JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Private property in the City of Greyhawk
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Private property in the City of Greyhawk
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:22 am  
    Private property in the City of Greyhawk

Does anyone know if there is a residency requirement for property ownership within the City of Greyhawk?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:36 am  

Iron Golem,

There was a really nice adventure written by Roger Moore in Shadis #50 (and reprinted here, for your convenience: http://www.rpgarchive.com/index.php?page=adv1&advid=101), called "The House On Summoner Court". In the adventure, players are involved in the auction of Otiluke's former home (after he was killed by Rary in the events that saw him begin building his empire in the Bright Desert). If you would like a blow-by-blow account of how property is auctioned off in Greyhawk...that's probably the best place to start.

A short answer to your question: No--in the adventure, there was no stipulation about being a resident in the city to purchase the house.

Hope that helps!

TCM
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:07 pm  

Actually, according to GoF page 77, there is:

Quote:
    Foreigners are not permitted to purchase property in the Free City. After seven consecutive years of residence (at least six months each year) in the city, a foreigner may apply for citizenship. Provided he has two citizens to vouch for him, and no record of troubles with the watch or influential guilds, citizenship is granted.

Interestingly, it does not discuss the rights and duties of citizenship in detail, nor does it say how this affects those living in the doman but outside the walls.
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:08 pm  

tarelton wrote:

Interestingly, it does not discuss the rights and duties of citizenship in detail, nor does it say how this affects those living in the doman but outside the walls.

Fortunately, a DM will never need to invent those details as that last clause effectively prohibits PCs from becoming citizens!

Quote:
    and no record of troubles with the watch or influential guilds...

Happy
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:12 pm  

Heh, that would make it hard for most adventurers worthy of the name. Though perhaps a great service to the city (destroying a Cult of Iuz perhaps?) could expunge the record.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:00 am  

Check out my take on PCs trying to acquire property in the City of Greyhawk. ;)
    http://melkot.com/mechanics/deed.html
    I really did inflict this upon my players.

Denis, aka "Maldin"
    Maldin's Greyhawk http://melkot.com
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:10 am  

Great stuff Maldin Laughing
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:51 am  

That is great, Maldin. I'm definately going to have to use a variation of that run-around for my PC's soon!

I had not read of (or had forgotten) the 7 year residency requirement for property ownership within the city. How would this affect the Foreign Quarter? Are we to assume everyone there newer to the city than 7 years rents property? Maybe that's the only portion of the city where property can legally be sold to residents not meeting the 7 year requirement. That seems to make the most sense.

Dukan
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:02 pm  

I remember having read Registering the Deed a couple or so years ago. Great stuff! Thanks for the reminder, Maldin. I've been inflicting the harsh realities of life on the accumulated wealth of the party in my current campaign and they aren't caring for it. You should have seen it when I imposed the Adventurer's Tax on them the first time they came back to the Keep on the Borderland after setting out from there to settle the hash of some goblin bandits -

Player 1 - "Tax! What tax? He didn't say anything about a tax when we left!"

Me - "Yeah, it must have slipped the guard corporal's mind."

Player 2 (grumbling) - "Okay, we got 100 gp from the goblins."

Me - "No, you have to count up all your wealth. Even what you had when you left the keep."

Player 3 - "What!? That's not fair!"

Me - "Hey, how is he supposed to know what you had and what you didn't when you left? You didn't register it with the guard at the gate. You could be lying."

Another thing I did just to stir things up, at the suggestion of a Dungeon or Dragon article about handling magic items, was have a shady group of dwarves recognize the armor that the party's halfling had looted off the dead body of a dwarf in the last adventure. Seems that the dwarve's cousin disappeared while adventuring in the same dungeon and now his kinsmen know what became of him they want his armor back. Of course they didn't offer to pay the halfling player for it, they just waited until the party was weak from just having fought some hobgoblins and rushed them from behind, demanding the armor. The party killed them, so now, instant blood feud with the Bronzeknuckle Clan, which is led by a certain Obmi. Evil Grin
    GreySage

Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:18 pm  

Maldin wrote:
    Check out my take on PCs trying to acquire property in the City of Greyhawk . . . I really did inflict this upon my players.

And all this time I thought you were busy teaching classes! Shocked

Man, that document is what I call "having too much time on your hands." Evil Grin Laughing

GREAT stuff, Maldin. Thanks! Cool

Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:58 pm  

Maldin, you've brought the DMV experience to Oerth! That was awesome.
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:32 am  

Damn, Maldin. Damn.
    Adept Greytalker

Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:06 am  

Dukan said,

Quote:
    I had not read of (or had forgotten) the 7 year residency requirement for property ownership within the city. How would this affect the Foreign Quarter? Are we to assume everyone there newer to the city than 7 years rents property? Maybe that's the only portion of the city where property can legally be sold to residents not meeting the 7 year requirement. That seems to make the most sense.

Actually, on the same page in GoF it states that
    Quote:
    "...all foreigners who rent a residence (as opposed to taking a room at an inn, even for several weeks) must find such a residence in this [the Foreign] quarter. Of course foreign nobles and official guests of the city are exempt from the restriction.

So, property in the foreign quarter can still only be owned by citizens, but if a foreigner seeks to rent anything more than an inn room, he has to dwell here in what is essentially a foreign ghetto.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:24 pm  

Ah-ha, that explains it. Thanks for the follow-up Tarelton. Now I need to dig up a copy of GoF from somewhere. :-)
    CF Admin

Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:54 pm  

Denis: you're a genius, and you must run a fabulous Paranoia game, too, eh? :D
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: