Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - New to the Forums, not to GH
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Welcome to Greyhawk!
    New to the Forums, not to GH
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:35 pm  
    New to the Forums, not to GH

So my gaming group was batting around what world the next campaign should be in, when the topic comes up as to how much GH stuff I have on my shelf....

Bear in mind, I haven't done much in the setting since 2E, but I have always liked GH and followed the changes to the setting in the books--I've seen Christa grow up from a plucky orphan to a guildmaster, and can't wait to see what she'll get up to next!

So I'm mostly looking for resources to make a DM's life easier. NPC generators, rumor mills, plot hooks, sponsors, players' guides, etc. What are your favorites?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:33 pm  

Welcome! I was a lurker here for a long time, and only recently rejoined in an active way. Everyone here has been very welcoming and great.
    As for resources - I don't think you'll find any that are more detailed, more involved, more obsessive (in a good way) that those found here. You might have to dig a little, but just about everything's here.
    In fact, I'm sure that if you wanted to know the color of the average member of the Circle of Eight's underwear, someone here could tell you...and provide references and notes.
    GreySage

Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:56 am  

Welcome to Canonfire! DeepShadow! You've come to the right place for information and answers to your questions.

First, don't be shy about asking anything about Greyhawk. You'll likely get more answers than you know what to do with. Wink

Second, look above this thread near the top of the screen (just under the red CANONFIRE! banner. You'll see the Articles link. Click that and you'll be taken to a subject section with tons of original fan-made material.

Third, join us on Greytalk Chat on Thursday nights, 10:00pm Central Standard Time. You can ask any of your questions in real time there. The link is the left of your screen under the Greyhawk Wiki link.

SirXaris
    GreySage

Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:13 pm  

Deepshadow, please introduce yourself to us in the "Introduce Yourself" thread. You will find a veritable treasure trove of interests within this community.

I applaud that you are a 2e person. Join us in the 2e forum. I consider it my playground and 'home plane' of sorts, though I frequently shift into the 1e forum, too, as a matter of fact. Happy

Thirdly, before I add my two cents to your question, what sourceguides do you already have?

welcome aboard, and happy posting,

Lanthorn
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:33 pm  

Thanks for the welcome, everyone! Yeah, after a quick look around, I'm now finding most of what I want within arms reach of the forums. Maps were one of the main things I was looking for, and other reference stuff. Of the calendars you offer, I preferred the third one. I'm still looking into the timeline, because I'm a big fan of history and continuity.

While my shelf source material may be 2e, I'll be adapting all of it to Pathfinder. I've got the City of Greyhawk boxed set, From the Ashes, and The Adventure Begins. I thought I had another one here, but can't find it.

One major resource I'd like right now is a simple players' guide. Is there somewhere that summarizes the basic common knowledge of the people and lands?
    GreySage

Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:34 pm  

DeepShadow wrote:
    One major resource I'd like right now is a simple players' guide. Is there somewhere that summarizes the basic common knowledge of the people and lands?

If you are going to run a campaign, post-Greyhawk Wars, the Living Greyhawk Gazatteer is the best product I can think of to meet that requirement.

SirXaris
    CF Admin

Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:45 pm  

Welcome aboard, DeepShadow :D

Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:21 pm  

Deepshadow,

Welcome to the boards. I look forward to seeing you on the boards.

Later

Argon
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:17 am  

DS, here's a few interesting threads:
    Gradsul
    Gradsul map1
    Gradsul map2

PS: Where is the forum search hidden again? It used to be there but quite hidden now i cant find it anymore...
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:53 am  

DeepShadow wrote:
    While my shelf source material may be 2e, I'll be adapting all of it to Pathfinder. I've got the City of Greyhawk boxed set, From the Ashes, and The Adventure Begins. I thought I had another one here, but can't find it.
    That's all? ;-)

Get the LGG (used on amazon for $10). It is the best gazetteer style overview, not as glorious as the RL Gazetteers, but very good and it's 3E. Not much rules material though (which is a good thing) .

There's not much else published in 3E for GH except the most excellent Living Greyhawk journal which i heartily recommend if you can get your hands on it. (Parts of #0 is available here, the issues 0 to 5 are collectible, afterwars it was folded first into Dungeon then Dragon. See The LGJ index here for details). In addition to that we have a few Dungeon adventures and Dragon articles. (see the incomplete Greyhawk in periodicals index here). The two dragon articles on GH regional feats where great. (Most of them are available here though with you playing PF conversion might be a bit too much.

And of course Expedition to Castle Greyhawk, which is better than Expedition to Castle Ravenloft, but still not that great for Greyhawk fans.

The Living Greyhawk Deities document is a great resource.

Wotc used to have some articles on Greyhawk and a few NPCs on their website. I dimly remember a compilation of the links of them somewhere but probably it's all lost.

For fan-made 3E material check out Duicarthan's site which has 3.5 NPC conversions and converted GH items. Oerth Journal is the GH netbook which has improved to great production value lately.
    Here's a great 3.5 conversion of the GH magic items from Greyhawk adventures.

Now for 1e/2e there's of course loads of official stuff. Depends wholly on what you seek. At least get the free Ivid the Undying PDF, though its not exactly relevant to a campaign in gradsul...

Quote:

For an intro you could get the 2E Player's Guide to Greyhawk if cou can get it cheap. (probably soon available on Drivvethrurpg again). It's very player friendly. Or use some online introductions. There are many...

Check out the following threads/articles for more about intro material , which GH books are great and what resources are there:

(Living) Greyhawk
    A world of greyhawk primer thread
    How to describe Greyhawk to a new player?
    Where do i start?
    Greyhawk annotated Bibiliography article on CF
    (most threads with posts by me with further links to great stuff, though some of the links might be dead now)
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Welcome to Greyhawk! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: