Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Postfest ???- The Draft ***NOW OPEN TO EVERYONE!!!***
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Postfest Forum & Archive
    Postfest ???- The Draft ***NOW OPEN TO EVERYONE!!!***
    Paladin

Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:46 am  

Big C>Sorry for the abrupt disconnect last evening... thunderstorms in the area.... You were saying you hoped something on the herbalist.. and then I lost power and near as I can tell there is no means to "recall" what transpired via Greytalk.

My appologies to all last evening at my unannounced departure.
    GreySage

Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:28 pm  

Sure DLG, we believe you. No, no, no, really, we do! Evil Grin

Okay, Cebrion, I'm taking #2 (Guard House/Jail) and #25 (Residence) as my secondary projects. Put them in "Green", please.

Thank you very much! Cool

Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:10 am  

with the loss of power I did learn something... one can have a battery on the laptop, and a UPS on the server, BUT if the modem is not on the UPS, for some reason one loses connection with the world..... its a conspiracy. I am investigating who is responsible.... Evil Grin
    I WILL NOT BE SILENCED.... MWAHHAAHHAHAHHHHH Evil Grin
    GreySage

Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:54 pm  

Thou hast forgotten . . . I don't speak Greek, err, Geek! I don't speak computer Geek. Wink

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:49 pm  

Mystic-Scholar wrote:

Okay, Cebrion, I'm taking #2 (Guard House/Jail) and #25 (Residence) as my secondary projects. Put them in "Green", please.

#2 (Guard House/Jail) is yours, but #25 (Residence) is already taken. Choose another Secondary Location.

Dark_Lord_Galen wrote:
    Big C>Sorry for the abrupt disconnect last evening... thunderstorms in the area.... You were saying you hoped something on the herbalist.. and then I lost power and near as I can tell there is no means to "recall" what transpired via Greytalk.

My apologies to all last evening at my unannounced departure.

As there are many nature-oriented priests in the area who will no doubt have herbalism skills, try sticking to the more "arcane" principles of herbalism/alchemy. For some reason I left out "Alchemist" from the entry, but it should be there (with more emphasis even). The individual could even be a sage (i.e. the only real local sage; overall a sort of "wise" man...er..."intelligent" man, but NOT a priest; a guy who knows stuff the priests don't, perhaps).

No doubt some people will step on other people's toes in a group project like this, but one should keep in mind that, while an ability like herbalism or alchemy can be mentioned (stat-wise or not), it is easy to give the impression that the herbalist pursues endeavors not already amply covered by any number of other people simply by only mentioning those things that one would think would be the most specific to their character. Call him an Alchemist if you wish. Basically, ask yourself the question, "With there most likely being other herbalists in the community, exactly why do people come to this person at all?" It shouldn't be for healing potions, or draughts that make plants/animals grow well or to not be sick. Stay away from areas like that and you pretty much can't go wrong. Create your own niche for the character (s).

Finally, as a reminder, Secondary Locations are NOT there to made extensions of any Main Locations. Just figured I should mention that, seeing as you chose locations right next to each other. Wink

Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:34 pm  

Cebrion wrote:

Finally, as a reminder, Secondary Locations are NOT there to made extensions of any Main Locations. Just figured I should mention that, seeing as you chose locations right next to each other. Wink

Wow talk about getting singled out..... Shocked Shocked
    LOL seriously....
    I figured it was an opportunity for a "Mrs Cravets" or for you CF hairlings out there... Arabella Figg
    Razz
    Every town needs a busybody neighbor, and what better place to see strange goings on than near the Herbalist Apothecary.... Cool
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:22 am  

What I mean is that a Secondary Location is not meant to be additional property of the Herbalist/Alchemist. What you just described is a Main Location (notable business/NPC) and a Secondary Location (basic village home/NPC with some meat to their background) in exactly the proper format so far as what each type of location is meant to be.

Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:38 am  

So my "Residence" choice could be the home of the Guard Captain?

As an example.

Is Residence #40 still available? It's "black."

Oh! In my description of the Guard House, how many "permanent" Guards does the Village have? Or are allowed?

Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:18 pm  

Yes, but it otherwise can't have anything to do with the Guard House, and #40 is yours.

Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:22 pm  

Excellent!

And the number of "professional" Guardsmen? I'm thinking two, villagers can be used to form a posse, if needed.

Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:03 am  

Check your PMs.

Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:40 am  

Got it! Cool

Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:34 pm  

Somewhere, Ceb finally came up with a name for this village, but I can't find it. Confused Exclamation

What is it again?
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:37 pm  

The name of the village is Wildrun, and it is named for the portion of the Gamboge forest that it is in, and which goes by the same name. So, referring to the village itself, somebody might say, "I visited Wildrun last week.", while somebody speaking of the area might say, "I visited the Wildrun last week."

Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:02 pm  

Whatever happened to Wildrun?

FWIW; critiques from the peanut gallery?

#42: Farmhouse/Pigsty

For the players: You approach a hut, raised on stilts [closer look: poorly maintained], surrounded by a fence. There is a smaller, wood building outside the fence [smokehouse]. The hut is apparently covered with (pig) hides [for protection against fire]. [During the day] a rope ladder is seen leading up to a trapdoor up the center of the hut [the ladder is drawn up and the door barred at night]. Over a dozen swine are seen within the pen [under the hut or outside, as the weather goes].

[During the day, the swineherd [15%] or his stepmother [15%] might be seen tending or training the swine . They might [5% for each] be working in the smokehouse, or in the hut [5% for the swineherd, 75% for his stepmother.]

[During the day, the swineherd e grove alone [55%] or with a random parishioner [3%], and at night, might be out tending or “meditating” [5%].]

1. Swineherd’s House.

15’ x 15’ wooden structure with a wooden roof on 8 legs (11’ high, 4 per corner, and 4 around the trapdoor), with a rope ladder coming, over a fenced in pigsty.

a. Kitchen/Parlor

Long Table and 8 armchairs. Well-stocked fireplace/ oven, including utensils from ceiling.

b. Bedroom (Swineherd)

Doublebed and wardrobe. Chamber bucket.

c. Bedroom (Step-mother)

Doublebed and wardrobe. Chamber bucket.
    d. Storage/Pantry
    Stored goods, spare furniture (including cots and a singlebed broken into its component parts), miscellaneous stored items, barrels filled with water.
    e. Pen (around hut)
    2 boars; 15 sows; 6-15 piglets. One of the sows has (among other pig traits) Follow Scent, and is Trained in Track, Assist Track [Complete Adventurer, p. 100], Hunt [Complete Adventurer, p. 100], Seek, Attack, and Down.
    f. Smokehouse (30 yards to west).
    6’ x 8’ sauna/smokehouse.
    The swineherd wasn’t doing well with his parent’s property until about 10 years ago (even now, it’s a little run down). Then, he shifted from gardening and animal husbandry (for which he has little love) to hunting and foraging. His truffle-hunting forays, with the assistance of his trained sow, have been particularly lucrative, if dangerous [he will be hunting one thing or another 70% of the time; 4% of the time he will be at market]. So far, he has survived his fights with the hostile denizens of the woods. After his father’s death, he has married, and his half-sister married the adept of Phyton (to whom he is indifferent) [visiting 1%]. Those who don’t understand Flann very well might have trouble communicating with him.

Treat him as initially “Friendly” or “Indifferent” to most villagers, and “Indifferent” to everyone else.

If the village needs the services of a tracker, he will proudly spend up to two weeks assisting without charge. For a period over that, or for outsiders:

Helpful Friendly Indifferent
    Per Day of Tracking (with trained pig) 3 sp/day 4 sp/day 1 gp/day

Note: This is for his services as a tracker, not a sniper/infiltrator, for which he would ask the tracking fee, plus a double share (for the pig), assuming that he accepts at all.

He is trying to train additional pigs.

D&D 3: Male human Com1/Sct2 (3,503 XP): HD 1d6; hp 6; AL N; Str 10, Dex 11, Con 11, Int 11, Wis 11, Cha 12. Appearance: 41 yrs., 5ft. 3in., 129lb., wavy near black hair, brown eyes, reddish-brown skin, Com 5. Skills: Climb +1, Handle Animal +5, Profession (Herdsman) +3, Profession (Hunter) +5, Profession (Stockman) +1, Search +1, Survival +5. Languages: Flann (native), Common (basic). Feats: Skill Focus (Survival) [+3]; Track. Traits: Illiterate. Special Abilities: Trapfinding, Skirmish.
    AD&D2: 1st level Thief (162 XP): HD1d6; hp 5; AL N; Str 11, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 11, Com 6. Possible Proficiencies: Light Crossbow, Animal Handling, Tracking, Hunting, Foraging, Handaxe.
    AD&D1: 1st level Thief (162 XP): HD1d6; hp 5; AL N; Str 11, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 11, Wis 11, Cha 12, Com 5. Possible Proficiencies: Light Crossbow, Animal Handling, Tracking, Hunting, Foraging, Handaxe.
    Possessions: Light Crossbow and handaxe; padded or leather armor (by season).
    Post- CY 577: At the end of CY 588, the swineherd’s old trained pig will die, but will have been replaced with two others. At the end of CY 591, one of the legs of the hut will break in the middle of the night, collapsing the hut in the middle of the night. No one will be killed, but it will take a while to rebuild, even with the neighbors’ help. A Craft (Carpentry) DC of 20 within one month of the collapse will notice the flaw, DC 15 within 24 hours. Neither the swineherd, his step-mother, nor any regular visitors will note the flaw before the collapse. If a PC does, the swineherd’s attitude improves one category, if the PCs help, it improves by two categories.

The swineherd’s stepmother’s husband passed away three years ago. She is the mother of the wife of the priest of Phyton. She generally stays inside nowadays, cooking and cleaning [5% at market].

D&D3X: Female human Com2 (1,699 XP): HD 2d4+0; hp 2; AL N; Str 4, Dex 8 , Con 9, Int 12, Wis 12 Cha 13 Appearance: 5ft. 1in., 130lb., 62 yrs., wavy near black (graying) hair, light brown eyes, very dark reddish-tan skin, Com 5. Skills: Clib +3 –Str = +0, Heal (non-class) +1 +Wis = +2, Profession (Cook) +5 + Wis + SF = +9, Profession (Seamstress) +4 + Wis = +5, Profession (Stockman) +5 + Wis = +6. Languages: Flann (native), Common (basic). Feats: Lt. Crossbow, Skill Focus (Cook) [+3], Great Fortitude. Traits: Illiterate* [*D&D 3.5 UA, p. 88].
    AD&D2: 0 level Woman? (+ 343 XP): HD 1d4+0; hp 2; AL N; Str 5, Dex 9 , Con 10, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 11, Com 6. Possible Proficiencies: Light Crossbow, Cook, Animal Husbandry.
    AD&D1: 0 level Woman? ( +343 XP): HD 1d4+0; hp 2; AL N; Str 5, Dex 9 , Con 11, Int 11, Wis 12, Cha 11, Com 5. Possible Proficiencies/Skills: Light Crossbow, Cook, Animal Husbandry.
    Post- CY 577: She will be hurt badly (i.e., temporarily reduced below 0 hit points during the hut collapse in CY 591, but will survive at least until after the new year.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:50 pm  

I meant to post this late Thursday night, but I slept instead. Happy

I lost my Postfest file. Working versions of the map? Gone. More importantly, all of the text I had organized and written was lost. Anyways, I fortunately still had the "finished" map (which is hosted on dropbox), and over the last few weeks I have been in the process of going through the various threads and recompiling all of the information I formerly had. At this point, I only have about six pages of notes to go through. As usual, I just need to stick to finishing writing what is needed, and not get sidetracked by new ideas I think of along the way. Razz

Last edited by Cebrion on Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Paladin

Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:08 am  

All good Ceb.... we have all been there on PC glitches......
    Thanks James for the the Thread bump & the structuring for various offshoot editions...... will be re-visiting mine to better frame out "usurping" your style. Evil Grin
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:37 am  

Bump? Question
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:36 am  

We'll be going back to a simpler format for the next Postfest instead of pursuing this one at the moment. So this topic will be continuing to take a bit of a nap (but not a dirt nap). Laughing Expect an interim Postfest announcement sometime after tax season is over and done with (in the U.S that is). Until then...

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: