Canonfire :: View topic - Postfest Village Draft
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Postfest Forum & Archive
    Postfest Village Draft
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:04 pm  

Where are submissions to be posted?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:40 pm  

bump. Also, just because I feel like making this post more interesting than just a bump, I just completed my first 3.5-4e adventure conversion! Whoooo! :D
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:08 pm  

LtGreeneyes wrote:
    Where are submissions to be posted?

-I second the query. Barring any critiques on my edition conversions, I'm ready to turn in location "B", and "42" will follow soon. Happy
    GreySage

Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:48 pm  

I haven't heard, yet. Confused

I did e-mail one of mine to Cebrion, but that was just for a proof read, not a submission.

I suppose we should hear something soon. Wink

Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:09 pm  

Yeah... I'm not quite ready yet because I havn't actually done the writeups... What all kind of information did you guys include? I asked about them on the other thread, but the answer was missed due to my error with map area calculation. :D

I would imagine a little bit of background about the characters and a brief description of the interior/exterior areas? Is there anything else that should/could be added?
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:08 pm  

LtGreeneyes wrote:
    Yeah... I'm not quite ready yet because I havn't actually done the writeups... What all kind of information did you guys include? I asked about them on the other thread, but the answer was missed due to my error with map area calculation. :D

I would imagine a little bit of background about the characters and a brief description of the interior/exterior areas? Is there anything else that should/could be added?

Ta da!

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=60019#60019

"People just need to get a piece of graph paper, draw their map on it in *black ink*, label the areas with numbers, scan it or take a picture of it with their phone's camera or a camera, and e-mail it to me. Anybody who can't manage this, to them I would simply ask, "Could you tell me exactly how you managed to get on the intarwebz?" Wink I will be working to put any rough maps that are submitted into a more finished form. If you all give me map that look like the top one in the picture below, and I'll provide maps for everyone that look more like the bottom one."

...and for the internet challenged:

"Well, perhaps you can draw using lines, letters, numbers and spaces in an actual post. It takes a bit of time, but it is not difficult. For example:

Map:

l_____2______l__________3__________l
    l____________l_____________________l
    l____________l_____________________l
    l_____0______l__________0__________l_______0_______
    l____________l_____________________l_______0_______l
    l____________l_____________________l_______0_______l
    l____________l_____1_______________l_______4_______l
    l____________l_____________________0_______________l
    l____________l_____________________l_______________l
    l____________l_____________________l_______________l
    l_____________________0____________l_______________l

Key:

______________ = 10 ft. (building footprint = 20 ft. X 35 ft. overall)

0 = door

All walls are meant to be straight (of course).

That is all I would need to translate it to a finished version. As to the simple entries, like a farmhouse, they should be something like this:

"29. Farmhouse

Brief description.

1. Entry Room

Brief description.

2. Farmer's Bedroom

Brief description.

3. Children's Bedroom

Brief description.

4. Kitchen/Pantry

Brief description.

Closing details regarding anything interesting about the location."

Something like the above should be the standard for a location as simple as a farmhouse.

As to the rest, it is unnecessary to delve this deep into any related topic to write up "29. Farmhouse". Describe the location and any key points, not write a treatise on the history of industrial farming, animal husbandry, how monks were instrumental in preserving and teaching farming methods post Dark Ages...er...post Greyhawk Wars; fish poo or cow poo- which is better; market shares in pork bellies, pork rinds, and pork chops- the gnomish connection; why my neighbors' grass is greener than mine, etc. Delve into whatever research you want to, but leave the extraneous information out of your offerings. Keep it close to the sort of description you would see for such locations in an adventure. Don't write "Farmhouse- The Collected EPIC Series!!!", but "29. Farmhouse"."

...and for the NPCs:

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5469&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=25

One last bit regarding stats. Anyone who does get to stat out a Professional need not do so with the usual massive stat block. I would be preferable that people just mention the notable bits about them, like this:

Bob the bower is a gruff older man (age 58), but his few friends know that his surly mien hides a dry wit. He is an accomplished bowyer, having learned some of his trade while briefly living among the elves of the Gamboge. Bob knows he does good work, and will take it as an insult if anyone tries to lowball him when striking a bargain. He will still deal with such individuals, if they haven't insulted him too greatly, but they will be charged 20% more.

[1E] Bob the Bowyer, Male Human Ranger 3
    Dex: 16, Con: 13, Int: 15, Cha: 8; H.P.: 20, AL: CG
    Profession: Bowyer; speaks Elvish; +1 composite longbow

[2E] Bob the Bowyer, Male Human Ranger 3
    Dex: 16, Con: 13, Int: 15, Cha: 8, H.P.: 20, AL: CG
    NWP: Boywer-fletcher; speaks Elvish; +1 composite longbow.

[3.XE] Bob the Bowyer, Male Human Ranger 2/Expert 2
    Dex: 16, Con: 13, Int: 15, Cha: 8; H.P.: 20, AL: CG
    Track, Wild Empathy, Favored Enemy: goblinoid, Combat Stuyle: Archery (bonus Rapid Shot feat); Craft: Bowmaking +12, Skill Focus: Bowmaking, Speak Language: Elvish, Weapon Focus: composite longbow, Point blank Shot, Precise Shot; +1 composite longbow.

[4E] Bob the Bowyer, Male Human Striker 3 (Archer Ranger)
    Dex: 16, Con: 13, Int: 15, Cha: 8; H.P.: 20, AL: Good
    ...etc.

So, just the high points (and low points, if any). Leave it to DMs to fill in the rest, as they wish."

You don't have to do different editions. It just makes it easier for others.

I can't find it, but you are also encouraged to add "what happens after", i.e., take it past CY 577.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:58 pm  

Perfect, thank you, haha.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:47 pm  

I plan to have the village brief out by this weekend. Once you have all read it, you can further flesh out your articles with some local details (if needed/desired). One bit I will tell you now is the name of the village- Wildrun (more information related to the name, and why it is named this, will be forthcoming).

Submissions should be sent in using the "Submit Article" option under "Features" at left. This process does not allow for maps files to be submitted though (unless they are composed of text to form a picture), so....

Maps images may be sent to btmcrae<at>gmail<dot>com. Please name your map files using properly descriptive names (i.e. "inn_map", not something like "PX12242"). Also, put the name of your submitted article in the message (i.e. Here are the maps for my "The Knot Hole Inn" article), and also include both your Canonfire! handle (i.e. the name you post under on the forums) and your real name, just so that I positively know who is who.

Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:53 am  

Cebrion wrote:
    Maps images may be sent to btmcrae<at>gmail<dot>com. Please name your map files using properly descriptive names (i.e. "inn_map", not something like "PX12242"). Also, put the name of your submitted article in the message (i.e. Here are the maps for my "The Knot Hole Inn" article), and also include both your Canonfire! handle (i.e. the name you post under on the forums) and your real name, just so that I positively know who is who.

Not to impede on Brian's thoughts, but to add....
    It will also be helpful for those submitting several pictures to note the location within their submittal as well wouldn't it? i.e. (borrowed from James)
    [2E] Bob the Bowyer, Male Human Ranger 3 {BobBower.jpg}
    Dex: 16, Con: 13, Int: 15, Cha: 8, H.P.: 20, AL: CG
    NWP: Boywer-fletcher; speaks Elvish; +1 composite longbow.
    Farm House{BobBowyer's House.jpg}
    29. Farmhouse

Brief room descriptions.

1. Entry Room
      2. Farmer's Bedroom
      3. Children's Bedroom
      4. Kitchen/Pantry

Bob's Bows{Bob's Bowyershop.jpg}with discriptors of course.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:44 pm  

If the pics are drawn by them, or are in the public domain, sure, people can include pics. Otherwise, just the maps.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:35 am  

Ah good point I failed to detail. Shocked Embarassed .... or as the dwarvish portrait guild would say...
    "If it aint yers dont use it" Laughing Happy
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:02 am  
    B. Shrine of Phyton/Home of Priest

Thought I did this last week. Most have forgot. Confused

Looking for input/critique:

B: Adept’s House & Shrine to Phyton (on a small trail north of [insert name of village here])

20’ x 15’ log structure with thatch roof within a 45’ x 45’ sheep pen.

1. Kitchen

Long Table and 8 armchairs (3 per side, 1 on each end). Cabinet with mismatched, 5-7 piece dinner set. Well-stocked fireplace/oven, including utensils from ceiling.

2. Bedroom

Doublebed and wardrobe, nightstand with candlestick. Rug on floor.

3. Spare Bedroom/Pantry/Storage

Doublebed and wardrobe. Stored goods, miscellaneous stored items, including wooden tub for cleaning/bathing (yeah, they bathe once a week). Trapdoor to small cellar/tunnel on north wall under bed (no more than 2’ around; leads into a wooded area 70 yards to south; not regularly used; really tight; cave-ins possible).

4. Sheep Pen (surrounding building)
    1 ram; 7 ewes; 5-11 lambs (by season).

5. Outhouse (15 yards to north of exit of sheep pen).
    Medicinal leaves in a bucket and vinegar.

6. Garden/Grove (90 yards to north)
    A circular, quarter acre (~40 yard diameter) plot of medicinal plants and flowers, surrounded by walnut, apple, and oak trees. He holds services every Godsday, plus the 4th of Needfest, Growfest, Richfest, and Brewfest. [With a DC 15 in Gardener or Nature: "The grove is not only far larger than anything else in the village [a guess on my part, but considering that it's at least a quarter acre, a good bet], it obviously enjoys meticulous (yet unobtrusive) care." ]

The middle-aged adept of Phyton did well with his long-deceased parents’ land is a newlywed, and carries on his father and grandfather’s role as an adept of Phyton for [insert village name here]. He genuinely enjoys gardening. Normally, he only leaves the farm or shrine if seeing a member of his flock. Those who don’t understand Flann very well might have trouble communicating with him.

Treat him as “Friendly” to most villagers or to passing Phyton worshippers, and as “Helpful” to Phyton-worshipping locals; although out-going and polite, treat him as “Indifferent” to others. Anyone can try to pose as a Phyton worshipper in order to get more favorable treatment form him with a successful “Bluff” against his “Sense Motive” DC 14 (including “Religion” +1); anyone caught trying to deceive him will be treated as “Unfriendly” at best. Fees for spell-casting:
    Spell Helpful Friendly Indifferent Unfriendly
    Cure Minor Wounds Free 2.5 gp 5 gp 10 gp
    Cure Light Wounds 1 gp 5 gp 10 gp 20 gp
    He casts Purify Food & Drink as a free benediction for any meal to which he is a guest (or, normally, he and his wife’s own supper). He uses his Heal skills and medicinal plants to anyone to whom he is “Helpful” without charge.

Since his grandfather’s time, the adepts have tried to get a fully trained cleric/priest for the village, but they’re still waiting.

D&D3X: Male human Adp1 (748 XP, reaches Adp2 in CY 591): HD 1d6+0; hp 6; AL NG (CG); Str 10, Dex 10, Con 11, Int 13, Wis 13, Cha 11. Appearance: 5ft. 4in., 136lb., 40 yrs., wavy light brown hair, black eyes, light tan skin, Com 9. Skills: Handle Animal +1, Knowledge (Nature: Gamboge) +2 + Int = +3, Knowledge (Religion: Phyton) +1 + Int = +2, Profession (Gardner) +4 + Wis = +5, Profession (Stockman) +4 + Wis = +5, Survival +4 + Wis + SS =+7. Languages: Flann (native), Common (basic). Feats: Negotiator [Diplomacy +2, Sense Motive +2], Self-Sufficient [Heal +2, Survival +2]; working to learn the Scimitar. Spells Prepared: 0- cure minor wounds [cure 1 hp], guidance [+1 on a roll], purify food and drink; 1- cure light wounds [cure 1d8+1 hp], burning hands [ might substitute spells under the following conditions: comprehend languages if planning to meet a non-Flann speaker; endure elements if outdoors, and the temp. is over 100 degrees or lower than 20 degrees F; detect evil if he’s suspicious of someone whose alignment he’d like to check].

AD&D2: 0 level Cleric (-242 XP; will not make 1st level until long after CY 591): HD 1d6+0; hp 6, AL NG (CG); Str 11, Dex 11, Con 12, Int 13, Wis 13, Cha 11, Com 10. Possible Proficiencies: Read & Write, Gardening, Weather Sense, Plant Lore, Foraging, Direction Sense, Light Crossbow, Survival (Temperate Forest), Animal Husbandry, Tracking, Hunting. Light spell for its offensive capabilities.

AD&D1: 0 level Cleric (-242 XP; will not make 1st level until long after CY 591): HD 1d6+0; hp 6, AL NG (CG); Str 12, Dex 11, Con 13, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 10, Com 10. Possible Proficiencies/Skills: Literate, Light Crossbow, Gardner, Animal Husbandman, Survivalist. Light spell for its offensive capabilities.

Possessions: Light Crossbow & 7-10 bolts, silver and enameled holy symbol (heirloom). Three books on Phyton faith.

Post- CY 577: In the summer of CY 585, a newly ordained [Clr1] priest of Phyton, needing to avoid the intensified inquisitions in the Pale, is finally sent to [insert village name here]. He will live in the spare bedroom, at least initially.

The adept’s wife did not marry until recently in part to take care of her long-ailing, and finally deceased, father (she is the sister of the swineherd at location 42). She is obsessively clean and tidy, but doesn’t clean or tidy things very well. She likes to hear stories and news, but those who don’t understand Flann very well might have even more trouble communicating with her than with her husband.

She will invite adventurers to whom she feels “Helpful” to supper so she can pump them for news and stories, assuming her husband’s reaction is at least “Friendly” (he’s used to indulging her).

D&D3X: Female human Com1 (422 XP): HD 1d4+0; hp 3; AL NG (N); Str 7, Dex 10 , Con 11, Int 10, Wis 7, Cha 8. Appearance: 5ft. 4in., 136lb., 31 yrs., wavy near black hair, brown eyes, very dark tan skin, Com 9. Skills: Profession (Cook) +4 – Wis + SF = +5, Profession (Janitor) +1 – Wis = -1, Profession (Seamstress) +3 – Wis = +1, Profession (Stockman) +4 – Wis + SF = +5. Languages: Flann (native), Common (basic). Feats: Lt. Crossbow, Skill Focus (Cook) [+3], Skill Focus (Stockman) [+3]. Traits: Illiterate* [*D&D 3.5 UA, p. 88]. With her husband’s help, she is trying to learn how to read (2 skill points required; not until after CY 591).

AD&D2: 0 level Woman (-289 XP): HD 1d4+0; hp 3; AL NG (N); Str 7, Dex 10 , Con 11, Int 10, Wis 7, Cha 8, Com 9. Possible Proficiencies: Light Crossbow, Cook, Animal Husbandry.

AD&D1: 0 level Woman (-289 XP): HD 1d4+0; hp 3; AL NG (N); Str 8, Dex 10 , Con 12, Int 11, Wis 7, Cha 8, Com 8. Possible Proficiencies/Skills: Light Crossbow, Cook, Animal Husbandry.
    Post- CY 577: She will suffer a miscarriage in CY 579, and give birth to a baby boy in CY 591.---
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:06 am  
    42 Swineherd/Pigsty

42: Farmhouse/Pigsty

15’ x 15’ wooden structure with a wooden roof on 8 legs (11’ high, 4 per corner, and 4 around the trapdoor), with a rope ladder coming, over a fenced in pigsty.

1. Kitchen/Parlor

Long Table and 8 armchairs. Well-stocked fireplace/ oven, including utensils from ceiling.

2. Bedroom (Swineherd)

Doublebed and wardrobe. Chamber bucket.

3. Bedroom (Step-mother)

Doublebed and wardrobe. Chamber bucket.

4. Storage/Pantry
    Stored goods, spare furniture (including cots and a singlebed broken into its component parts), miscellaneous stored items, barrels filled with water.

5. Pen (around hut)
    2 boars; 15 sows; 6-15 piglets. One of the sows has (among other pig traits) Follow Scent, and is Trained in Track, Assist Track [Complete Adventurer, p. 100], Hunt [Complete Adventurer, p. 100], Seek, Attack, and Down.

6. Smokehouse (30 yards to west).
    6’ x 8’ sauna/smokehouse.

The swineherd wasn’t doing well with his parent’s property until about 10 years ago (even now, it’s a little run down), when he shifted from gardening and animal husbandry (for which he has little love) to hunting and foraging. His truffle-hunting forays, with the assistance of his trained sow, have been particularly lucrative, if dangerous. So far, he has survived his fights with the hostile denizens of the woods. After his father’s death, he has married, and his half-sister married the adept of Phyton (to whom he is indifferent). Those who don’t understand Flann very well might have trouble communicating with him.

Treat him as initially “Friendly” or “Indifferent” to most villagers, and “Indifferent” to everyone else.

If the village needs the services of a tracker, he will proudly spend up to two weeks assisting without charge. For a period over that, or for outsiders:

Helpful Friendly Indifferent
    Per Day of Tracking (with trained pig) 3 sp/day 4 sp/day 1 gp/day
    Note: This is for his services as a tracker, not a sniper/infiltrator, for which he would ask a the tracking fee, plus a double share (including the pig), assuming that he accepts at all.

He is trying to train additional pigs.

[3.XE] Male human Com1/Sct2 (3,503 XP): HD 1d6; hp 6; AL N; Str 10, Dex 11, Con 11, Int 11, Wis 11, Cha 12. Appearance: 41 yrs., 5ft. 3in., 129lb., wavy near black hair, brown eyes, reddish-brown skin, Com 5. Skills: Climb +1, Handle Animal +5, Profession (Herdsman) +3, Profession (Hunter) +5, Profession (Stockman) +1, Search +1, Survival +5. Languages: Flann (native), Common (basic). Feats: Skill Focus (Survival) [+3]; Track. Traits: Illiterate. Special Abilities: Trapfinding, Skirmish.

AD&D2: 1st level Thief [Scout] (162 XP): HD1d6; hp 5; AL N; Str 11, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 11, Com 6. Possible Proficiencies: Light Crossbow, Animal Handling, Tracking, Hunting, Foraging, Handaxe.

AD&D1: 1st level Thief (162 XP): HD1d6; hp 5; AL N; Str 11, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 11, Wis 11, Cha 12, Com 5. Possible Proficiencies: Light Crossbow, Animal Handling, Tracking, Hunting, Foraging, Handaxe.

Possessions: Light Crossbow and handaxe; padded or leather armor (by season).

Post- CY 577: At the end of CY 588, the swineherd’s old trained pig will die, but will have been replaced with two others. At the end of CY 591, one of the legs of the hut will break in the middle of the night, collapsing the hut in the middle of the night. No one will be killed, but it will take a while to rebuild, even with the neighbors’ help. A Craft (Carpentry) DC of 20 within one month of the collapse will notice the flaw, DC 15 within 24 hours. Neither the swineherd, his step-mother, nor any regular visitors will note the flaw before the collapse. If a PC does, the swineherd’s attitude improves one category, if the PCs help, it improves by two categories.

The swineherd’s stepmother’s husband passed away three years ago. She is the mother of the wife of the adept of Phyton. She generally stays inside nowadays, cooking and cleaning.

D&D3X: Female human Com2 (1,699 XP): HD 2d4+0; hp 2; AL N; Str 4, Dex 8 , Con 9, Int 12, Wis 12 Cha 13 Appearance: 5ft. 1in., 130lb., 62 yrs., wavy near black (graying) hair, light brown eyes, very dark reddish-tan skin, Com 5. Skills: Clib +3 –Str = +0, Heal (non-class) +1 +Wis = +2, Profession (Cook) +5 + Wis + SF = +9, Profession (Seamstress) +4 + Wis = +5, Profession (Stockman) +5 + Wis = +6. Languages: Flann (native), Common (basic). Feats: Lt. Crossbow, Skill Focus (Cook) [+3], Great Fortitude. Traits: Illiterate* [*D&D 3.5 UA, p. 88].

AD&D2: 0 level Woman? (+ 343 XP): HD 1d4+0; hp 2; AL N; Str 5, Dex 9 , Con 10, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 11, Com 6. Possible Proficiencies: Light Crossbow, Cook, Animal Husbandry.

AD&D1: 0 level Woman? ( +343 XP): HD 1d4+0; hp 2; AL N; Str 5, Dex 9 , Con 11, Int 11, Wis 12, Cha 11, Com 5. Possible Proficiencies/Skills: Light Crossbow, Cook, Animal Husbandry.

Post- CY 577: She will be hurt badly (i.e., temporarily reduced below 0 hit points during the hut collapse in CY 591, but will survive at least until after the new year.
    Paladin

Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:51 am  

humm strange said it posted yet no post... forgive in advance if this doubles

Big C>My appologies, due to thunder storms lost power last night as you were saying something you hoped about the herbalist?

To all, my appologies for my unplanned rapid departure from the Greytalk last eve, it was good conversing with all of you again. Will try not to be so long before the next.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:38 am  

Dark_Lord_Galen wrote:
    humm strange said it posted yet no post... forgive in advance if this doubles

Big C>My appologies, due to thunder storms lost power last night as you were saying something you hoped about the herbalist?

To all, my appologies for my unplanned rapid departure from the Greytalk last eve, it was good conversing with all of you again. Will try not to be so long before the next.

-Funny you should mention herbalists. Any chance you think that the priest of Phyton would "overpower" a different herbalist?
    Paladin

Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:35 pm  

James,
    that depends..
    A preist(ess) of Phyton believes they represent man's dominance over nature.
    So there could potentially be hostilities, I suppose. Alot would depend on the perspective of the Phyton and how they viewed the herbalist... Since I don't view her as embracing a total druidical philosophy but utilizing natural ingredients to produce results, they may in fact begrugenly share some perspectives, though the divine piece is always going to be in the way.

I (just last night as a matter of fact) decided on tackling the Herbalist.... I see this NPC as a schismed personallity with one foot (or personality) embracing the natural medicinals that nature can provide, not these "hocus pocus divinations of cure this and heal that" (to quote her). Shocked

And yet the other part of her fractured personality embraces the arcane applications of the raw ingredients, thus circumventing the power of the gods so to speak.

So,as a general rule, she would have "roots" in opposition to divine teachings so to speak, but depending on which persona happens to "show up" it may be more arcane or druidal in knowledge. Might make for some interesting role play.

Again these are the random thoughts of a disturbed mind (mine not hers Laughing Wink ) so I have yet to plot a course.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:32 am  

Dark_Lord_Galen wrote:
    James,
    that depends..
    So there could potentially be hostilities, I suppose..

-Oh, no. I'm not talking about them duking it out. Instead of "overpower", I should have typed "over-shadowed."

I can't remember which edition you use (the only poster's preference I can remember is Lanthorn and his precious AD&D2 Razz Laughing ), but as far as D&D 3.5 game mechanics go, I figure a total +5 modifier in Heal (including feats and WIS) would be a minimum, and +10 wouldn't be outrageous (+4 skill points if Lvl1, +3 for Skill Focus (Heal), +1 for 12WIS; + more skill points if higher than Lvl1, or for other feats, or higher WIS). She could probably use Craft (Alchemy), too. If AD&D1 or AD&D2, she should be at least double on Heal. That would make her "Top Dog" in the healing and concoctions department.

Dark_Lord_Galen wrote:
    James,
    that depends..
    So there could potentially be hostilities, I suppose..

-I see him as pretty laid back. Of course he's a little friendlier with his parishoners and other Phyton worshippers, but "indifferent" means non-hostile and polite to others, including your herbalist.

Unless, of course, you think it'd be interesting to make it otherwise. Evil Grin

Perhaps they have history... Wink Laughing

Of course, that might require a little tweaking of his background...
    Paladin

Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:02 am  

jamesdglick wrote:
    -Oh, no. I'm not talking about them duking it out. Instead of "overpower", I should have typed "over-shadowed." ...

Ah ok, yea more in line with my thinking as well.

jamesdglick wrote:

I can't remember which edition you use (the only poster's preference I can remember is Lanthorn and his precious AD&D2 Razz Laughing ), but as far as D&D 3.5 game mechanics go, I figure a total +5 modifier in Heal (including feats and WIS) would be a minimum, and +10 wouldn't be outrageous (+4 skill points if Lvl1, +3 for Skill Focus (Heal), +1 for 12WIS; + more skill points if higher than Lvl1, or for other feats, or higher WIS). She could probably use Craft (Alchemy), too. If AD&D1 or AD&D2, she should be at least double on Heal. That would make her "Top Dog" in the healing and concoctions department....

As to my preference, it lies with Lanthorn as well, but alas, my players prefer 3.5e so here were are.... Neutral
    Again, my thoughts exactly.... more of a naturelist Herbalist.... (is that a sub-class?? hehhe)Miracle Maxine maybe? Laughing Laughing
    I was thinking a Sybil version of a naturalist alcemist. If it were not for her schism. she might actually be practicing her arts somewhere besides rual nowhere's ville.

jamesdglick wrote:

-I see him as pretty laid back. Of course he's a little friendlier with his parishoners and other Phyton worshippers, but "indifferent" means non-hostile and polite to others, including your herbalist. ...

I see he as such as well, though she would be a bit more acidic, due to her antipathy of the divine aspects. "the gods don't embue these ingredents to have such properties, they do such of their own accord with out any interference from them".... hehe
    ie Science versus Religon so to speak.

Thoughts anyone?
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:20 pm  

I'm not aware of any detailed canonical info on Phyton worship a la the later #300+ Dragon articles. I try to stick with canon (even when it apparently contradicts itself Laughing Shocked ).

I figured worship days would be pretty elementary: Godsday and the fest days.

I wasn't crazy about an having everyone just standing around for services, and thought the style would be participatory, so:

Every Godsday: Services. They begin just before noon [no clocks needed], and consist of walking discussions around the grove, spoken in a combination of Common and Flann to fit the recipients (all of whom speak at least some Common). The priest usually starts with a brief talk on the beauty and bounty of nature, usually with a certain item in or around the grove as an example [think Victory Garden]. From there, parishioners offer their own thoughts, practical, philosophical, or both. Every adult parishioner in good standing is free to take part, but no one is forced to say anything. This usually only takes 5-10 minutes (but can last longer), after which a parishioners or two might stick around for an hour or so to help tend the grove and talk to the priest. At certain times, parishioners might take a bit of the grove’s riper bounty. Afterward, the priest usually goes to a parishioner’s place to give advice, a blessing, or to cast a spell.

Due to his specialized focus, not every parishioner of Phyton holds every rite of passage though Phyton (some prefer Pelor for these), but if there is a birth to celebrate, or a marriage or a funeral to perform, it will be done in place of the walk-around discussion. Funerals start at the grove, and go to the place of burial. No one is buried in or around the grove, because it is a place of life, not death. Celebrations of new parishioners, or for those coming of age (usually 13 years) are held before a regular walk-around service.

Every 4th of Needfest, Growfest, Richfest, and Brewfest: Services. These occasions have a more formal feel. The parishoners stand at the entrance from the grove, while the priest waits until noon, standing at whatever spot he has chosen. On these occasions, he discusses the finer points of the faith (e.g., when does “partaking” of nature’s bounty threaten to become “over-taxing” nature?), perhaps using a story of the faith (Saint Yanny Appleseed, perhaps?).

I'm trying to reconcile the different versions of Phyton (Cebrion knows what I mean). I'm toying with the idea of the practical, pioneer CG "god of nature's beauty as enhanced by man" Phyton as the "original" form of worship as practiced by the Suel (I think it sort of fits), and the "beauty of nature" with a hint of "hey! stop messing with that bush!"CG (N) version with druids as his message adapted by the Flan in the Pale. However, this would require reversing the order of things in the Living Greyhawk Gazeteer, which I'm not crazy about.

Comments?
    Paladin

Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:51 pm  

Did this die on the vine?? I've been away (mostly, work has left me little time last year). and doesn't appear to be a lot of activity on it.
    Just curious....
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:45 pm  

Dark_Lord_Galen wrote:
    Did this die on the vine?? I've been away (mostly, work has left me little time last year). and doesn't appear to be a lot of activity on it.
    Just curious....

Last I saw was this:

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=posting&mode=quote&p=62022

Cebrion wrote:
    ...I lost my Postfest file. Working versions of the map? Gone. More importantly, all of the text I had organized and written was lost...

...of course, that was 20 JAN 2014... Razz

I think I resent my stuff, and could do it again, no problem.
    Paladin

Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:15 pm  

jamesdglick wrote:
    Dark_Lord_Galen wrote:
    Just curious....

Last I saw was this:

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=posting&mode=quote&p=62022

Cebrion wrote:
    ...I lost my Postfest file. Working versions of the map? Gone. More importantly, all of the text I had organized and written was lost...

...of course, that was 20 JAN 2014... Razz

I think I resent my stuff, and could do it again, no problem.

Last posts kinda interrelating were in the June'14 era..... I spent a lot of time in an out of airports working out of country on occasion, so lost track.... like you have "most" of what I was imagining, just didn't know if it needed to be "finished" if there was no longer a need....
    Neutral

Thanks for the rapid respond James
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:11 am  

It's been out of site, out of mind. I just checked on what I have at this point, and it needs roughly 500-1,000 more words (covering CY 330-580 and a few of the current personalities of the village that nobody chose to do). I'll get back on it.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: