Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Temple of Elemental Evil - What's my motivation?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Temple of Elemental Evil - What's my motivation?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:51 pm  
    Temple of Elemental Evil - What's my motivation?

I'm going to try and avoid spoilers here by speaking as generally as possible. I'm doing my best to sketch out the motivations of the various powers in ToEE so that the encounters go beyond 'he hits you, you hit him' whack-a-mole. The two biggest questions I could use some feedback on are these:

1. Why don't the inhabitants of the Temple dungeons just pour out and squash Hommlet - especially as events progress?
    2. Why don't the inhabitants of Vebobonc, or Furyondy and Veluna sweep in and squash the temple, especially as events progress?

I understand that the tenants of the temple are chaotic and there's general infighting, but that's only a good story for why they haven't done anything YET. Once our fearless party whacks the bee hive, so to speak, why don't they rush out and smush 'em?

There's no right answer here - I'm just curious for your ideas. This question could apply to any dungeon full of mildly intelligent creatures. Thanks in advance!

Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:57 am  

I am currently playing in a TOEE campaign, currently and I think our DM is struggling with the various groups' motivations as well!

I can sympathize but only experiencing this as a Player at the moment. Interested to read the posts to come, however.
    GreySage

Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:40 am  

Maybe they do, on both counts.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:17 am  

rasgon wrote:

Ahhh...great point! Are there any good rule sets for mass combat like that? Specifically, I think it would be cool for the players to be able to have some impact on strategy by acting as an advanced scout/response team unit - not necessarily rolling out all the battles between various units.

Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:24 am  

nerdcav wrote:
    rasgon wrote:

Ahhh...great point! Is there any good rule sets for mass combat like that?

IF you can still find it the Battle System Box Set was a pretty good start.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battlesystem
    I never utilized the 2e version but did use the original mixed with Chainmail (see white box references) because that is where I originated my gaming experience that led me to D&D
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:21 pm  
    Re: Temple of Elemental Evil - What's my motivation?

nerdcav wrote:
    ...The two biggest questions I could use some feedback on are these:

1. Why don't the inhabitants of the Temple dungeons just pour out and squash Hommlet - especially as events progress?

-It isn't just about Hommlet. The last time the TEE tried that, the result was the battle of Emridy Meadows. Now they're more cautious.

nerdcav wrote:
    ...2. Why don't the inhabitants of Vebobonc, or Furyondy and Veluna sweep in and squash the temple, especially as events progress?

-They figure the bad guys are largely finished. If the PCs can show what is going on in the old TEE at Nulb, maybe the good guys will go in and clean house. At least in Hommlet, the locals are planning to clean out the moathouse, now that they have a clue.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: