JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - monster-spawning regions
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    monster-spawning regions
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:33 am  
    monster-spawning regions

What do you guys think of designating certain regions of the Oerth as 'monster spawning regions, from whence come many (though by no means all) of the strange abberations of nature that populate the D&D/WoG bestiaries?

I'm thinking that if I run GH again, I'll treat the Land of Black Ice, the DeepOerth, and the Sea of Dust like this. Could it be fallout from the Rain of Colorless Fire, dimensional rifts, a remnant of the aforementioned primal ooze, the warping influence of imprisoned entities?
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:43 am  

If you do the work I will probably use it.
    Master Greytalker

Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:05 pm  

In essence, that is the function of the certain areas already.

Even moreso after the wars: entire regions revel in depravity such as the lands of Iuz or the Great Kingdom as does the monster breeders of the SB. The various humanoid nations like the Pomarj or local secluded mountains/forests also provide ample "spawn" areas for potential adversaries.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:01 pm  

My concept is not just that monsters will breed naturally in certain regions, but that freakish creatures will be produced by the warped environments of certain regions. This might be mutation by magical forces, Oerthblood, etc. It might even be actual spontaneous generation of beasties from the physical environment. Many of the monsters thus created may be sterile or have low fertility. Perhaps they are better able to breed in their native homes.

I'm somewhat inspired by CAS's Ubbo Sathla, and also by Harn's Ilvir and his Invashu creations. I don't know that I'd use a god, per se, although a foul avatar of Beltar breeding monsters in the DeepOerth is attractive...

This approach helps to square 'Gygaxian naturalism' with an Earthlike world overrun by bizarre monsters.

The 'unusual zones produce unusual critters' approach helps to explain:

how various unusual monsters might have come to be

why the whole world isn't swamped by weird beasties, but somehow retains an earthlike ecology

why ordinary predators like bears, wolves ,etc remain competitive
    Forum Moderator

Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:30 pm  

Good topic, CM! Does the Barrier Peaks region of the crashed ship count? If one used the adventure Gates of Firestorm Peak that would be a good source of mutant monsters too. Natural Flanaess-wise, Thillonria and the Corusk-Griff chain is a very wild area for monsters to breed. Also I think the Burning Cliffs/Wastes has potential.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:04 pm  

mortellan wrote:
    Good topic, CM! Does the Barrier Peaks region of the crashed ship count? If one used the adventure Gates of Firestorm Peak that would be a good source of mutant monsters too. Natural Flanaess-wise, Thillonria and the Corusk-Griff chain is a very wild area for monsters to breed. Also I think the Burning Cliffs/Wastes has potential.

Yes, the Barrier Peaks region with the crashed starship counts.
    Aurumvorax! Froghemoth! Vegepygmies!

Good call on Gates of Firestorm Peak. That's one that I own but have never run.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:24 pm  

Yes, this is an interesting topic.

I've thought about this some as well.

It had occurred to me for a while that places of evil (unholy sites, places of great tragedy or whatnot) would attract evil creatures like orcs, etc., and/or warp natural creatures into other forms (i.e., like giant spiders or centipedes). (I think I got that idea from Tolkien, but i'm not sure...)

It also occurred to me that some monsters can be explained through a process of being warped by a foul place while others, like bulettes or beholders are completely alien to other lifeforms. So I thought, 'hey, could there be a fantasy antecedent to a nuclear bomb?' Instead of radiation altering DNA, magical emanations could cause this alteration in natural creatures? Areas where monsters naturally 'spawn' could be areas where long lost (and forgotten) civilizations had a magical nuclear exchange. Not too dissimilar from the Wyld effect from Exalted.

those are my thoughts
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:41 pm  

I was thinking that the Rain of Colorless Fire may have left magical radiation in its wake.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:18 pm  

CombatMedic wrote:
    Yes, the Barrier Peaks region with the crashed starship counts.
    Aurumvorax! Froghemoth! Vegepygmies!

Good call on Gates of Firestorm Peak. That's one that I own but have never run.

Yep! Good subject! Some of the starship monsters have spread. There's a froghemoth in the Wild Coast in the adventure "Setting Sun" from Dungeon # 73.

Lake Aqal has some weird critters, though if I remember they're mainly giant versions of pre-existing creatures.
    GreySage

Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:27 pm  

CombatMedic wrote:
    I was thinking that the Rain of Colorless Fire may have left magical radiation in its wake.

In that case, there's no telling what's being spawned in Rauxes! Shocked Evil Grin

(Other than the two headed man, of course Wink )

And let's not forget Chathold. Evil Grin

Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:24 pm  

CombatMedic wrote:
    I'm somewhat inspired by CAS's Ubbo Sathla, and also by Harn's Ilvir and his Invashu creations. I don't know that I'd use a god, per se, although a foul avatar of Beltar breeding monsters in the DeepOerth is attractive...

This totally reminds me of that Erol Otus picture of Shub-Niggurath from the original Deities and Demigods.
    This one:

I love the idea that deep in the Underdark there's this gargantuan semi-aware protoplasmic ooze giving uncontrollable birth to thousands of horrors and mutations.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: