JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Dungeon #89's "Wedding Bells"
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Dungeon #89's "Wedding Bells"
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:29 pm  
    Dungeon #89's "Wedding Bells"

Anyone familiar with this early 3E adventure from Jonathan Tweet?

Though no GH location is listed, it expressly takes place during Goodmonth, and the moons celene & Luna are mentioned (p. 81).

It takes place in Dockalong, a forest settlement at the confluence of two rivers (p. 84) on the fringes of an unidentified elven realm (p. 81). There is also mention of an "ancient civilization" that "had extensive settlements in the area"

I'm thinking Tweet probably intended for this adventure to take place in the shadow of Celene, in the Suss Forest, near the Handmaiden and Jewel rivers, any references to its actual location got cut in the final draft.

Thoughts?
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:17 pm  

Your conclusion sounds correct. I remember reading the synopsis, but never got far enough to realize it was in GH. Good find!
    GreySage

Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:22 am  

That adventure is tied closely to the Dungeon of the Fire Opal (Dungeon #84), which it mentions on page 81. The adventure hooks in Dungeon #84, page 109, mention Jikk Hardwalk, a halfling cleric of Fharlanghn also described as dwelling in Dockalong in Dungeon #89. I suppose that makes the "Dungeon of the Fire Opal" a Greyhawk adventure by extension, although most groups would probably ignore the optional hook in Dungeon #84 that suggests the queen (who would be Yolande in Rob's scheme) has been usurped by a blackguard. The Dungeon #84 adventure also suggests a tie-in with Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil (page 123).
    Master Greytalker

Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:39 pm  
    Definitely in Celene

This truly is a great find. I can say that in my (complete) collection of Dragon and Dungeon magazines, it still never ceases to amaze me that there are little tiny gems like this sprinkled throughout.

And, I might add, that the both of you - Rob and Rasgon - never cease to amaze me in your knowledge! I was struggling to find a connection to the geography, and Rob clearly already had it down. I thought that it sounded dead on ... and then Rasgon comes along and impresses me even further.

Considering Tweet's contrubution to the early 3rd Edition, it's very likely that he was still thinking of GH as "core" material when he wrote this. So, I would undoubtedly agree that this is perfect placement as described by Rob. Also, that I would agree with Rasgon that the "optional" content be left out.
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:19 pm  

The most problematic thing about my placement of Dockalong, I think, is that the I've always pictured the Suss to be more savage than the forested environs of Dockalong.

An alternate location may be found near the headwaters of the Jewel, in the Gnarley. There's a tributary flowing into the Jewel southeast of Namburil, as pictured on the From the Ashes campaign map. The biggest problem is the two rivers are likely way too narrow at that point, considering there's a lake w/ an island at the confluence on the Dockalong environs map. For that reason, I still think I'd go with my initial location.

On a side note, Dungeon #89 also features the only known city map of Womtham!
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:21 pm  
    Dockalong and Dungeon 89

I see Dungeon 89 is November/December 2001. I don't see the references to Dockalong or Jikk or a cleric. I'm curious though about the specifics you're referring to.
    GreySage

Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:30 pm  
    Re: Dockalong and Dungeon 89

Raymond wrote:
    I see Dungeon 89 is November/December 2001. I don't see the references to Dockalong or Jikk or a cleric. I'm curious though about the specifics you're referring to.

"Wedding Bells" begins on page 79. Dockalong is the setting of the adventure. Page 81 describes it as being in the "buffer zone around the elven woods. Here, non-elves are allowed to live in nearly autonomous settlements, under elven rule."

Jikk is a halfling cleric described on pages 86 and 87.
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:49 pm  
    Thanks!

Ah, I see my OCR wasn't working that far through the .pdf file which is why I wasn't finding it. Thanks!
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu May 03, 2018 11:07 am  

Robbastard wrote:
    ...I'm thinking Tweet probably intended for this adventure to take place in the shadow of Celene, in the Suss Forest, near the Handmaiden and Jewel rivers, any references to its actual location got cut in the final draft.
    Thoughts?

-Exactly where I put it. I have the Keep on the Borderlands and the Caves of Chaos in the area already (i.e., as of 578). I simply turned B2 on it's side. 😉

Robbastard wrote:
    The most problematic thing about my placement of Dockalong, I think, is that the I've always pictured the Suss to be more savage than the forested environs of Dockalong...

-I assume that Dockalong will develop after Mak's horde is defeated in 584 (assuming the players don't screw it up). The Caves of Chaos becomes a settlement after the heroes (hopefully) clear it.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: