ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Kord & His Clergy
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition
    Kord & His Clergy
    GreySage

Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:12 pm  
    Kord & His Clergy

Greetings All,

I have recently added a cleric of Kord to my NPC retinue in one of my campaigns. I have both From the Ashes and The Scarlet Brotherhood accessories, and each of them offers some differing perspectives with respect to Kord's clerics and the Spheres upon which they may draw divine power:

FtA: All, Combat, Creation*, Healing*, Summoning, War*, Weather*

TSB: All, Chaos*, Combat, Creation*, Divination*, Healing, Protection*, Travelers*

I've already picked what Spheres I think are most appropriate, but I am always open to outside advice and consider you all a good sounding board. I am somewhat frustrated that Kord doesn't have more Major Access to Spheres given that he is an Intermediate Power (in some 1e texts or articles from Dragon Magazine he is recorded as a Major Power!). Confused

I have also perused the descriptions about Kord and his clergy from whatever other sources I have unearthed, scant as they are, but not are terribly helpful, I daresay.

I am in complete agreement that he should have Major Access to the Combat Sphere. However, as he is NOT a warmonger with dreams of conquest, I disagree with the Minor Access to War.

I like his Minor Access to Chaos (fits in with a berserking personality), and I can even see some justification for Minor Access in Creation, as it grants one the divine ability to provide food and water (and also magical light, if you allow, depending on what sourceguide you use). I am also OK with a Minor Access to Protection...even though FtA claims he has no 'protective aspect' I regard this in terms of protecting people and the like rather than combat-oriented, wilderness-roaming, rugged priests. To this end, I can also accept a Minor Access in Travelers as the clergy meanders the wilds, accepting one challenge to the next.

I remain skeptical, though, to a Minor Access to Weather, as Kord doesn't strike me as harnessing the various elemental forces, weather included (for this same reason, note the total lack of Elemental spheres). I wonder if this was to give him a "Thor-like" image... I also am not 'sold' on the notion to grant him use to any Divination magic, either.

I prefer the Major Access to Healing, given that his priests are constantly placed in harm's way.

I definitely don't think Kord is the type to summon forth beasts to do his bidding, either, like Erythnul or Trithereon. As a result, I don't agree with Major Summoning powers, BUT I do see the justification for Minor Access to this Sphere since spells under this category mainly affect only the priest and his/her ability to enhance himself/herself (Call Upon Faith and Draw Upon Holy Might), something QUITE useful for great feats of strength, agility, fortitude, and even battle.

In short, I am still at a bit of a crossroads. I am interested to hear what you all may have done in your own games with Kord's clergy and the Spheres you have chosen.

appreciatively,

Lanthorn
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:20 am  

Hey Lanthorn - this is what I have for Kord at the moment (although I haven't revised this to take into accound the changes tot he spheres made in Skills & Magic yet);

Kord (Intermediate)
    Athletics, Sport, Brawling, Strength, Courage & Pioneers
    AB Str 16, Con 15;
    AL CG, CN;
    WP any;
    AR any metal;
    RA red with white trappings;
    SP All, Chaos*, Charm, Combat, Creation, Healing, Protection, Summoning*, Travellers*, War*;
    SPL detect lawful, protection from lawful;
    PW 1) +2 saves vs. fear; 4) strength or enlarge (W2) 1/day; 5) protection from normal missiles (W3) 1/day; 7) +2 to saving throws versus spells cast by lawful-aligned enemies; 9) may use Elemental (earth) spells;
    TU nil

I once read some material (I forget the source) that gave Kord a connection with pioneers which I thought added a nice dimension to him.
    GreySage

Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:34 am  

Wolfling, thanks for your input. What was your source (seems close to From the Ashes)? Or did you kitbash your own Spheres together?

-Lanthorn
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:07 am  

I based the sphere selection on what I thought made sense really - the existing source material was more of a loose guide
    Master Greytalker

Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:49 pm  

With my party playing around in the old Suel area, I'm playing wth changing Kord a bit. Well, since I've been bringing in a lot of Melnibonian stuff for the ancient Suel, it seems only natural to bring out Arioch as his father. Of course, it's not totally revealed, or even worked out, but even their symbols help forge the link. Anyway, still playing with it all. We'll see how it turns out.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:50 pm  

My Kord write-up is located HERE.

Kord very much is a god of war that goes berserk and chops stuff in half with a giant sword!!! Shocked Laughing

Accordingly he is the #1 god of choice of Suel warriors, who are all about the chopping, and the back breaking, and the eye gouging, and the fisticuffs, and the so on. The war sphere suits him perfectly well, for he is very much the Suel god of war. Kord is the closest thing to Ares in the Suel pantheon- he's a brutal warrior god.

Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:04 am  

Ceb, thanks for that hyperlink to your write-up on Kord.

The cleric in my game is a berserker priest, but I really dislike the Complete Book of Priests (by far, the 'weakest' of the series, in my opinion) and altered most of the kits to some degree or another. I treat the berserker cleric much like the berserker fighter (from the Complete Book of Fighters), with all the benefits AND flaws for 'going nuts.' Happy

Although I understand that each reference, and thus, author (for instance, From the Ashes vs. The Scarlet Brotherhood) has a different 'take' on the various Powers, I still find it ...annoying... at times with the lack of continuity between resources. Confused

I have a semi-related question with respect to barbarians, but will post that in a separate thread. I hope you all will check that out, too:

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=60112#60112

thanks to everyone for posting, and more input always welcome,

-Lanthorn
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:44 pm  

Lanthorn wrote:
    Although I understand that each reference, and thus, author (for instance, From the Ashes vs. The Scarlet Brotherhood) has a different 'take' on the various Powers, I still find it ...annoying... at times with the lack of continuity between resources. Confused

Tell me about it. rolleyes Razz
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: