Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Greyhawk Lore from Book of Wondrous Inventions.
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- Basic D&D
    Greyhawk Lore from Book of Wondrous Inventions.
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:37 pm  
    Greyhawk Lore from Book of Wondrous Inventions.

I posted this recently on another Basic D&D related forum, but never got around to putting it into the old lore section here.I had some misc notes from my campaign that go along with this post, and was tidying them up for posting, but misplaced the file now. If I find it, I'll add it here.

I recently stumbled upon my copy of Book of Wondrous Inventions for Basic D&D again, and flipped through it. While it's not labeled as a Greyhawk product, and not limited to Greyhawk in its fluff text for the items, there are some "interesting" bits of Greyhawk lore found within. I'll present them here for those without access to the book.

WARNING: Those of you with overly serious campaigns may wish to avoid adding these bits of lore. They are kind of silly Happy

Gnarly Gnelly
    Associated Invention: The Animated Money Changing Machine
    Gnelly is King of the Deep Gnome Kingdom under the Crystalmist Mountains. No stats are given, but from the description of the AMCM, Gnelly is obviously clever, greedy, chaotic, a tad lazy and possibly a coward.

Ardraken
    Associated Invention: Ardraken's Refreshment Simulacrum
    Ardraken is a wizard from Greyhawk city who has visited many planes in his adventures. While in a certain alternate prime known as "Earth", he became fascinated with vending machines, and upon his return to Oerth, he set about creating a simulacrum that would dispense tasty elixirs called "cola" in exchange for a couple coins. Like their creator, the simulacrums are friendly, when they are not malfunctioning...

Yori Kerlgortz
    Associated Invention: The Barber’s Aid
    Yori is a barber from the city of Irongate. After the sudden resignation of his apprentices, Yori convinced the city's ruler, Cobb Darg, to commission the creation of an automated hair and beard trimming contraption to assist him in his duties.

Borgora Hilltopper
    Associated Invention: Borgora’s Inflatable Scare-Dragon
    Borgora is a Dwarven adventurer from the Yeomanry. Once, he and his adventuring party were wandering the Hool Marshes after being expelled from Westkeep after being suspected of being Yeoman spies. Borgora discovered a stretchy substance (rubber) in the Marsh, and crafted it into balloons that were painted up as monsters to serve as decoys in battle. Borgora has since retired and opened a store in Keoland's Good Hills, where his creations may be purchased.

Wiiken
    Wiiken is a Hool Marshes hermit, who taught Borgora how to turn rubber into balloons.

Keeri Redhair
    Keeri was one of Borgora Hilltopper's adventuring companions, assumed slain by a band of werewolves in the Barrier Peaks.

Bit o' Lore
    Associated Invention: Ch’Thon’s Astral Ball
    Things of technology do not work well, if at all, on Oerth unless redesigned using common magics. - exact quote

Prinzan the Sly
    Associated Invention: The Dreadnought
    Once an ally of Iuz, Prinzan now lives somewhere on the Wild Coast, perfecting his warmachine (tank) to enable him to complete his goal of destroying the nations of Furyondy and Veluna.

Daredevil Cloudleapers
    Cloudbusters
    Cloudhoppers
    Skymobiles
    Airfarers
    Associated Invention: The Hot Air Balloon
    These are all groups of Halfling hot air balloonists from the Grand Duchy of Geoff.

Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:48 pm  

This is great. Didnt you say you were going to do a similar research of the Mystara references? :)

-Havard

Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:01 pm  

Havard wrote:
    This is great. Didnt you say you were going to do a similar research of the Mystara references? :)

-Havard

I do have that file, meaning to send it to what's his name at Vaults of Pandius one of these days.

Sadly, my opinion of the owner/admin of Piazza forum keeps my involvement there to a bare minimum, aside from some chit chat in the traveller area, so it won't appear there.

Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:40 am  

I'm sorry you feel that way.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: