Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - The Great Western Road.....
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    The Great Western Road.....
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:13 am  
    The Great Western Road.....

Hey all...I'm working on my Greyhawk Campaign..I'm planning my campaign around the Veluna / Verbobonc Area....
    I'm gathering all the information i can about the area...
    As you probably read in my other post, I'm starting my campaign with the Sunless Citadel...
    I'm thinking about putting my town of Oakhurst on the Great Western Road...Between Veluna City and Devarnish....
    and also, i'm gonna run the Forge of Fury adventure somewhere in the Lortmil Mountains...
    I'm trying to find all the information i can on the Great Western Road....
    How wide is it? How much traffic? Those sort of questions..I've tried finding info on the web but didn't come across with much success...
    Do you think this is a good idea --- a good place to put the Sunless Citadel...??
    i'm a new DM..well, actually i DM'ed some in high school, but that was like 13 years ago...
    I am running a 3.5 edition game....
    Also, any suggestions where i can place the town of Blasingdell (Forge of Fury)?

Thanks...have a good day
    CF Admin

Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:19 am  

hmmm, I'm sorry HJ. That's a ways away from my expertise of the Rhizia. Sad

Hopefully some one knowledgable will pick up on this soon.

Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:07 am  

Well - I too am far from home on this one - but, sure, when did that ever stop misguided speculation.

Width? Well - at least wide enough for two wains to pass each other (I've just spent 16 hours on a bus on some half washed out roads in the Himalayas discovering how vital a feature that is in a major throughfare). The width and state of repair would probably vary from realm to realm to realm and perhaps even fief to fief, unless the road was considered to be of sufficient importance to be maintained with funds from the central exchequer - which in Veluna (where the GWR would serve as a trade road in peacetime and a military road in war) is very likely.

Farther west - it might be the Flanaess equivalent of the Great Trunk Road in India (which ran from the Punjab in the north-west through Delhi and Agra (capitals of the Mughal empire) to the holy city of Varanasi and then later extended by the East India Company to its Presidency Town of Calcutta in the north-east). The GTR was a major route for trade across the Gangeatic Plain and the Mughal emperors built a string of caravanserai along it to facilitate the flow of commerce and pilgrims.

My thought was that the Moqollad Consortium would have built similar caravanserai along the Great Western Road from Zeif (or perhaps farther west as the Bakluni surely have trade contacts with the states there - like the Silk Road of Asia) to Ket (and other major caravan routes in the Baklunish west).

Traffic? Might be a mix of long-haul caravans (few, but large - Moqolladi's heading east; large/rich Flanaess trading costers/guilds heading the other direction) and short inter-city traders (far more frequent, and ranging from 1 to perhaps a half dozen local traders).

IMO... :)

P.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: