Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - FREE LG adventure!
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    FREE LG adventure!
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:15 pm  
    FREE LG adventure!

I got this scope from EN World. So incase anyone doesn't know . . .

There's a free mini-adventure for those of you wondering how the LG scenarios are formatted. I just glanced at it, but it looks like it has some nice elements.

http://living-greyhawk.com/
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:17 pm  

I've been told that it's free to join the RPGA and access all the LG adventures. Is this true?

I always thought there was a membership cost involved?
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:30 pm  

I thought there was a membership fee as well.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:12 am  

Hi guys,

Yea, The last time I checked years ago, You had to pay. It was like a 1 year membership, and a life time membership. I don't belive it was very high amount to join, But like I said, That was many moons ago. It might have changed.
    Master Greytalker

Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:50 am  

Membership of the RPGA is free and allows you to access and download from their adventure library (also for free).

P.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:01 am  

Thanks Woesinger! It had been soooooooo long since I looked into the RPGA to join.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:06 pm  

This isn't much of an "adventure", as such. It's more like 3 short encounters that should really connect to a larger story arc.

Are all LG adventures like this? I guess they have to be coz you've only got 4, or so, hours of playing time.
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:27 am  

Woesinger wrote:
    Membership of the RPGA is free and allows you to access and download from their adventure library (also for free).

P.

Only partially true. You can download current core adventures & regional adventures in your region, & metaregional adventures in your metaregion only.

You're SOL if you, for instance, live in Florida (Principality of Ulek) & want an adventure that takes place in Verbobonc (IN & IL), or if you want to play a "retired" adventure from ANY region. In order to get that stuff, you have to utilize other channels. . . .
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Jun 26, 2004 3:00 am  

Robbastard wrote:

You're SOL if you, for instance, live in Florida (Principality of Ulek) .

You're screwed period if you want to get involved in LG and live in Florida (as I did until recently.

The triad sucks, plain and simple.

Their plots and adventures ignore the major plots in the region (Orcs in the Pomarj for example, ignored in most of their material in favor of such innovative scenarios as "rescue the merchant's kidnapped little brat").

The triad has no interest or effort invested in promoting the campaign throughout the state (and god forbid you live in Puerto Rico...). If you live outside of Miami, where an unaffiliated (with the Triad at least) gaming club actively promotes organized play, you're on your own.

The triad actively dissuades people from participating and contributing ideas and material.

The triad stubbornly ignores the regional plots of its Greyhawk neighbors, especially Keoland.

Write to the RPGA, get the Florida triad dismissed and replaced.

Sat Jun 26, 2004 3:04 am  

Robbastard wrote:

Only partially true. You can download current core adventures & regional adventures in your region, & metaregional adventures in your metaregion only.

You also need to pass the little online DM Test to be able to download scenarios, so if, like me, you don't play 3.whatever edition and just want some GH goodies, you had better get with a 3e fan and make a cheat sheet.

Sat Jun 26, 2004 4:32 am  

Baggins wrote:
    This isn't much of an "adventure", as such. It's more like 3 short encounters that should really connect to a larger story arc.

Are all LG adventures like this? I guess they have to be coz you've only got 4, or so, hours of playing time.

Haven't seen the adventure yet - but it sounds like a short intro scenario to whet people's appetites.

A typical one round (ie to run in about 5 hours) LG adventure will have 4-6 encounters, of which about half will be combat and half roleplay (depending on the author). They've got defined quotas of EL's of challenges to throw at players, depending on the Average Party Level.
    Two rounders have double the ELs to fling peoples way.

On downloading LG - yes - you're limited by your home region for regional and metaregional LG modules.

P.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Jun 27, 2004 8:11 am  

And xp is limited to 30/pc/EL. Meaning, a party of 4 characters gets "less" xp than a party of six characters for defeating the same threat. Less in terms of the total xp awarded, which should be evenly divided among the pc's, is less.

And if you're wondering, using a similar formula rather than the chart to award xp comes out to 60-75 xp/pc/el for 4 pc's.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Jul 02, 2004 2:20 am  

Texas is sucky, too. We're the Bandit Kingdoms, currently under Iuz's heel.

So pretty much any Good character is out. Anytime a Priest o' Iuz shows up, you have to show respect to the Big Nasty. Great way to tick off your god.

Although I've heard that things are changing in the area. Not interested enough to go play with the LG'ers, but it's a step in the right direction.

Also, the campaigns have such a reputation for low payout that searching through something nasty (like a Gel. Cube or a monster's innards) for treasure is called, "Greyhawking" by a lot of my gamer friends.

Telas
    Forum Moderator

Fri Jul 02, 2004 5:19 am  

Yeah it makes you wonder if the RPGA stretched themselves too thin? If some of the US triads blow, what about the international ones? I know the UK does alot of good work with Onnwal, but does Canada put out much effort?
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:04 am  

It's not the triads (the local admins) who are generally coming up short. It's the Circle of Six (the campaign admins) who seem to keep stifling the "local" feel the campaign espoused when it began. Micromanagement problems.
    Master Greytalker

Tue Jul 06, 2004 12:53 am  

"Its not the triads (the local admins) who are generally coming up short. It's the Circle of Six (the campaign admins) who seem to keep stifling the "local" feel the campaign espoused when it began. Micromanagement problems."

Do you have any evidence to back that statement up?

P.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:55 am  

Woesinger wrote:
    Do you have any evidence to back that statement up?

P.

Nothing that isn't covered by an NDA.
    Novice

Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:34 am  

Robbastard wrote:

You're SOL if you, for instance, live in Florida (Principality of Ulek) & want an adventure that takes place in Verbobonc (IN & IL), or if you want to play a "retired" adventure from ANY region. In order to get that stuff, you have to utilize other channels. . . .

A few weeks ago I chatted to a couple of triad-level and above people about the availability of LG adventures, and in particular the retired ones, and one of the comments I received was:
    A senior RPGA person wrote:
    ... we do not distribute retired RPGA adventures for any reason. At this time Wizards of the Coast does not have any plans to publish tem or otherwise make them generally available.
    Although this may be beneficial to the LG campaign as a whole -- making it far more "living" in a sense -- it does mean that non-LG Greyhawkers have no access to most, if not all, of the current information about the setting, and that there's currently no intention to reprint it. I expect that the best we can hope for is an updating of the LGG at some point, essentially reseting it's default year to, say, 595.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: