Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - How do you pronounce "-123 CY"?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    How do you pronounce "-123 CY"?
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat May 04, 2013 11:34 am  

Silly question but since I am not a native english speaker I usually pronounce this in Italian "meno centoventitrč anno comune" but I was curious to hear how this is supposed to be pronounced. "onehundredtwentythree pre-common year" or "minus onehundredtwentythree common year"?

I am still struggling with Iuz being pronounced "Eye-ooze" instead of "Eeoozz" :)
    GreySage

Sat May 04, 2013 12:10 pm  
    Re: How do you pronounce "-123 CY"?

MToscan wrote:

I am still struggling with Iuz being pronounced "Eye-ooze" instead of "Eeoozz" :)

"Eye-ooze" and "Yooze" are equally acceptable. I forget where I saw it, but I dimly recall that both pronunciations are fine.

-Lanthorn
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat May 04, 2013 12:54 pm  

I would say that the proper way to say and write would be this:
    One hundred and twenty-three before Common Year.

Please note that the Common Year is not plural. 1 CY is the* Common Year. The calculation just continues from there, adding one year to another, but it's never "AFTER the Common Year", for the sake of simplicity.

I'm not a native speaker, but this is how I would say and I'm certain it would be clear to anyone who speaks English at almost any level. If the people who speak English as their first language wish to correct me, feel free to do so, please Smile

*I think the real question is, why Common Year doesn't use definite article? I'm a bit too tired to think about this right now...
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat May 04, 2013 2:17 pm  

I think any of the ways people have suggested are fine. I'm lazy, so I tend to say "minus one twenty three common year," although actually I usually just say CY instead of Common Year. If I was being fancy, in-game, having an NPC speak I'd probably say "In the one hundred and twenty-third year before the Common Year." Meno centoventitrč anno comune sounds way cooler than any of those. Smile
    GreySage

Sat May 04, 2013 5:23 pm  

I say "negative one hundred and twenty-three CY" or "one hundred and twenty-three BCY" (for Before Common Year, though I'd just use the letters).

Sutemi wrote:
    *I think the real question is, why Common Year doesn't use definite article? I'm a bit too tired to think about this right now...

Because we're imitating the way we speak using the real world Gregorian calendar. Something that happened 123 years before 1 AD would be "one hundred and twenty-three BC." At least, that's how I say it; we don't typically say "Before Christ" and obviously we wouldn't say "the Before Christ." It's always just BC (or BCE, or AD, or CE depending on whether it's in the common era/after Anno Domini or not). If I did pronounce every word instead of using the letters, I'd probably say "before the common year" (as Smillan suggested) just as I'd say "before the common era" if I were pronouncing each word in the CE system. So, basically, BCY could have a definite article if you were saying all the words, but it's just BCY if you're only using the letters. I'd say the definite article is optional, though; the calendar's just called CY, so you could totally just say "Common Year" and no one would look at you funny.

Anyway, the rule of thumb in contemporary American English as I've always used it is just that you say the date (with "negative" to indicate you're using negative numbers; I guess you could say "minus," but that's not how I learned it in math class) with the abbreviated form of the calendar you're using. You don't have to use the word "and" in "one hundred and twenty three," and I believe that's actually frowned upon by mathematicians, but it's what I always do.

Last edited by rasgon on Sat May 04, 2013 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Adept Greytalker

Sat May 04, 2013 6:01 pm  

Quote:

I pronounce -123 CY as "522 O.R.". Basically, Common Year is not used for events predating the year one, the prevailing system for recording dates in the Oeridian dominated parts of the Flanaess until that time is O.R. since it would be found in all contemporary records and there is no year 0 in the Common Year (or in any of the other calendars for that matter) making O.R. the system of choice when referring to anything before Overking Nasren's declaration of the Pax Aerdy. [/code]
    GreySage

Sat May 04, 2013 6:04 pm  

Tarelton is correct, from the perspective of a character living in the Flanaess; there is no "BCY" calendar in-character, and I'm not even certain if mathematicians in the Flanaess have the concept of negative numbers yet.

We do use negative CY numbers a lot from an out-of-character perspective since it's easier than switching up calendars all the time, though.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat May 04, 2013 9:25 pm  

Interesting Tarelton & Rasgon... I think I will use "before common year" with my NPCs, simply because I'm too simple to use two different calendars in our fast-flowing game sessions. I will explain the method Tarelton suggested to my players, but I'm sure that they will not want to use it Laughing
    GreySage

Sat May 04, 2013 10:59 pm  

rasgon wrote:
    ...You don't have to use the word "and" in "one hundred and twenty three," and I believe that's actually frowned upon by mathematicians, but it's what I always do.

As an editor, I feel compelled to second this point from Rasgon.

In American English, we do not, correctly, include the word 'and' between the hundreds and the tens when saying our numbers. '123' is correctly spoken as "One hundred, twenty three." '2,456' is spoken as "Two thousand, four hundred, fifty six." Commonly, people do include the 'and', but people also commonly say 'probly' when they mean 'probably'. Wink

This is different than Spanish where 'y' ('and') is specifically included before the ones: '123' = "Ciento, venta y treis."

SirXaris

Sun May 05, 2013 12:31 am  

SirXaris wrote:
    rasgon wrote:
    ...You don't have to use the word "and" in "one hundred and twenty three," and I believe that's actually frowned upon by mathematicians, but it's what I always do.

In American English, we do not, correctly, include the word 'and' between the hundreds and the tens when saying our numbers. '123' is correctly spoken as "One hundred, twenty three." '2,456' is spoken as "Two thousand, four hundred, fifty six." Commonly, people do include the 'and', but people also commonly say 'probly' when they mean 'probably'. Wink

This is different than Spanish where 'y' ('and') is specifically included before the ones: '123' = "Ciento, venta y treis."

SirXaris

In written text, I would say that this is purely a style issue. Chicago Manual style prefers to omit "and" but acknowledge that some writers add it. Source: http://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/qanda/data/faq/topics/Numbers/faq0006.html

I've been taught to add it. If I participated in an English exam here and didn't use "and" when writing out large numbers, points would be deducted.

Actually I had to make a gentlemen's agreement with my teacher just to be allowed to use hyphens in fractions! I think you guys would suffer here a LOT if you had to take our exams, haha

Last edited by Sutemi on Mon May 06, 2013 5:44 am; edited 1 time in total
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun May 05, 2013 12:54 am  

SirXaris wrote:
    rasgon wrote:

SirXaris

Whilst I don't know about mathematicians here, the 'and' is commonly used in British English (or just English as we tend to call it Wink) so I suppose which a tutor deemed correct would depend where they learned their own English.

On the original topic, though, I would have thought "One hundred (and) twenty three years before the Common Year" or any of the variations on this above would be how I would say it.
    GreySage

Sun May 05, 2013 12:26 pm  

Lanthorn wrote:
    "Eye-ooze" and "Yooze" are equally acceptable. I forget where I saw it, but I dimly recall that both pronunciations are fine.

In the computer game Temple of Elemental Evil, the characters speak and you can hear how certain names and words are pronounced:

Iuz = Eye-ooz.

Oerth = O-earth.

Furyondy = Fur-yon-dee.

Also of note, in the Real World, the correct wording is: b.C.E., or "before the Common Era." Today, we live in the 2,013 year of the "Common Era." The "A.D." is a Catholic Church thing and is incorrect, as is the term "before Christ." Any decent encyclopedia will tell you that Jesus Christ was born in the year 2 .b.C.E. The modern calender is not based upon the year of his birth.

Also, there is no "0" year. It was 1 b.C.E. and then became 1 C.E. From the beginning of the year 1 b.C.E. until the end of the year 1 C.E. was a two year period of time, not three years. There is no "0" year.

Sun May 05, 2013 1:45 pm  

SirXaris wrote:
    Commonly, people do include the 'and', but people also commonly say 'probly' when they mean 'probably'. Wink

Uh, I thought it was written "prolly" :)
    GreySage

Sun May 05, 2013 8:29 pm  

MToscan wrote:
    SirXaris wrote:
    Commonly, people do include the 'and', but people also commonly say 'probly' when they mean 'probably'. Wink

Uh, I thought it was written "prolly" :)

Yep, that too. Smile

SirXaris

Mon May 06, 2013 5:36 am  

I am definitely amongst those who would say:
    "One Hundred twenty-three years before the common era".
    My personal opinion on the "and" ... I don't care how it's commonly used, people say things that are incorrect all the time. And professors that are giving exams aren't necessarily correct. There's been a time or two in my day where I had to point out to a professor that they weren't necessarily right. (But, a "gentleman's agreement" is always the best way to go.)

Now that I think about it, there's another way to say the date.
    "one twenty-three, B.C.Y."
    That's probably the most likely thing that I would say. I know technically it was asked "-123 CY" and not "123 BCY", but, I think that's even how I'd write it if I were submitting something to CF or even something published.
    Owner and Lead Admin: https://greyhawkonline.com<div>Editor-in-Chief of the Oerth Journal: https://greyhawkonline.com/oerthjournal</div><div>Visit my professional art gallery: https://wkristophnolen.daportfolio.com</div>
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed May 15, 2013 6:03 pm  

It's spelt -123 CY, but it's pronounced "Throat Warbler Mangrove."
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:27 pm  

I've been away from these boards too long! :D
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: