Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Have you gamed in Western Oerth ?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Beyond the Flanaess
    Have you gamed in Western Oerth ?

Have you run a campaign set in Western Oerth?
    Yes
    18%
     18%  [ 7 ]
    No, but I am interested in expanding a campaign there
    71%
     71%  [ 27 ]
    No, I am happy with the Flanaess and don't need to go west
    10%
     10%  [ 4 ]
    Total Votes : 38

Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:56 pm  
    Have you gamed in Western Oerth ?

An excerpt from the chainmail setting which was set in western oerik, is posted below. What I would like to know is have you ever held a campaign in this part of Oerth? or is it something that interests you? or are you one of those that says I ain't finished with the Flanaess forget the west?

Five years of fighting have scarred the lands of the Sundered Empire, and still the fires of war still burn brightly. Armies crisscross Western Oerth, grinding life underfoot. The elven Empire of Ravilla stands in the midst of it all, beset by gnolls and demons, an undead legion, and a savage humanoid horde. The crusading humans and revolutionary dwarves are also in the fray, both bearing great strength of arms. This is not simply a war of good versus evil, but a war for godhood itself.
    The roots of the Godwar run deep. Listen now and understand.
    YOu can read more in this thread as well. http://www.canonfire.com/cf//modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5136

Later

Argon
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:12 pm  

I notice someone voted as no, I am happy with the Flanaess. Which is fine, I was just hoping to get some discussion going on the subject.

Later

Argon
    GreySage

Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:53 pm  

I also voted, 'No, I'm happy...', but I like reading about Western Oerik very much. There is just so much I haven't gotten to do in the Flanaess, I don't feel the need to expand beyond it. Reading about the West, imagining new adventures in that arena, and participating in discussions about it, however, are very much of interest to me. Smile

SirXaris
    CF Admin

Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:21 am  

Many years ago I started a high level adventure set in Ekbir, but that was the furthest west I've made it, and the adventure ended without completion.

Hence, I was super-intrigued by Fred Weining's Zeif: Rock of the West in LGJ 5, as it evoked more about the Utter West than had previously been published, and I would love to see a compilation of other folks' work on this subject, from TalMeta's Sunelan Coast and on. I know that a lot of folks have developed material about which I'm ignorant. Sad

Here's something that might help me get started, http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&new_topic=56, but it would be neat to read an annotated chronology of such articles, discussions, etc.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:28 pm  
    Re: Have you gamed in Western Oerth ?

Argon wrote:
    ...What I would like to know is have you ever held a campaign in this part of Oerth? or is it something that interests you? or are you one of those that says I ain't finished with the Flanaess forget the west?

-I chose "no, but intersted"...

I'm not so much interested in having a campaign in the west as allowing characters who are originally from the west to become PC's in the east. This opens up new possibilities for PC origins (bringing in people from Hepmonaland or Fireland allows the same). The way I run my campaign, the PC would probably have to do some initial "living" in their place of origin before coming to the Flanaess, but the focus would be on getting them east.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:50 pm  

One of the things that sparked my interest was the over abundance of things listed for the Flanaess , the chainmail setting, and the black moon chronicles comics. Besides I think if a setting is to truly grow then it must eventually expand on its other continents. Not that it needs a ton of development. Just enough to make it a place where DM's could explore those portions further.

In the chainmail setting their is a nation of Dwarves which over threw their king and now are governed by an elected council. Not to mention these dwarves excel in technology and are on good terms with elemental beings. One new race as described in the chainmail setting was the stonechild. Stone children were believed to be a mixture of earth elemental and a mortal union. I prefer to use the Galeb Duhr in place of the stonechildren and make them willing allies of the dwarven race.

By the way gnomes serve the human nation of Thalos and make for excellent infiltrators and craftsman making war machinces for the nation of Thalos to fight their mutual enemies.

Later

Argon

Last edited by Argon on Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:04 am  

Argon wrote:
    ...One new race as described in the chainmail setting was the stonechild. Stone children were believed to be a mixture of earth elemental and a mortal union. I prefer to use the Galeb Duhr in place of the stonechildren and make them willing allies of the dwarven race...

-Weren't "stone children" in the Field Folio? Or was that "Lava Children"?
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:17 pm  

James,

To which fiend folio do you refer too. 1e, 2e, or 3e. I'm not certain if one existed for 4e or not.

Now to add one other tidbit. The elves of Ravilla have a race known as felldrakes cool name right? Well the name aside they were basically treated as half dragons that mated with elves. I prefer to have them as a race of their own. They are a servant type race in my version that act as go betweens between dragons and mortals. The problem is after the demon wars transpired less dragons exist yet more felldrakes are being born.

Please add any comments you have on these tidbits of information.

Later

Argon

Last edited by Argon on Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:59 am  

Argon wrote:
    James,

To which fiend folio do you refer too. 1e, 2e, or 3e...

-Shows how much I know. I only remember the one for AD&D 1, with the mostly blue cover, with the Githyanki on the front. They all came from the UK, IIRC.

EDIT: That Fiend Folio had a lot of other stuff that was Sea of Dust useful, including a giant boring worm-crittter (it's listed in the WOG Glossography encounter tables for the Sea of Dust), plus humanoid-like reptile men (whose name also eludes me- fire something or other). I think they had a tiny breath attack...
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:48 am  

Since I've never run a game in Greyhawk, my answer has to be no.
    GreySage

Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:16 pm  

jamesdglick wrote:
    ...plus humanoid-like reptile men (whose name also eludes me- fire something or other). I think they had a tiny breath attack...

Are you refering to Fire Newts? They are supposed to be plentiful in the Hellfurnaces and the eastern edge of the Sea of Dust.

SirXaris
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:34 pm  

Nellisir,

You never ran a game in the Greyhawk setting? Yet you still devoted much of your time to having the OJ get published. I gather you more then likely have played in the Greyhawk campaign setting at least?

Anyone have any comments on the races of the west or ideas on what little information I have provided here?

Later

Argon
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:51 pm  

Argon wrote:
    Nellisir,

You never ran a game in the Greyhawk setting? Yet you still devoted much of your time to having the OJ get published. I gather you more then likely have played in the Greyhawk campaign setting at least?

Nope. I almost always DM, and I always use my house setting.
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:55 pm  

I should qualify my "no". I don't mind the West being "developed" (although I reserve the right to dislike the result). At the time I wrote Lo Nakar, that was about as far west as anyone had gone. But I don't intend to set or extend a campaign there, since I don't run GH games. Has nothing to do with the West per se.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:41 pm  

Nellisir,

Interesting any particular reason why you don't run a GH campaign?
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:38 am  

Argon wrote:
    Nellisir,

Interesting any particular reason why you don't run a GH campaign?

Nope. Just prefer my own setting.

I came to Greyhawk via the AOL boards. It was way back in the dark ages of internet, and I had pay-by-the-minute dialup access. I didn't have time to read all the boards, so I skimmed through them and picked the one with the best/most interesting conversation. And here I am remain.

This was during or just after FtA; I had the '83 boxed set and most of the FtA materials, and I liked GH, so it wasn't like I had to rewire my brain or anything.

Edit: and to be truthful, I know my Shadowend setting far, far better than I will ever know Greyhawk, and it's easier for me to improvise and ad lib.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:32 pm  

Nellisir,

As good a reason as any. I started with a homebrew and later just took my homebrew and mixed it into the GH setting. Shadowend sounds interesting. If you ever get the chance maybe you can elaborate some more on the campaign.

Later

Argon
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:25 am  

yes, I sent my PC first to my own version of Ryujin and then to Erypt. Then they were sent back to the Flanaess :)
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:26 pm  

Omega9999,

I would be interested on hearing more on these campaigns and what you encountered out west.

Later

Argon
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:34 am  

I was DMing, so i made everything up :)

The PCs were sent to Ryujin to kill an acquatic abomination created by the BBEG that was threatening to destroy the entire island chain with giant tsunami. But the local population believed that the abomination was the Sea Dragon King, who was worshiped as a God, sent to punish the population for their sins. So they had to persuade the Emperor and the people that the abomination wasn't the God they worshiped and when they finally did it they had to use the imperial army to kill the abomination
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:22 pm  

Omega9999,

Thanks for that little piece of your gaming history. One of the best things about being a DM is making things up and Western Oerik can be a great backdrop.

Later

Argon
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:11 am  

Just wanted to bump this thread.

It seems like expansion on Western Oerik wins. I think most people are curious as to which direction it would or should take. Maybe that should be the next post fest. Travel West young man or woman.

Later

Argon
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:42 am  

Argon wrote:
    Just wanted to bump this thread.

It seems like expansion on Western Oerik wins. I think most people are curious as to which direction it would or should take. Maybe that should be the next post fest. Travel West young man or woman.

Later

Argon

You might be interested in some of these "[Chainmail]" taged threads in the Greyhawk forum at The Piazza:

(One day, if enough Chainmail fans write in those threads, or new threads, and someone posts a formal request, there might be a bespoke Chainmail forum at The Piazza.)
    David 'Big Mac' Shepheard<br />My Greyhawk links: http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopic.php?f=11&amp;t=9355<br />(If I am not here, you can find me at the Greyhawk or Chainmail forums at The Piazza.)<br />
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:30 am  

I voted no but would like to expand. The only trouble is, I have changed the western edge of the greyhawk maps significantly and turned it into my own campaign land.

So, the expanding in that area is of my own ideas mixed with other information, campaigns or modules I have taken from various sources.

It isn't very Canon but I have enjoyed it greatly.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:24 pm  
    Western Oerik Yes

I'm not really looking to actually game in western Oerik, but I'd be very interested to read about the region, its history, geography, politics, and its relationship to the Flanaess. Do the regions on its edge carry on any trade with places in western Flanaess? Have expeditions set forth from there to explore the East? Did the Suel come from the west originally, and if so are there still Suel kingdoms/empires in the ancient homeland? And so on.

Incidentally, there apparently was a map drawn of the entire continent for Dragon Annual, with some brief descriptions of the (sometimes silly) regions: http://www.sodabob.com/roleplay/dnd/Maps/

Last edited by peyre on Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:24 pm  
    Western Oerik Yes

I'm not all that interested in actually gaming in western Oerik, but I'd be very excited to read about the region, its history, geography, politics, and its relationship to the Flanaess. Do the regions on its edge carry on any trade with places in western Flanaess? Have expeditions set forth from there to explore the East? Did the Suel come from the west originally, and if so are there still Suel kingdoms/empires in the ancient homeland? And so on.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:13 pm  

I might use the Chainmail stuff.

The People's State of Mordengard looks like it has great potential as a villainous power that includes misguided and misled good-aligned characters in its service. Some of the current rulers might well be good-aligned (they will no doubt perish in the inevitable purges and show trials).
    The corrupt guild-masters use ideology and propaganda to manipulate and control the workers.

Do the Dwarf gods (or most of their clerics) approve of the People's State?

IIRC the PRoM does have clerics ( minis were made).
    The elemental link makes me think of Ogremoch. Comrade Ogremoch exhorts us all to smash the exploiting classes! Evil Grin
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:20 pm  

I'm laughing out loud at the metal image of Comrade Ogremoch. Laughing
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:04 pm  

smillan_31 wrote:
    I'm laughing out loud at the metal image of Comrade Ogremoch. Laughing

If I ever run anything that goes that far west, I will totes use him as the patron of proletarian dwarf revolution.
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:12 am  

I'm running a playtest of some "Oriental Adventures" type rules for Adventures Dark and Deep set in the Celestial Imperium of Suhfang. It's very different in feel than the Flanaess, and few familiar deities are present (and even the "common" deities have a cultural paint job), but I've got a kingdom called Prestoria in the vicinity that was founded by Palish refugees, so there's some familiar elements the players can hang their hats on.

Joe / GG
    Master Greytalker

Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:02 am  

Argon wrote:
    ...Now to add one other tidbit. The elves of Ravilla have a race known as felldrakes cool name right? Well the name aside they were basically treated as half dragons that mated with elves. I prefer to have them as a race of their own. They are a servant type race in my version that act as go betweens between dragons and mortals. The problem is after the demon wars transpired less dragons exist yet more felldrakes are being born....

So, I'm a little confused. I, too, liked the feldrakes. They were a neat way to include a lower-CR creature that was still an actual dragon, and have them be more accessible to the setting without being large in size, and dangerous to the point of isolating them in lore. The felldrakes were usually "small" size (though I think one may've been medium), and were wingless.

But, they weren't exactly half-dragons. Half-dragons certainly did exist in Ravilla, but, they weren't the Felldrakes. In fact, there's even a miniature called "Half-Dragon Mage" in the Ravilla faction. The Empire of Ravilla is closely ties to dragons - probably more than any other faction. Bahamut was actually a patron of the nation which is the fractured remnants of the "Dragon Empire", and " he gathered with a powerful group of elven arch- mages, and together they created the creatures known as felldrakes" But, that's not quite the same as, like, mating with them. Although, one exemplar of a half-dragon mage is Orianna, a warlord for the Ravillan faction.

Here's examples of the small felldrakes, fighting alongside the Grey Elves of Ravilla, and an illustration by Sam Wood of Orianna the Ravillan warlord (from the Ghostwind Campaign).

Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:32 pm  

SirXaris wrote:

...Are you refering to Fire Newts? They are supposed to be plentiful in the Hellfurnaces and the eastern edge of the Sea of Dust.

SirXaris

-Exactly.

I wonder why I never resoponded before now... ?

Oh well. Laughing
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:14 pm  

I voted no, but interested. When I get back to running a Greyhawk campaign, I'll be running it with the GH Folio & Gary's Dragon articles describing the Gods (from before they were split into separate human pantheons and expanded). I'll likely expand into Western Oerik so I can do more to make the setting my own. I am just not sure yet how I'll achieve it.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: