JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - viewing unread posts
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Canonfire! & GreyTalk Support and Feedback
    viewing unread posts
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:29 am  
    viewing unread posts

Hello all, I am having a problem reading the forum. When I click on the button "view posts since your last visit on such and such date" I always get no results, even though there are clearly new posts (the forum icon is red and the dates are recent). Makes it difficult to read the forum. Just wondering if there is some trick I don't know about. Yes I am logged in when I do this. Using Firefox 15.0.1
    GreySage

Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:01 pm  

Well, that's not the usual method. Laughing

When you view the forums, you'll see a blue button to the side of the Title, a.k.a. Heading. When that button is red, there's a new post on that forum.

Given that many subjects (threads) are found under each Heading, you might want to click on the Heading, itself, and peruse the list of discussions (threads). The same indicator applies; a red button means a new comment.

Warning: After you read the "first" thread, however, all the buttons will appear blue, indicating that you've "checked" that forum, even though you might not have checked/read all of the new posts there.

On the Home/Front Page -- upper right-hand corner -- you will see the 9 "newest" discussions found on the World of Greyhawk Discussion forum -- those are "short-cuts."

To the best of my knowledge, the link you refer to has never served the function you seek. Sorry. Sad

Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:31 pm  

OK thanks, then it's a bug. Just making sure I wasn't doing something wrong. Makes it harder to read the forum, but I'll just try to keep track of the red icons.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:21 am  

Just FYI - when I first checked in today, there were 3 or 4 forums with the red icon. I clicked on one of them. There were no topics with a red icon but I could tell there were new posts in one topic because of the "last post" date. After reading that, I then went back to the main forum page, and all the forum icons were now blue. Just figured I would throw all that out there since the forum software doesn't seem to be working for me. If that's what everyone else has gotten used to then no problem, I'll leave it alone. It could be a cause of people becoming frustrated and not staying in the forums. Don't know what it would take to get fixed.
    GreySage

Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:20 am  

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Cygnus, not so! I warned you that would happen! Evil Grin

The software has always functioned in that manner. If you wish, when you see the red ball, go to the far right of that line and you will see the name of the latest poster. Click on the "page" emblem and you will go directly to his/her post.

After reading his/her post, click on your "back" arrow and you will return to the forums list and all the red balls will still be there. Painstaking, I know.

Warning: If you chose to reply to the posters comment and then "return" to the forums list via the hyperlink (at the top and bottom of the page) all the read balls will have turned blue.

Most of us just view the post date and check out the new post that way. We've been "active" long enough and visit the site often enough that we are aware of what's going on in most, if not all, of the forums. So . . .

Visit more often! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Just teasing you! You'll get use to the system. It is possible that, not having click on all of the possible links here, you are unaware of the VOLUMES of material stored on, or accessed via, this site.

So, sorry it's not working quite the way you would like, but you'll learn a lot about Greyhawk "surfing" Canonfire! the "old fashion way." Cool

So . . . stick around and bare with us! Wink

Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:34 am  

Cygnus wrote:
    Just FYI - when I first checked in today, there were 3 or 4 forums with the red icon. I clicked on one of them. There were no topics with a red icon but I could tell there were new posts in one topic because of the "last post" date. After reading that, I then went back to the main forum page, and all the forum icons were now blue. Just figured I would throw all that out there since the forum software doesn't seem to be working for me. If that's what everyone else has gotten used to then no problem, I'll leave it alone. It could be a cause of people becoming frustrated and not staying in the forums. Don't know what it would take to get fixed.

I understand what you're saying. Here's what I do.

When you first come to the Forums page and scroll down to see that there are new posts with red icons, make a mental note of which ones. Choose one and read all the new posts in that forum (they will be at the top under the stickied ones and, as Mystic mentioned, you can just check the date of the last poster in that thread to see how far down the new posts go). Be sure that each time you finish reading the new posts in a thread you use your browser's Back button to return to the front page of that forum.

When you are done reading the new posts in that forum, use your browser's Back button to return to the Forums page and you will see that the red icons remain.

The only time you get red icons in an individual forum is when that is the first page you navigate to within this website. Unfortunately, when you then go to the Forums page, none of the icons show red. Do it like I described above and you can maintain a list of forums with new posts. Smile

SirXaris
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Canonfire! & GreyTalk Support and Feedback All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

You can post new topics in this forum
    You can reply to topics in this forum
    You can edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Canonfire! is a production of the Thursday Group in assocation with GREYtalk and Canonfire! Enterprises

Contact the Webmaster.  Long Live Spidasa!

Greyhawk Gothic Font by Darlene Pekul is used under the Creative Commons License.

PHP-Nuke Copyright © 2005 by Francisco Burzi. This is free software, and you may redistribute it under the GPL. PHP-Nuke comes with absolutely no warranty, for details, see the license.
    Page Generation: 0.33 Seconds