ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - alcohol at your games
    Canonfire Forum Index -> The Backalley
    alcohol at your games
    Paladin

Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:33 am  
    Re: alcohol at your games

Donkas wrote:
    I love it when the Kick in the door players get wasted, concentrated Gung-ho ans stupid go hand in hand for great fun. Its always fun.
    The thinkers get dumb too. "***", one of the inevitably fails a balance check and falls into the pit.
    it dosent get too racousy, but adds a nice hum to the game.
    Durries are fine too.
    but I ban smoking weed, it slows down the game horribly, cuts character interaction, and roll play.
    Whats your opinion of grog, baccy or weed at a game?

I think the "opinons" are sidely Against this "mode" of entertainment. (and righty so)
    I have experienced many of the "character types" described in my "DMin career" and I have found the longevity of the game is not supported in the "hack n slash, kick the door mentality" games but in those campaigns rich in history, consitancy and mental challenge.
    With that said the game can't exist in the "fog of other entertainments" when it requires the wealth of good imagination, participation and comradery.
    And lastly, like Lanthorn, being relatively new to the site, I have been skulking about through new and old threads alike, and just felt a compulsion to throw two coppers at this for those that follow.
    GreySage

Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:49 pm  

At least you are in good company, Dark Lord Galen! Wink

-Lanthorn, Former Lurker and Skulker (no more!)
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:09 pm  

Yeah DLG,

Lanthorn is a full time poster now.

Later

Argon
    GreySage

Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:43 am  

You all can blame our illustrious Argon for that! Wink

-Lanthorn, Summoned of Argon
    GreySage

Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:04 am  

Argon wrote:
    Lanthorn is a full time poster now.

Razz

Like the Zen Master said . . . we'll see. Confused

He might be . . . Faking! Surprised Shocked Evil Grin

Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:10 pm  

MS,

I will not question Lanthorn on his trend of various posts. However, I am sure he will question us. I find his inquiries to be thought provoking. Besides he lurked long enough to come up with quite a few threads. I predict a new one from him by Tuesday. Shocked

Later

Argon Laughing
    GreySage

Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:03 am  

Damn!

Argon has broken free of my Geas spell! Shocked

No I have to find a way to ensnare him again! Hmm. Confused

Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:58 am  

(Deep within the bowels of Oerth...something begins to awaken...and stir...)

(Lanthorn, growing restless once more, hears the Summons of the Barbarian)

Evil Grin
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:53 pm  

If it is just one or two beers, or a glass or two of wine--I don't have a problem with it. Heck, I've even sipped on a Waterford crystal tumbler filled with a most smokey, warm, and wonderful 24-year old Glenlivet (that's a very fine, very expensive single-malt Scotch whiskey for any of you heathens out there, lol)while gaming. But not more than one.

Too much alcohol sometimes brings out the worst in people. A little, yeah, no problem. But when someone crosses the line and becomes an obnoxious prick--it is a problem.

I'm a smoker, but if anyone at my group objects, I take it outside. Even in my home--simply because its courteous. Weed or other illegals, I don't allow in any game I run, and I don't come back if it is at someone else's game. The law is the law, and I can't condone breaking it.

Master Arminas
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:04 pm  

I have never had any issues with alcohol at our gaming table. Most of us have a couple of beers during a session or a bottle of red wine gets opened.

Most of us smoke, but not around the table. We take a break when the session allows it.

I dont allow drugs in my house period and if I do happen to find one of my friends that feels a need .... well then he gets a smack up side the head!
    GreySage

Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:59 pm  

One thing is for sure...none of us seems to be a reveler/follower of Olidammara! Wink

-Lanthorn (primarily of the Summoner)
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:07 pm  

(Disclaimer: I am part owner of a beer distributorship. The "never trust a skinny chef" rule applies to beer men, as well.)

Granted, I run my weekly game in a chat room, so dealing with players burning down my house whilst snookered is never an issue. That being said, I'll have a few beers, when running my game. But I'll have a few beers when I'm not running my game, also... darn it... now I want a beer. ;)

I recall one evening I was sampling absinthe while DMing. The party ran into a swarm of tiny fey and I role-playerd every single one of them. They players seemed less than amused, but I had a blast! :D

One advantage to DMing online is I do not have to deal with cigarette smoke. Even the smell of smoke on clothes is enough to make me nauseous at times. Mind you, I do not fault them for their vice - if someone tried to take away my first cup of coffee in the morning, I would most likely maim them.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:10 pm  

i was looking for the gaming lair thread and stumbled upon this beauty. There is alcohol at our table but only socially. Like Lanthorn said DMing is serious business and there is no room for a buzz. I made enough mistakes in this my first attempt at dming sober that i will not do it under the influence.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:59 pm  

When I was DMing it got to be tradition to bring my 1.75 liter bottle of sour apple schnapps to lean the initiative board against. When I'd hit a wall of descriptive text (which I'm known for writing) I'd move the board and take a shot to lubricate the old vocal cords.

Usually there's beer, cider and the host might mix up some cocktails for those interested, but I've never seen it affect play in my current group. But then we also only ever play 3 hour sessions. Even with other groups I was ever only in one game where someone had too much to drink, and man did she get hammered. Talking her out of the bathroom kind of put a stop to the game.
    CF Admin

Tue Dec 25, 2012 10:00 pm  

Tolerance > Ignorance.

To each his own.

Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:28 pm  

Just noticed this thread. It's a topic I have some experience with...

First, a disclaimer: I am an alcoholic/drug addict. Not bragging, but also, not ashamed of it. I am clean and sober and have been for 4 years and change. Before that, I was a stranger to no chemical mind-altering substance, and an abuser of most.

I have gamed with and without drinking - I'm a better DM sober, that's for sure. I generally kept my chemical use for after the game, as I was not much fun around people when I used. My players were NOT alcoholics, and one or three drinks did nothing to hinder the flow or quality of the game on their part. I had to keep cannabis users away, though, as they just brought the game to a screeching halt. One of them spent the whole night's gaming just buying a mandolin.

Smoking (tobacco) was almost a requirement at my games. The grey cloud got so bad sometimes that smoke alarms went off. I feel so sorry now for the poor non-smokers who endured us! Now, of course, nobody (but me) smokes, and I am relegated to the howling wilds when my monkey needs feeding...

I admire those folks who never walked down the chemical road, as well as those who can 'handle' their tipple. I also have great respect for those of my friends who honor my current wishes to keep my surroundings chemical-free. But more than anything, I respect those who are tolerant of others and their differences; challenges, defects and all.

And that's my 2 drabs!
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:05 pm  

Congratulations on your 4+ years of sobriety. I've had and still have friends who are alcoholics. It's a tough row to hoe.
    GreySage

Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:52 pm  

Bugsy, in my mind, a hero is a mortal, frail and weak, who overcomes his own personal obstacles to become more than himself. Life is full of daily trials. We all have our demons that must be exorcised. I wish you continued strength to best yours.

best unto you and congratulations,

Lanthorn
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:49 pm  

wow..thanks to you both. At this point is just a fact like being right-handed. I make my meetings and life continues to get better every day.
    GreySage

Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:50 am  

bugsy wrote:
    wow..thanks to you both. At this point is just a fact like being right-handed. I make my meetings and life continues to get better every day.

I'm glad to hear it, bugsy. I want you to know that you have my support. Smile

SirXaris
    GreySage

Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:54 pm  

SirXaris wrote:

I want you to know that you have my support. Smile

"And my bow!"

"And my axe!"

Oooopppsss...sorry....LoTR Tourette's! Cool

In all seriousness, our best.

-Lanthorn
       Canonfire Forum Index -> The Backalley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1