JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - CoG timeline
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    CoG timeline
    Master Greytalker

Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:19 pm  
    CoG timeline

I recently got the City of Greyhawk Boxed set and have been slowly reading through it. While I haven-t tracked down the specific dates yet, it seems strangely out of sync with time. It refers to the Horned Society as having captured the Shield Lands in the Greyhawk Wars, but also refers to cultists of Nerull being under orders of the Hierarchs, who I thought were slain by the forces of Iuz.

It is set post Pact of Greyhawk signing, I think, but refers to the chance that Tenser could dine in a particular restaurant, when I think he would be dead at the time.

Is this just sloppy editing, or is there a particular point in time when all its statements could be true?
    My campaigns are multilayered tapestries upon which I texture themes and subject matter which, quite frankly, would simply be too strong for your hobbyist gamer.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mp7Ikko8SI
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:42 pm  

Quote:
    It refers to the Horned Society as having captured the Shield Lands in the Greyhawk Wars,
    it would be incredibly hard for the CoG boxed set to say that considering it came out well before the Greyhawk Wars.
    Master Greytalker

Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:09 pm  

cwslyclgh wrote:
    Quote:
    It refers to the Horned Society as having captured the Shield Lands in the Greyhawk Wars,
    it would be incredibly hard for the CoG boxed set to say that considering it came out well before the Greyhawk Wars.

CoG FFF p.73
    "Valderesse is the most senior of the six Knights of the Holy Shielding in Greyhawk. Fugitives from the conquered Shield Lands, most have left for Furyondy, but Valderesse and her small group...have stayed in Greyhawk. Her position is awkward, for she wishes to recruit people who will help in attacks or even a full-scale invasion of the Shield Lands, starting at Admundfort."

CoG FFF p.43
    "At present, Turin [Deathstalker] is consumed with the invasion of his homeland (the Shield Lands) by the forces of the Bandit Kingdom and the Horned Society...It may not be long before Turin...begins to organize a mercenary force to retake the Shield Lands."

Cog FFF p.44
    "Caprica...has been in Greyhawk but three years, having been one of the last to fleee the Shield Lands when the last remnants of that area fell to the bandits and humanoids."

I had not realized that CoG was released prior to Greyhawk Wars. Hmm. Perhaps Sargent knew that the Sheild Lands was going to fall in GW, so he wrote it into CoG. The only problem was that he thought it would fall to the Horned Society and Bandit Kingdoms and hadn't yet decided that the HS would be under the control of Iuz. My best guess.
    My campaigns are multilayered tapestries upon which I texture themes and subject matter which, quite frankly, would simply be too strong for your hobbyist gamer.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Mp7Ikko8SI
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:27 pm  

Page 6 of the CoG FFF book cites the Horned Society and Bandit Kingdoms invading the Shield Lands in 579-581CY. The Greyhawk Wars started rolling in what, 582 I believe?

Guess that would place CoG boxed set in early 582 prior to or during the beginning phases to what would lead to the wars.

Iuz captured Molag and replaced the Hierarchs in Coldeven of 583.
    CF Admin

Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:10 am  

There we go... what's this about a dwarven historian?

Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:28 pm  

DangerDwarf wrote:
    Page 6 of the CoG FFF book cites the Horned Society and Bandit Kingdoms invading the Shield Lands in 579-581CY. .

Ah, thank you. Yes it does.

DangerDwarf wrote:

The Greyhawk Wars started rolling in what, 582 I believe?

Yes, Iuz impersonated Vatun in 582, and took Stonefist and Tenh. He returned to his lands in 583.

DangerDwarf wrote:

Guess that would place CoG boxed set in early 582 prior to or during the beginning phases to what would lead to the wars.

Iuz captured Molag and replaced the Hierarchs in Coldeven of 583.

Yes, GW puts Iuz's capture of Molag as Coldeven 583. The problem is that GW then goes on to say the Iuzian controlled Horned Society then invaded and captured the Shield Lands in Flocktime of 583.

(Also, Iuz the Evil says that the Blood Moon Festival massacre took place in 582 CY - page 4)

Ok, I think I am starting to understand this.

CoG (released 1989, authored by Sargent) says that the Shield Lands fell to the combined forces of the Horned Society and Bandit Kingdoms in 579-581 CY.

The GW (released 1991, authored by Cook) says that the Shield Lands fell to an Iuzian controlled Horned Society in 583 CY.

So the problem seems to be that Cook in writing Greyhawk Wars ignored the historical information of CoG and altered the dates and manner of the fall of the Shield Lands.

Then From the Ashes (released 1992, authored by Sargent) confirms the Cook-GW version of the fall of the Shield Lands, not the previous Sargent-CoG version.

Que confuso!
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:16 pm  

The LGG goes on to combine the two histories. It states that when the Horned Society and Bandit Kingdoms invaded that by 581 all but Critwall had fallen.

In early 583 the humanoid forces of the Hierarchs began withdrawing from the occupied Shield Lands and readying defenses in their own realm as rumors of Iuz gathering an army circulated. During this withdrawal Earl Holmer was able to reconquer the Shield Lands from the marginal forces left behind.....only to turn around and get smashed by Iuz's forces who had flanked through the Bandit Kingdoms.

*shrugs*

Not a bad way to combine conflicting reports.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: