ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Shopping in Greyhawk
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Shopping in Greyhawk
    Novice

Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:01 pm  
    Shopping in Greyhawk

Hi All -

My gamers are complaining that there are simply not enough ways to spend their treasure money. Does anyone know of a shopping list or price list that might be somewhat extended to include all sorts of things? Has anyone here made one? I realize I don't need to run Neiman Marcus for these folks, but I think it can be fun to have something to save up for. The occasional strange shopping venue can lead to an adventure as well.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:55 pm  

For some reason, this post brought to mind Vesper's Pawnshop located in the Thieves' Quarter of Greyhawk. I suppose because you mentioned that your PC's are finding it difficult to spend that hard earned coin. In The Adventure Begins it says there are all sorts of fancy things to buy here from art to minor magical items. It also states that the prices are quite high. They could hear about the place if they are in the City of Greyhawk area. Make up an inventory of a few spiffy things and inflate the prices.

That could also lead to something more interesting itself. The place is opperated by the Assassin's Guild of Greyhawk. That could attract a bit of unwanted attention to the PC's when they brazenly slap down a load of money to buy some nifty little magical item, or object of art. You know how adventurers that come from 'new money' sometimes like to bandy that fact about, though it may not be healthy to do so.

Just a thought. :)
    Forum Moderator

Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:08 am  

GHC also has the Guild of Wizards. There is a Mage of Exchange who specializes in trading, buying and selling magic items. At first the idea was cool but soon IMC players spent too much time there, like kids in a toy store, now with 3E's ease in magic item creation rules it became worse, so I pretty much did away with the Exchange. Ideally I'd rather players make magic items or earn them, although making them in 1E/2E was more costly than 3E. Ugh.

Anyhoo, there are some old Dragon magazine articles with extensive equipment lists. There is the Arms and Equipment Guide for 3E. There is also a good d20 book called the Ultimate Equipment Guide. I am also still fond of the 2E Forgotten Realms Aurora's Catalogue (name?). It was a nifty little paperback much like the A&EG. Another good way to sap alot of gold is to plunk the Stronghold Builders Guide in their lap. As soon as they learn they can make a castle with adamantite walls, they will be paupers! muahaha.
    CF Admin

Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:21 am  

Better yet, just have them robbed. Wink

It'll be a good experience for them.

Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:34 am  
    Thanks!

Thanks everyone for the great ideas. This is helpful. I especially like the book suggestions because sometimes I run out of ideas. With two kids and a full time job, I try to save my creativity and energy for the adventure itself.

Just so you know, the players are occasionally robbed and lose items. However, as a rule, I don't like to do this unless they expose themselves stupidly to a bad circumstance (just like in life) or a vindictive enemy. Also, I don't like them to buy or get anything too unbalancing to the campaign. Most of their magic items are as treasure and cannot be purchased. Some minor items may be bought.

But do you remember how you felt saving for your first new car, or some other major purchase? Or even something really cool in a store window? It was always in the back of your mind, motivating you probably. I have one player in particular (an engineer by trade) who likes gadgets and money, and his characters tend to think like that young person saving for the car. Without any place to "window shop", it's less fun.

I am going to check out those books for more ideas - we can use a springboard for some creative thought.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Jul 25, 2004 11:08 am  

Hi Cyan.

If your PC's Have that much money, They may have merchants looking for them to buy things they have that are too expensive for the average person. Platinum serving trays, Vaulable, one of a kind paintings by somewhat famous people of the area or on Oreth. And what's good about this is you can have them show up with goods when your ready with high dollar stuff that you've come up with. Also Cyan, These merchants will not likely lower their sale price on anything they have to sell to them. Because if they are making appointments to sell rare or extremely expensive items in the comfort of The PC's own home, they have the money to afford what they have.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: