JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - N1: Against the Cult of the Reptile God
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    N1: Against the Cult of the Reptile God
    CF Admin

Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:51 am  
    N1: Against the Cult of the Reptile God

I was just perusing thru this... is there not a map for the dungeon in this module?

Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:40 am  
    Dungeon maps

Yes, there are maps to the dungeons of the Reptile God.

In the original module, they were in the middle of the module. The pages were not numbered, so if you got a download as opposed to the original module, I do not know where they would place them. However, if you got the module used, because the pages were not numbered, it would not be obvious if the maps were removed.

Note: on the pages opposite of the dungeon maps are maps to the Temple of Merikka, the Golden Grain Inn, and the Inn of the Slumbering Serpent.

O-D
    Apprentice Greytalker

Wed Sep 08, 2004 8:56 pm  

I love this adventure.

There should be maps as described in the previous post.
    Forum Moderator

Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:23 pm  

Damn that is one I haven't collected yet. Hrm. Mad
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:58 am  

You really should give it a look-see, Mort.

I'm a sucker for adventures that feature a village. Especially when there's a well done map of the village and a workable (read as decent, if not great) description.

The adventure isn't perfect, as it does place a key role for successfully resolving the mystery in the hands of an NPC. However, having DMed the adventure twice, that facet didn't seem to impede the players' enjoyment at all.

Hehehe...We still get a kick remembering the Ranger/Falconer who asked the sheriff to watch his falcon whilst he "investigated the mystery of Orlane." Upon his return, he was invited to join them for a loverly 'chicken' dinner..."That was delicious. Say, where's my falcon?"
    That stopped our game for a good ten minutes...lol.
    Forum Moderator

Sat Sep 11, 2004 12:33 am  

Yeah I'll get it someday. I go through periods where I look for OOP game stuff, it just depends on if I have nothing better to buy.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Sep 12, 2004 2:15 am  

It is a very good adventure module.

God knows how it wound up as the first module in the N for Novice series though. IMO it involves a well above average amount of roleplaying and detective work. There is little traditional hack and slack until the swamp dungeon is reached. It is not IMO suitable for Novice players.

I've run it twice as DM and seen even experienced players have trouble along the way. I imagine it would be a challenge for an inexperienced DM to run.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:02 am  

True, it isn't an easy module. I think, though, that the challenge is not out of line for novice players or DMs. I've met players who have considerable experience with D&D who would have great difficulty with the mystery of Orlane.

Certainly, any group of players that completes the adventure successfully will be an improved group.
    CF Admin

Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:57 am  

hmm, sucks.. no maps for me. Sad
    Adept Greytalker

Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:07 am  
    Reptile God memories

I definitely agree with the above posters that this adventure is very challenging. It is especially tough for novice DMs to manage the the workload. There is a lot of NPC interaction that needs to be played, the actions of the cult needs to be kept track of, and a lot of judgement is required to move the adventure along.

Having said all that, this adventure was the first one I ran as a DM, and the first adventure my players went though as newbies. With our combined inexperience, the adventure required a lot of suspension of disbelief and fudging to get through it. But we did triumph in the end and were all the better for it.

O-D
    Master Greytalker

Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:41 pm  

Like others, I dislike the reliance on an NPC for success. I also intensely dislike the sexual themes, particularly the sexual abuse. I felt it was inappropriate without some sort of caution.
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:37 am  

Quote:
    I also intensely dislike the sexual themes, particularly the sexual abuse. I felt it was inappropriate without some sort of caution.
    then don't use it... I personaly never found anything all that offensive about the module... of course I like a more mature game anyway, it seems more realistic to me.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:03 pm  
    Another great first module...

...is U1 :Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh.

It will teach players that not everything is as it seems, that there is a grain of truth in many rumors, to actually use your senses and your brain, and to think about the consequences of your actions before attacking everything you see.

That, and it will remind you why Rot Grubs are to be feared!

Telas
    Master Greytalker

Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:26 pm  

It is not an issue of using or not using it. I feature numerous adult themes in my games as well. My last story arc was filled with it. What remains is that the particular theme in that module is something I feel to be excessive even by those standards. I neither require, expect, or suggest that anyone else feel the same way, remove the encounter, refuse to play the module because of it, or denounce it to all sundry.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: