Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Map of Yarth
    GreySage

Mon May 23, 2011 12:09 pm  
    Map of Yarth

I found this while browsing the webs.
    Adept Greytalker

Mon May 23, 2011 1:04 pm  

Well done, sir! I had forgotten about all of that series of books. My school library (the first school of two I would attend during fourth grade) had books one and three.

Curiously, I remember the first book, The Ice Dragon, to have taken place in Nyrond.

Is Yarth just a facsimile of Oerth, different only in how magic-intensive it is?
    GreySage

Mon May 23, 2011 1:08 pm  

From what I understand, the early Sagard the Barbarian books clearly took place on Oerth, but the later ones ventured outside the Flanaess into the exotic lands whose map I linked to above. Gygax later wrote in Polyhedron that the books actually took place on a less magical world parallel to Oerth, Yarth, though that doesn't seem to be the original intent.
    Adept Greytalker

Mon May 23, 2011 1:16 pm  

In retrospect, the third book (the title of which escapes me) was not as good as the first, and in no-way specifically set in Oerth. The book, by and large, was sailing around in circles looking for some slag girlfriend who was shanghaied by slavers (but not THE Slavers).

There was another Gamebook I remember playing (I am nearly sure it was TSR-related) where you played a polymorphed red dragon (who was chaotic good) named Flametongue or Firebrand. Ring any bells?
    GreySage

Mon May 23, 2011 1:50 pm  

chaoticprime wrote:
    There was another Gamebook I remember playing (I am nearly sure it was TSR-related) where you played a polymorphed red dragon (who was chaotic good) named Flametongue or Firebrand. Ring any bells?

Yes! I played that one! You're talking about Revenge of the Red Dragon.

It was actually intended for two players, one of which played the dragon Flametongue (who was actually evil, I think) and one of which played the knight Raven Quickblade, who opposed him. My sister played the dragon, and beat my Raven Quickblade soundly.
    Adept Greytalker

Mon May 23, 2011 5:17 pm  

The reason I think this is hilarious, is that I never knew there were two books in the set. I believe I remember Flametongue as good, is because he was the character you played as. I believe I was 10 or 11, and I had borrowed the book from a friend.

James M. Ward wrote it, eh? Didn't he write the Pool of Radiance novel? That novel was very poorly written. There is no reason to assume he never improved, I guess.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed May 25, 2011 8:23 pm  

That is so weird because this is the second mention of Sagard the Barbarian I've seen this week..
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: