JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Charm Monster
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition
    Charm Monster
    GreySage

Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:49 pm  
    Charm Monster

If you use a Charm Monster on a creature that is, essentially, dumb as a post (Animal Intelligence or "Non"), I imagine that the beast cannot really be 'commanded' to do much, right? I am guessing that all the spell basically does is prevent the affected idiotic thing from NOT attacking you, and maybe your allies, if you interpose yourself between it and them. Or do you all think you might be able to squeeze a little bit more out of said dense beastie? I am guessing likely NOT.

An example could be something like a carrion crawler (Int rating is basically, zilch!)...to what degree is this creature 'commandable' to do the caster's bidding?

-Lanthorn
    GreySage

Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:55 am  

Here are just a couple of thoughts.

First, you could coax the animal to come to you or go somewhere by luring it with food. Simply being in proximity of another creature may cause the charmed monster/animal to attack.

Second, the charmed monster of animal intelligence should follow the spellcaster around like a puppy. If it sees anyone/thing attack its master/best friend, it will certainly jump to his defense, so no real command is necessary.

SirXaris
    GreySage

Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:11 pm  

This question pertains as much to Charm Monster as it does to Charm Person...

Does a -4 pt penalty apply to the victim if-

1) the target is immobile, held, or prone (but still conscious)? Defend your rationale, please.

2) the target is unconscious or asleep? Defend your rationale, please.

Would a Wisdom bonus apply to either of those two situations? Explain why, as well.

thank you,

Lanthorn
    GreySage

Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:43 pm  

It's my understanding that 'commands' aren't actually possible with Charm spells, but only suggestions or requests. A Charmed individual that cannot understand the language of the Charmer acts for the Charmers benefit. If it understands what it's Charmer wants, but what it wants is for the Charmed individual to act contrary to its own alignment, then yes, the Charmed individual should get a new saving throw (though I don't recall what, if any, bonus applies to that roll).

SirXaris
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:18 pm  

Lanthorn wrote:
    This question pertains as much to Charm Monster as it does to Charm Person...

Does a -4 pt penalty apply to the victim if-

1) the target is immobile, held, or prone (but still conscious)? Defend your rationale, please.

No, unless the source is a ray or some similar effect, in which case the the saving throw is dependent on the effect being dodged or not. Wisdom bonuses still apply though.

Lanthorn wrote:
    2) the target is unconscious or asleep? Defend your rationale, please.

No, as being unconscious or asleep doesn't somehow make the character's willpower become less than it is (see the rules below). If a character is mentally impaired, such as being drunk as a skunk, you might then add a penalty, yet even then you might make it dependent upon the situation. For instance, that drunk barbarian might not get a penalty vs. a suggestion that he follow some dark cloaked man to their room(i.e. something he wouldn't do anyways), but that same barbarian, who is a sucker for a pretty face, might very well get the penalty when the same suggestion is cast by an attractive young lady. Depends on how brutal you want to be with your players.

Lanthorn wrote:
    Would a Wisdom bonus apply to either of those two situations? Explain why, as well.

Yes, because, if you read the rules, they tell you that it does.

"Magical Defense Adjustment listed on Table 5 applies to saving throws against magical spells that attack the mind: beguiling, charm, fear, hypnosis, illusions, possession, suggestion, etc. These bonuses and penalties are applied automatically, without any conscious effort from the character."

Now, get back to washing my car Grasshopper. Wax on. Wax off. Razz

Last edited by Cebrion on Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
    GreySage

Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:41 am  

Cebrion wrote:

Now, get back to washing my car Grasshopper. Wax on. Wax off. Razz

Cebrion, you get bonus XP for mixing your sense of humor with a movie reference. Happy Realize that Mystic considers me 'his' homunculus, and now I am the 'insect' student of the great Purple Lightning.

hmmmm...with great power comes great responsibility. Wink

All puns aside, thank you for your deliberate and thorough answers to my questions. MUCH appreciated; I was hoping to get your insights!

Off to get some chopsticks to get that pesky fly...

-Lanthorn
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:03 pm  

Laughing Laughing Laughing @ Cebrion and Lanthorn!

I have to tell Mystic to teach his homunculus how to read the rules! Laughing

Later

Argon
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: