Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Have you gamed in Western Oerth ?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Beyond the Flanaess
    Have you gamed in Western Oerth ?

Have you run a campaign set in Western Oerth?
    Yes
    18%
     18%  [ 7 ]
    No, but I am interested in expanding a campaign there
    71%
     71%  [ 27 ]
    No, I am happy with the Flanaess and don't need to go west
    10%
     10%  [ 4 ]
    Total Votes : 38

Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:24 pm  
    Western Oerik Yes

I'm not all that interested in actually gaming in western Oerik, but I'd be very excited to read about the region, its history, geography, politics, and its relationship to the Flanaess. Do the regions on its edge carry on any trade with places in western Flanaess? Have expeditions set forth from there to explore the East? Did the Suel come from the west originally, and if so are there still Suel kingdoms/empires in the ancient homeland? And so on.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:13 pm  

I might use the Chainmail stuff.

The People's State of Mordengard looks like it has great potential as a villainous power that includes misguided and misled good-aligned characters in its service. Some of the current rulers might well be good-aligned (they will no doubt perish in the inevitable purges and show trials).
    The corrupt guild-masters use ideology and propaganda to manipulate and control the workers.

Do the Dwarf gods (or most of their clerics) approve of the People's State?

IIRC the PRoM does have clerics ( minis were made).
    The elemental link makes me think of Ogremoch. Comrade Ogremoch exhorts us all to smash the exploiting classes! Evil Grin
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:20 pm  

I'm laughing out loud at the metal image of Comrade Ogremoch. Laughing
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:04 pm  

smillan_31 wrote:
    I'm laughing out loud at the metal image of Comrade Ogremoch. Laughing

If I ever run anything that goes that far west, I will totes use him as the patron of proletarian dwarf revolution.
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:12 am  

I'm running a playtest of some "Oriental Adventures" type rules for Adventures Dark and Deep set in the Celestial Imperium of Suhfang. It's very different in feel than the Flanaess, and few familiar deities are present (and even the "common" deities have a cultural paint job), but I've got a kingdom called Prestoria in the vicinity that was founded by Palish refugees, so there's some familiar elements the players can hang their hats on.

Joe / GG
    Master Greytalker

Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:02 am  

Argon wrote:
    ...Now to add one other tidbit. The elves of Ravilla have a race known as felldrakes cool name right? Well the name aside they were basically treated as half dragons that mated with elves. I prefer to have them as a race of their own. They are a servant type race in my version that act as go betweens between dragons and mortals. The problem is after the demon wars transpired less dragons exist yet more felldrakes are being born....

So, I'm a little confused. I, too, liked the feldrakes. They were a neat way to include a lower-CR creature that was still an actual dragon, and have them be more accessible to the setting without being large in size, and dangerous to the point of isolating them in lore. The felldrakes were usually "small" size (though I think one may've been medium), and were wingless.

But, they weren't exactly half-dragons. Half-dragons certainly did exist in Ravilla, but, they weren't the Felldrakes. In fact, there's even a miniature called "Half-Dragon Mage" in the Ravilla faction. The Empire of Ravilla is closely ties to dragons - probably more than any other faction. Bahamut was actually a patron of the nation which is the fractured remnants of the "Dragon Empire", and " he gathered with a powerful group of elven arch- mages, and together they created the creatures known as felldrakes" But, that's not quite the same as, like, mating with them. Although, one exemplar of a half-dragon mage is Orianna, a warlord for the Ravillan faction.

Here's examples of the small felldrakes, fighting alongside the Grey Elves of Ravilla, and an illustration by Sam Wood of Orianna the Ravillan warlord (from the Ghostwind Campaign).

Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:32 pm  

SirXaris wrote:

...Are you refering to Fire Newts? They are supposed to be plentiful in the Hellfurnaces and the eastern edge of the Sea of Dust.

SirXaris

-Exactly.

I wonder why I never resoponded before now... ?

Oh well. Laughing
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:14 pm  

I voted no, but interested. When I get back to running a Greyhawk campaign, I'll be running it with the GH Folio & Gary's Dragon articles describing the Gods (from before they were split into separate human pantheons and expanded). I'll likely expand into Western Oerik so I can do more to make the setting my own. I am just not sure yet how I'll achieve it.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: