Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - A Map of Oerth!
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    A Map of Oerth!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:12 pm  
    A Map of Oerth!

I have the standard Greyhawk maps from stuff like (Greyhawk Box Set) etc etc but I am looking for a map thats the standard poster size of Greyhawk that shows the lands that are to the north south and west that arent shown on the standard campaign maps. Might be nice to see information on these uncharted lands as well.

For Instance, what is the map in? Is it in a Greyhawk book of somekind in poster format that I can use? there are all kinds of lands off the standard map that I would LOVE reading about.
    http://www.greyhawkonline.com/duicarthan/oerth.jpg

Are there other books that describes these other lands in detail?

Anyone know of anything that can help me?
    GreySage

Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:40 pm  

Theocrat Issak has created this site for the collection of all fan created/generated maps for Greyhawk. The Duicarthan map you linked can be found there as well.

http://www.greyhawkonline.com/maps/

Hope this helps. Cool

Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:06 pm  

The Duicarthan map? Exactly what is a Duicarthan? I have never heard of that. What about books, sourcebooks etc for these other lands, are there any?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:44 pm  

Damaja wrote:
    Exactly what is a Duicarthan?

Is a person, Rick "Duicarthan" Miller...

Look at http://www.greyhawkonline.com/duicarthan/duicarthan.html

The map is part of the "Beyond the Flanaess: Oerth World Development Project". More info at http://www.oerthjournal.com/templates/beyondtheflanaess.pdf

Sergio :-)
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:51 pm  

I'm not familiar with that site, so I'll sidestep the Duicarthan issue, but let's get our terminology clear.

*Greyhawk is a city and a name for a TSR setting.
    *The Flanaess is the area you see on all of the offical campaign maps TSR made (between the Sea of Dust and the Solnor Ocean).
    *Oerth is the planet.

It sounds like you're looking for an officially published, poster-sized map of all Oerth. There isn't one.

The first official map of Oerth appeared as a little, one page sketch in Dragon Magazine annual #1.

It was reprinted, shrunk, and modified slightly in the big 3E Living Greyhawk Gazetteer.

Next best is a pretty nice, half-page, geographical map of the continent Oerik and some surroundings in the old 1980 Greyhawk Folio. It was shrunk and reprinted again in the 1983 box set.

That's about it. There was a four-part series of Greyhawk poster maps printed in Dungeon Magazine. If you can track them all down ($$$), they expand the the old 83 WoG and 92 FtA poster maps by a few miles but nothing huge.

IMO, one positive side effect of Greyhawk being abandoned during the Gygax purge and again in 94 is that there aren't a billion Taladas/Mazteca/Kara-Tur/Al-Qadim supplements trying to describe the rest of Oerth, it never grew beyond the original lands described in the Folio.

If you like Sean K Reyonds, he expanded Hepmonaland and the Amedio in The Scarlet Brotherhood accessory.

Frank Mentzer's R series modules were officially part of a new continent (Aquaria) in Gygax's Greyhawk and are worth tracking down at least in electronic form. Greyhawk references were removed in the I12 Egg of the Phoenix collection.

The Oriental Adventures hardback was originally intended to mesh with Greyhawk but was moved to the Realms at some point.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:04 am  

vestcoat wrote:
    ...There was a four-part series of Greyhawk poster maps printed in Dungeon Magazine. If you can track them all down ($$$), they expand the the old 83 WoG and 92 FtA poster maps by a few miles but nothing huge.

FWIW, Paizo has each of the four segments of this map available for sale. You can also buy all four as a bundle for a slight discount.

Dr. A
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:29 pm  

Dr_Asworth wrote:
    vestcoat wrote:
    ...There was a four-part series of Greyhawk poster maps printed in Dungeon Magazine. If you can track them all down ($$$), they expand the the old 83 WoG and 92 FtA poster maps by a few miles but nothing huge.

FWIW, Paizo has each of the four segments of this map available for sale. You can also buy all four as a bundle for a slight discount.

Dr. A

Wow Shocked That's a pretty good deal.

The effort I made two years ago to track down all four of those maps (with the magazines I didn't want) was incredible. I was scouring the world, having my girlfriend translate email orders to game shops in Italy. Paizo was out of a couple issues at the time and I'm fairly certain they didn't offer the separate maps. The original issues still go for quite a lot on ebay if they include the maps.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:55 pm  

vestcoat wrote:
    let's get our terminology clear.

*The Flanaess is the area you see on all of the offical campaign maps TSR made (between the Sea of Dust and the Solnor Ocean).
    *Oerth is the planet.
    I perfectly understand what the proper wording is ..... I don't need to be educated sir (and yes, in case you didn't notice, I took that in a very negative way with how you said that)

But anyways getting back on track, it has been many years since I gamed in D&D, recently myself and a small group of friends decided the time was right once again to start it back up. I have been playing since Chainmail.

I am thinking about creating my own world map using the Greyhawk official map. I can add the new sections on to the standard map very easily. I made up a generic map a little while back from the Greyhawk map and changed the layout a little bit. I never used it though but it was fun making it. http://www.damaja.org/DnD/Map.JPG I wanted to adjust the land masses even more, but got tied up with another project and stopped messing with the map. I would do the new lands in the same fashion.
    Master Greytalker

Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:06 pm  

Impressive work!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:16 pm  

Just done some reading in http://www.oerthjournal.com/templates/beyondtheflanaess.pdf and I see "some" of these new lands are discussed in a small amount in the little book I listed above.

Question: are there any other journals that tell about these lands? Possibly in some of The Living Greyhawk journals, I think I saw somewhere some Oerth Journals or something close to that. I would love to read up more on these lands.

Anyone?
    GreySage

Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:27 pm  

vestcoat wrote:
    The effort I made two years ago to track down all four of those maps . . . was incredible. I was scouring the world.

Always check the forums here first. Canonfire! is the best place to "find" Greyhawk specific information. Wink

Dr_Asworth, very nice links, thanks for that information. Cool

Damaja, Awesome work. Happy

And to enlarge upon rol-oeste's comment/answer; Duicarthan is the name Rick Miller uses in the forums. Rick "Duicarthan" Miller is the Editor of the Oerth Journal. Wink

The link I gave you to Theocrat Issak (Haywood)'s site contains a great many Oerth maps that are fan created. I thought they might offer you some ideas on your own home-brew WoG.

Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:02 pm  

Mystic-Scholar wrote:

Damaja, Awesome work. Happy
    gonna try to do the same thing but build a Greyhawk map with all that new extra lands on it as well. Might be a fun project.
    GreySage

Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:46 pm  

Damaja wrote:
    gonna try to do the same thing but build a Greyhawk map with all that new extra lands on it as well.

Check out Issak's site. Lots of ideas there, believe me. Wink

Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:06 pm  

Damaja, the link here http://www.oerthjournal.com/templates/beyondtheflanaess.pdf summarized various lands outside of the Flanaess. The descriptions of the lands in the pdf are excerpted from the Dragon Annual which also contains a map of Oerth, including lands outside of the Flanaess and names for them. Other than for those basic descriptions, almost nothing official has been published for the lands outside of the Flanaess. Basically, it is all blank slate. Some folks are working to put together information of their own on various areas, myself included, and their names are noted as being the "Regional Coordinators" in the pdf.

Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:55 am  

Someone needs to make sure that map gets posted to the GHO/Maps section...don't want that map falling off the Internet!

The Oerth Journal is much older than the Living Greyhawk Journal.
    Gary Holian (author of the Living Greyhawk Gaz), Erik Mona (publisher of Paizo/Pathfinder RPG), and Roger Moore (not of 007 fame) were the founders and first authors of the Oerth Journal back in the early 90's.
    Erik left it around issue 8. Maybe even earlier. There were about 12 or so issues under this first 'banner' group. Many TSR authors wrote for the Oerth Journal in their spare time. Around 2000 when 3.5 was announced, Jason Zavoda picked up the Oerth Journal 'banner' and produced an issue or two. Then Marc Gonzalez (M:tG) became editor for a few issues. After that, Marc gave me the 'publishing rights' to the OJ and we had Phil and another person as editors. From Marc's involvement onward, the OJ has been really strong. Rick Miller became the editor and the OJ became even stronger. He may not have the gun skills of Roger Moore, but what he has brought to the title is much more. PDF, art, bigger issues and such.

But the OJ and the Living Greyhawk Journal are different. Erik Mona began the LGJ with WotC and the RPGA when Living Greyhawk came about - from his days with the OJ. The LGJ had about 12 issues before it was rolled into Dragon/Dungeon magazines and then later phased out. The Oerth Journal has never been 'Canon' - except to those of us that believe that the writers are providing good work that should be. I personally have reviewed many of articles as they have gone through the process. The research alone is often more massive than a college term paper. An example of why I disliked Sean K Reynolds for so long is that his Lazydread modules were never researched for Greyhawk materials. The Doomgrinder? Come on. That stuff would not fly in the OJ, because we would have fans bitchin' at us for making stuff up as we went along. So you can review the OJ with a canonical eye.
    This same concept goes with much of the work that is going towards the 'Beyond the Flanaess' articles for the OJ. These are written by people that are authors/editors in their own right (Bubbagump) and that are Greyhawk fanboys. Meaning that if they say that Junkbond-Hero was the one that saved Princess Burnttoast from Erypt, you can be sure that they have a reason for proposing it. It might have been an obscure reference, but they found it and expanded upon it. It might have just said that there was a hero that saved Burnttoast in an actual canonical product - but it's that level of detail that the OJ provides.

If you have more Greyhawk goodness - canonical, non-canonical, or just plain Gaming related that could fit into someone's Greyhawk somewhere - please pass it along. The idea of GreyhawkOnline.com is to house that stuff. So that when you are no longer interested in Greyhawk someone could stiff find use for your stuff. CanonFire.com is owned by Gary Holian, but he is very inactive (he reads stuff, doesn't post much here). It's more for people to post their stuff, and article here or there. Gary and I are not competing, GreyhawkOnline.com is more of a repository. Just put your stuff up there and it will be there. For as long as I can pay the bills.

Questions? I'm sure someone will pipe in. Like Mystic Scholar. I swear he should be digging holes in the back yard someplace in Texas.

Be Well. Be Well Journaled.
    Theocrat Issak

Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:33 am  

That's our Holy Theocrat . . . no respect for Archeology. Razz

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:45 am  

Damaja wrote:
    vestcoat wrote:
    let's get our terminology clear.

*Oerth is the planet.
    I perfectly understand what the proper wording is ..... I don't need to be educated sir (and yes, in case you didn't notice, I took that in a very negative way with how you said that)

I missed the obvious "Oerth" in the thread topic and was confused by the unclear language in the post itself. Please note that I did go on to answer your question, summarize all of the official sources, and list all TSR/WotC published maps.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:45 pm  

vestcoat wrote:
    I missed the obvious "Oerth" in the thread topic and was confused by the unclear language in the post itself. Please note that I did go on to answer your question, summarize all of the official sources, and list all TSR/WotC published maps.
    Well it still stuck a nerve but its over with.

Anyways, ya I downloaded that PDF and looked it over, it is pretty sketchy, and thats why I was asking if there were any other sources that detailed those lands more in depth.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: