to have one for various reasons, but you can already do everything that you are asking for a Gallery to do. And yes, that does frustrate me after having put things in place so that people can do exactly these things. This is not an issue of “We want this because we don’t have this.” It is a case of “We want this because we don’t have this. What? We do have something like this? I didn’t know that. Still, we want this too.” Well, I want “this” too, and we will have “this”; “this” being a *Gallery*. Happy

Also, maybe the front page Article content has skewed peoples' view of what the front page Articles are all about. Go to the Articles section and look at the variety of Article categories there. Take a peek into each section to see examples of what kind of things are in there. Want to submit a collection of spells collated into a nicely presented article(similar to Dragon’s “Pages from the Mages”)? Go right ahead. You want to submit a character and their background, and even stats for them(or not)? That is perfectly fine too. There are sections for those and more. Not everything needs to be campaign setting material. It can be anything that fits into one of the Article categories. It can be rules intensive or not. It can pretty much be anything you want it to be so long that it has to do with Greyhawk and is not plagiarism or offensive in some way(the only stipulations). At the very least, people can get their content submitted now so that it doesn’t all hit us at that same time when a Gallery does go up, because, if anybody else is like me, they have a stack of art just waiting to be submitted(sadly, I have no scanner). Give us a little bit of lead-time and start submitting your material now.

And yes, it looks like we will have a Gallery sooner than later. Cool So, in preparation of the Gallery opening(once again, I’m talking almost like this is going to happen “soon” Wink), please make use of what is already in place so that we can start moving some content before the Gallery officially opens rather than get deluged with it all at once when the Gallery does officially open. To some degree I am calling everyone out here- "Put your money where your mouth is." You want something really badly? Prove it. You can do so by submitting content suitable for one of the previously mentioned Articles sections, or you can submit images for the Gallery directly to me by e-mail at editors<at>canonfire<dot>com.

More to the point of this particular thread, keep the functionality and administrative requirements in mind when giving ideas for what could be done with a Gallery or anything else. By all means think up all manner of ideas, but also consider whether they are feasible/useful on a grand community scale too. I’m just asking for people to be realistic and consider the whole picture here, not shout them down. More ideas is more better. Happy

Last edited by Cebrion on Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:40 pm; edited 6 times in total
    Master Greytalker

Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:15 pm  
    Suppoorting the Gallery

Wow!! That is so great!!

I really want to offer some support here for the small staff of Canonfire! These guys, especially Cebrion in the case of the Gallery, are doing a really great job to support us, and our interests. one of the things that I really want to say is a reiteration of what Cebrion is saying:
    Cebrion wrote:
    start submitting your material now. ... To some degree I am calling everyone out here- "Put your money where your mouth is." You want something really badly? Prove it.

You know sometimes how a thing can get out of control really quickly in a really big way? Kind of like a snowball/avalanche effect? In a couple of threads now, I've kind of been cited as the instigator of the whole plot for the Gallery ... while I cannot say it isn't true, what I intended to be a small movement seems to have grown into a swiftly moving thing with support from the Admins and Fans both.

I am glad to see it. But, I will say ... I am going to be really embarassed if people who've clamored right along along with me don't show continued support. I want to see every single person with talent produce something that they can put up and say"that's my contribution." Even if it's just a sketch or two. Even if it's just meant to inspire others. Another idea is to have some people that will help artists come up with ideas ... as an artist myself, I know that a lot of times, I am just lacking inspiration, and hearing from other people who want to see my work helps get me on the drawing tablet.

I've already put in one of my classic Grayhawk Illustrations into the queue for submissions ... Have you?
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>
    Master Greytalker

Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:05 am  
    Re: Suppoorting the Gallery

Icarus wrote:
    In a couple of threads now, I've kind of been cited as the instigator of the whole plot for the Gallery ...

That's right, Icarus. It's all your fault. Now we know who to blame. Cool
    GreySage

Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:36 am  

In all fairness, Bubbagump, I must share the blame. Icarus and i shall go down together . . . or rise up in Glory!

Whichever comes first. Evil Grin

Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:00 pm  

Do you really want to move farther up the list, Scholar? Wink Laughing
    GreySage

Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:37 pm  

You mean I'm not at the top? Shocked

(*the Scholar breathes a sigh of relief*) Cool

Running low on antidote. Happy

Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:50 pm  
    Art Editing

For the sake of completeness, I thought I would mention where this has been headed in the past week or so.

I've since talked to Gary Holian (Senior Admin) and he's asked me to head up the art department here at Canonfire, in hopes that I can manage some artists for GH content, as well as art for new article submissions. So, if you're interested in offering a little sketch, or a full colour painting, digital or hand drawn, doesn't matter ... gimme a PM or email, and I would be happy to see if we can set something up. Also if you're submitting an article, let's see if we can liven it up a little by getting some pictures for it.

There's a newly seperated articles section just for art, and art alone. There's not much there, yet, but with hopes it will be filling in soon. As Cebrion has mentioned, ther will likely be an actual Gallery sooner rather than later, but, we have great tools here on Canonfire for just this reason. I already have been told about two incoming articles that I plan to have illustrators (and possibly a cartographer) for, and I have already submitted one of my pieces that I hope DM's will love (you can see a preview of it here), that should be on the main page within the next few days. (as soon as Cebrion is able to publish all the things in queue right now).

Here's to lookin' at a whole slew of new art on the pages of Canonfire!! I want you all to keep me busy!!
    GreySage

Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:24 am  

Well done Icarus! Happy

I'm sure I can speak for everyone when I say we're all looking forward to this new avenue opening up before us in which we can advance the cause of our beloved Greyhawk here on Canonfire!

I would really like to encourage all those that have such talent to contact Icarus. I know that Crag would be interested in some illustrations for his up coming "Special Edition" OJ, which Theocrat Issak has offered. And I certainly wouldn't mind an illustration for my upcoming submission.

And there are many others here that feel the same way, you may be sure. So please, if you have such talent let our new "Art Director," goodman Icarus hear from you.

Long live Greyhawk! Long live Canonfire! Cool
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: