JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Suel Names
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Suel Names
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:18 pm  
    Suel Names

Hi! I have idea for cool evil half-elf bounty huntress as villian for two of mine PCs. Only the logicial for her would be some female Suel name, as her mother is/was(???) Scarlet Brotherhood citizen that had romance with wrong elf in years before. So where to looks for name specific for human "subraces" of Flaeness?
    GreySage

Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:18 pm  

The Scarlet Brotherhood supplement has a guide of English to Suel (and vice versa) words that may be of interest, if you can get a hold of it.

Otherwise, I have often flipped through our old Baby Book (yes, you read that correctly! Wink ) for names, regardless of human subrace. I find that names from the Scandinavian group tend to make good Suel (barbarian especially) names. Happy

-Lanthorn, NameMaster
    GreySage

Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:49 pm  

Find a word translator on the internet. Pick a language and type in the word in your language that you want. See what word it gives back. German sounds barbaric, to me. I like to use Old English (same Germanic source), too. Spanish, Portuguese, French, and Italian sound magical, since they are derivatives of Latin (Romance Languages). Latin, itself, is great for magical place/item/spell names. Celtic, Scandinavian (Baltic), and Slavic each have distinct language roots.

SirXaris

Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:28 pm  

Some very talented mad made a deep research on the language and sound of Greyhawk languages and came up with an astonishing software called EbON. Look for it on the Internet, I bought the paid version, it's just too great.
    It also has regional name generation for all the states of the Flanaess.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:28 am  

I'll second the Everchanging Book of Names. I usually have to pick through the generated list of name to find something that feels appropriate for me, but it does a pretty good job.
    Master Greytalker

Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:45 pm  

I gotta say the Everchanging Book of Names is a really cool little program. Thanks, Smillian for linking it directly. I'll admit to being a little confused as to what "EBoN" was, but, when I saw the name spelled out, I knew it sounded like a pretty cool idea.
    Even just getting the free version that has a few annoying limitations, it's a great little program, especially if you DL all the addon files for different places and nationalities and whatnot. I especially like the fact that the Greyhawk set of generator chapters isn't one that is limited.
    Pretty keen, man.
    4 1/2 stars, at least.
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: