JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Finnish Deities
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition
    Finnish Deities
    Adept Greytalker

Wed May 08, 2013 10:56 am  
    Finnish Deities

I know 1st edition Deities & Demigods had Finnish Deities in it. 2nd edition Legends & Lore dropped it.

My question is has anyone upgraded the Finnish Deities to 2nd edition. My main interest is spell spheres for the given deities.

I am trying to save myself time/research and homework.
    GreySage

Sun May 12, 2013 6:47 am  

I will offer some suggestions with parallels that might work for you when drafting up ideas for the Finnish mythos:

Ahto: NG Greater God of Seas & Waters
    Look to Poseidon, Xerbo, and Osprem.

Hiisi: CE Greater God of Evil
    Maybe look to Nerull and Tharizdun.

Ilmatar: LG Lesser Goddess of Mothers
    I suggest Berronar (dwarvish pantheon) for this one, perhaps, and maybe even demigoddess Merikka

Kiputytto: CE Demigoddess of Sickness "Mother of Plague"
    Check out Incabulos for sure.

Loviatar: LE Demigoddess of Hurt "Maiden of Pain"
    No particular Power comes to mind on this one.

Mielikki: NG Lesser Goddess of Nature "Mistress of the Forest"
    Definitely use Ehlonna as a template!

Surma: NE Demigod of Death
    Nerull and Hades would be good analogs.

Tuonetar: CE Greater Goddess of the Underworld
    As above, but far more powerful

Tuoni: CN(e) Greater God of the Underworld
    As above, but far more powerful, but not as malevolent

Ukko: LG Greater (Supreme) God of the Kalevala
    Use Odin and Zeus as templates. Phaulkon of the Oerth Powers may also be inspiring.

Untamo: N Lesser God of Sleep and Dreams
    No Power really comes to mind.

I will see what ideas I come up with for Spheres, armor, and weaponry when I have time.

have fun,

-Lanthorn

Last edited by Lanthorn on Sun May 12, 2013 9:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Adept Greytalker

Sun May 12, 2013 7:04 pm  

Yes, just looking for stats the players will need when making priests of the given deities.

I think I can take a relatively cheap way out of it by comparing the Finnish deities to the Norse deities or similar to fill in the blanks. It shouldn't take too long to get some basics.

I will have to do some reading to familiarize myself a bit with Finnish lore to make sure to get and particulars or unique info into the system. Otherwise, I should be able to get some basic alignments, spheres, armor and weapons pretty quickly.

Thanks for the reply.
    GreySage

Sun May 12, 2013 9:13 pm  

I goofed and instead of writing a reply to your own post, I accidentally placed it in my original response. Embarassed

For my ideas on the Finnish mythos, see my first response located above.

Sorry,

Lanthorn Confused
    Adept Greytalker

Mon May 13, 2013 1:36 pm  

Hey thanks for the ideas. I will see what I come up with and post it for others to use/alter when I get it done. Might be a short while as the snow has finally melted her in the north 1/2 of Minnesota and now yard projects are taking over. Hopefully I will have something to share in couple weeks or less.
    Adept Greytalker

Mon May 13, 2013 6:22 pm  

New to the site. When I get this done, where would be the correct place to post it? In forums or Articles or ???
    GreySage

Mon May 13, 2013 8:47 pm  

If it pertains to this thread, here is just fine.

I intend to do some research myself and offer some Sphere suggestions. Let's see what we come up with together...

-Lanthorn
    Adept Greytalker

Wed May 22, 2013 8:01 pm  

Here is a rough start. Admittedly, I know very little about Finnish Mythology. There are many deities missing. This is just a list from the old Deities and Demigods.

I didn't bother reposting a lot of the information from the book. Please see each listing for more info.

Again, this is a work in progress.

Ahto (god of the seas and waters and giver of fish), Greater God
    Duties of Priesthoods
    Priests of Ahto should be based close to the sea or be sailors. If land based, they should be administering in some fashion to seafarers. They are expected to sail in some fashion yearly; often to give sacrifices which must be given in deep water.
    Requirements
    AB standard; AL NG or any neutral; WP sickle (first) then trident, net, spear; AR b; SP all, combat*, creation*, divination, elemental (water & air), healing, protection, weather; PW 1) seamanship proficiency 3) create water 1/day 5) water walk 1/day 7) water breathing (3rd lv Mage Spell, cast at -2 lv of priest) 9) airy water (5th lv Mage Spell, cast at -2 lv of priest) TU nil.
    Symbol - Rippling water wave

Hiisi (god of evil), Greater god
    Duties of Priesthood
    Priests of Hiisi are a chaotic lot. They bring torment and destruction in furtherance of Hiisi and aid to evil creatures. Generally, worship is kept secret and below radar in order to avoid conflict with any local law enforcement.
    Requirements
    AB standard; AL any evil; WP any (club likely); AR any; SP all, combat, charm, divination, elemental*, necromantic; PW 1) Undetectable Alignment (2nd lv Mage spell) 1/week 3) darkness 15 ft radius (2nd lv Mage spell) 1/day 5) Call Lightning 1/day 7) Undetectable Alignment 1/day TU command.
    Symbol - Lightning bolt in the night sky

Ilmatar (goddess of mothers), Lesser goddess
    Duties of Priesthood
    They are keepers of history and knowledge.
    Requirements
    AB Wis 15; AL any Lawful; WP standard; AR b; SP all, animal, creation, divination, elemental, healing, plant, protection*, sun*, weather PW TU nil.
    Symbol - Looped cross

Kiputytto (goddess of sickness) “Mother of the Plague”, Demigoddess
    Duties of Priesthood
    These priests seek out sickness and plague and claim it in their deities name. Often they take offerings (bribes) to end the suffering. Priests have very poor appearance as they all have scars, etc from previous infections/illnesses (max 9 comeliness if optional ability is used).
    Requirements
    AB Con 13; AL CE; WP any; AR a; SP all, combat, healing (reverse), necromantic (reverse), protection; PW 1) +4 saving throw vs rotting, wasting, disease or similar effects, 3) Cause Fear 1/day 5) Cause Disease 1/day 9) Immunity to normal diseases TU command -4
    Symbol – Battered metal bowl over a flame

Loviatar (goddess of hurt) “Maiden of Pain”, Demigoddess
    Duties of Priesthood
    Priests seek out ways to cause others pain. Executioners and torturers are good examples.
    Requirements
    AB standard; AL any evil; WP any AR any SP all, charm, combat, healing (reverse), necromantic (reverse); PW 1) Cause Fear 1/day 3) Protection from Good 5) Cause Paralysis (use 3rd lv Mage spell Hold Person (only affects one individual) 1/day 7) +4 Saving Throws vs Magic 9) Spell Immunity 1/day; TU command -4
    Symbol – White dagger held in a pallid hand

Mielikki (goddess of nature) “Mistress of the Forest”, Lesser goddess
    Duties of Priesthood
    Priests of Mielikki can be priests or druids.
    Requirements
    AB standard; AL N or any good; WP standard; AR b; SP as druid or all, animal, combat*, elemental, healing, plant, protection*, summoning, sun, weather ; PW 1) +2 Saving Throw vs Charm type spells, 3) Ranger abilities (at -2 lv of Priest) of tracking, hide in shadows, move silently and animal empathy TU nil.
    Symbol – Evergreen

Surma (demigod of death), Demigod
    Duties of Priesthood
    Surma guards the gates of the underworld preventing escape. Surma’s priests are dealers of death and destruction in the name of their deity.
    Requirements
    AB standard; AL any evil; WP any (club); AR any; SP all, combat, elemental, necromantic, protection PW 1) use fighter THAC0 chart 3) Taunt (1st lv Mage spell) 1/day 5) Speak with Dead (3rd lv Priest spell) 1/day 7) +4 Saving Throw vs Fear 9) Cloak of Fear (4th lv Priest spell) 1/day; TU command +1 lv
    Symbol – Withered oak branch

Tuonetar (goddess of the underworld), Greater god
    Duties of Priesthood
    Prepare the sick and dying for the underworld; sometimes helping them along.
    Requirements
    AB standard; AL CE; WP any; AR any; SP all, combat, healing (reverse), necromantic (reverse); PW 1) Cause Fear 1/day, 5) Speak With Dead 1/day 9) Cloak of Fear 1/day 14) Creeping Doom 1/day; TU command.
    Symbol – Decapitated head

Tuoni (god of the underworld), Greater god
    Duties of Priesthood
    Assist those near death on the battlefield in reaching the land of the dead; sometimes helping them along.
    Requirements
    AB standard; AL any chaotic; WP any (club); AR any; SP all, combat, healing (reverse), necromantic (reverse); PW 1) +4 Saving Throws vs Death or Charm type spells 5) Dispel Magic (3rd lv Mage spell) 1/day, 7) Polymorph Self (4th lv Mage spell) 1/day, 16) Prismatic Wall (8th lv Mage spell) 1/day, TU turn or command.
    Symbol – His club in a clenched fist

Ukko (supreme god of the Kalevala), Greater god
    Duties of Priesthood
    Generally helpful to those that follow the finnish mythos. Supportive of goodness and civility.
    Requirements
    AB standard; AL any good; WP any (sword); AR any; SP all, combat, divination, elemental*, guardian, healing, necromantic, protection*, sun*, weather PW 1) Remove Fear 1/day 9) Dispel Evil 1/day TU turn.
    Symbol – Flaming Sword

Untamo (god of sleep and dreams), Lesser god
    Duties of Priesthood
    Watch over and protect those that sleep.
    Requirements
    AB standard; AL N; WP any (club); AR any; SP all, astral, charm, divination, guardian, healing, protection; PW 1) +2 Saving Throws vs Illusions, etc also gets Saving Throw vs Sleep spells 3) Hypnotism (1st lv Mage spell) 1/day 5) Sleep (1st lv Mage spell) 1/day 9) Dream or Nightmare (5th lv Mage spell) 1/day, TU nil.
    Symbol – Closed eyes
    GreySage

Thu May 23, 2013 2:52 pm  

Overall, I think you've done a good job with your choices. If time permits, I will go over them with more reflection and offer potential suggestions, if any present themselves.

Nicely done,

Lanthorn
    Adept Greytalker

Fri May 24, 2013 10:17 am  

Thanks. Understandably it is a very rough draft but I wanted to get something baseline out there.

In the future I hope to read a little more on Finnish Mythology and tweek it but for now, at least it has a starting point.

It is going to be a back burner project for now. Life (summer & summer choirs) are going to be taking up much of my free time.
    GreySage

Sat May 25, 2013 8:54 am  

If you have access to Tome of Magic and Spells & Magic you may wish to include the following 'new' priest Spheres to your lists:

Chaos, Law, Numbers, Thought, Time, Travelers, War, and Wards

-Lanthorn
    Adept Greytalker

Sat May 25, 2013 10:37 am  

I do but IMC I didn't want to deal with adding the new spheres to all the older deities so I have a basic system for which deities have access to the new spheres.

You are correct though, since I am taking the time to create this information, I should add those in.

Thanks for the suggestion.
    GreySage

Sat May 25, 2013 10:47 am  

I am interested to see what you add to your existing Spheres...

Happy

-Lanthorn
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:40 pm  

This was put together without a proper treatment but it was on the surface what I felt was appropriate. I think I am going to move my campaign towards the priests that were presented in the Spells & Magic option book. I like that and will make things a little easier for me. As we become more familiar with things again (and get more time), I may start branching out into specialty priests more again. I will continue to use specialty priests, just standardize the spell spheres for now (I know, lame, but easier at the moment).

Also, Lanthorn, I am loving the Combat and Tactics. Probably going to avoid the customization of Skills and Powers for a while but do like a lot of the "2.5" rules.

Antho – Travelers & Wards (not sure if major or minor) to protect sailors
    Hiisi – Chaos, War*
    Ilmatar – Law, Numbers, Thought, Time*, Wards
    Kiputytto – Chaos
    Louhi – Law, Thought*, War
    Loviatar – Law
    Mielikki – Time*, Travelers, Wards
    Surma – War
    Tuonetar – Chaos
    Tuoni – Choas, War*
    Ukko – Law, Time*, Wards*
    Untamo – Time
    GreySage

Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:57 pm  

mheaton118 wrote:

Also, Lanthorn, I am loving the Combat and Tactics. Probably going to avoid the customization of Skills and Powers for a while but do like a lot of the "2.5" rules.

Happy Glad to hear that!

-Lanthorn
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:52 pm  

Last edited by BlueWitch on Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:00 am  

Thanks BlueWitch. I will look around. I have issues from about 140 to 190 so I should have it covered.

I appreciate the info.
    GreySage

Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:35 pm  

Let us know what you find out. It would be interesting to see how it stacks up with your own choices...

-Lanthorn
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: