JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Rangers of The Pale
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Rangers of The Pale
    Master Greytalker

Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:43 am  
    Rangers of The Pale

For the sake of this thread, let's assume that rangers serve specific deities. (Depending on one's rule set, that's not necessarily a requirement, but humor me. Wink) What's the state of rangers in The Pale? The Palish ostensibly control the Nutherwood, so it's not inconceivable that they'd want some rangers in their ranks, but whom would they serve? Pholtus doesn't seem to be a good fit for a ranger, but how could the Church Militant approve of an Ehlonnan ranger?

Paging Issak...
    GreySage

Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:56 am  

Perhaps Pholtus' rangers seek to impose order upon the chaos of nature. They believe that nature is perfect, but that evil and chaos disrupt the 'natural order' so these rangers seek to limit the effects those destructive forces have upon the natural world. Pholtan rangers would thus be Lawful Good exclusively.

SirXaris
    GreySage

Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:40 pm  

I can't imagine the Palish state authorizing any deities other than Pholtus. There are other gods worshiped there, but not with the blessing of the state. If rangers have to have other gods as patrons, I imagine they're unapproved of.

The Pale could substitute scouts (thief variant) or simply fighters with the appropriate nonweapon proficiencies.

Another possibility might be inventing a patron saint of rangers subordinate to Pholtus.
    Master Greytalker

Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:46 pm  

A couple of years ago, my PCs met a Ranger Knight from the Nutherwood. (Admittedly, I didn't do my homework.) They're about to meet her again at a tournament, so I need to flesh her out in more detail. Maybe she could be a Nyrondese knight, since the Palish have historically neglected the Nutherwood anyway.
    GreySage

Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:13 pm  

Why would the Ranger need to be affiliated with the Palish government anyway? Rangers are many times secretive in nature, as are Druids. It's perfectly conceivable that a Ranger following any goodly god would be roaming the forest, assisting those in need, and combating evil all while avoiding contact with the judgemental forces of the ruling body.

SirXaris
    Master Greytalker

Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:34 am  

Well, presumably, to be a "Ranger Knight" some higher authority must bestow the title. In a forest like the Gnarley, the rangers have their own hierarchy to do so, but in most other places, knighthood is granted by the monarch.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:19 am  

Well, if you're not following the theme that 3e rangers get their divine spells from nature, I don't see this as a problem. Pholtus isn't really antithetical to nature, so just have him grant the divine spells. If Pholtus needs rangers in his service, and those spells wouldn't somehow violate Pholtan dogma, then he'd have no problem granting those spells to the Ranger Knight.
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:32 am  

Perhaps this thread prooves that the premise that that rangers serve specific deities is false?
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:18 pm  

DMPrata wrote:
    A couple of years ago, my PCs met a Ranger Knight from the Nutherwood. (Admittedly, I didn't do my homework.) They're about to meet her again at a tournament, so I need to flesh her out in more detail. Maybe she could be a Nyrondese knight, since the Palish have historically neglected the Nutherwood anyway.

-I hope it's not too late to put in my two zees.

SirXaris wrote:
    Perhaps Pholtus' rangers seek to impose order upon the chaos of nature. They believe that nature is perfect, but that evil and chaos disrupt the 'natural order' so these rangers seek to limit the effects those destructive forces have upon the natural world. Pholtan rangers would thus be Lawful Good exclusively...

-I have no problem with this, although I'm not sure it would fit in with DMP's Ranger Knight character (personality, alignment, etc).

rasgon wrote:
    I can't imagine the Palish state authorizing any deities other than Pholtus...

-Renegade?

DMPrata wrote:
    Well, presumably, to be a "Ranger Knight" some higher authority must bestow the title. In a forest like the Gnarley, the rangers have their own hierarchy to do so, but in most other places, knighthood is granted by the monarch.

-Pre-existing order i.e., before the Palish moved in?

Again, she might be able to ignore the Pale, or at least have some sort of non-hostile understanding.

Or maybe the relationship is hostile?

Thanael wrote:
    Perhaps this thread prooves that the premise that that rangers serve specific deities is false?

-DMPrata said "humor me." Laughing
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:15 pm  

A ranger could serve Pholtus. Why not? He is a god or order, the sun, and the moon. These are nature influencing forces. People might think of nature as chaos, or balance, but there is an order to it as well. There is the animal hierarchy, the circle of life, etc. There is much order within nature, let alone cause and effect which has an order all of its own.

Then there is the fact that the races like to impose their own order on things, one of them being nature. If only the worshipers of Pholtus were all about imposing their own order on things. Then a Pholtan ranger might fit.

See what I did there? Laughing
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: