Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Pathfinder vs D&D core rules. Starting a new campaign.
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 3.0e/3.5e/d20/Pathfinder
    Pathfinder vs D&D core rules. Starting a new campaign.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:10 pm  
    Pathfinder vs D&D core rules. Starting a new campaign.

Hey all -

It's been years since I've run a D&D campaign. I would like to start again. Unfortunately none of my old mates would like to play again; they live too far away. As a result I am going to use meetup.com as a means of trying to dig up at least two players, or more.

My question is, what rules system would attract the most amount of players? I intend to incorporate Greyhawk as part of the "worlds" I intend to play.

Thanks - Otter.

Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:07 pm  

Well Pathfinder is an upgrade over 3.5 in my opinion, and in my area it's the predominant game that I can find at least.

Whereabouts are you located?

Pathfinder simplifies skills quite a bit, while still keeping the 3.5 feel, it tends to punish people who multi-class a little bit, but that's how it should be. If the multi-class is done correctly then it works, for instance in one campaign I am running a Rogue/Wizard/Arcane Trickster (3/3/3 currently) and I can definitely feel the pain of multi-classing, at the same time my character is very capable and able to hold his own in combat and such, but missing the favored class bonus (extra hit point/skill point/specialized bonus) per level but in this case it seems to work just fine.

At the same time, the focus on keeping one class is very helpful to newcomers. All in all I enjoy the pathfinder rules much more than the 3.5 rules, and if I were re-entering the gaming world I would go with that.

That being said, I am a big fan of the new DnD Next game coming up and in my area (San Antonio, TX) People have started Greyhawk Reborn, utilizing these rules it is a rebirth of the great Living Greyhawk campaign, might be worth looking into.
    GreySage

Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:43 pm  

I will second Noah_Atreides's vote for Pathfinder rules over 3.5e. The Pathfinder rules tweaked most of the 3.5e rules to make them work better.

Perhaps more importantly, however, Pathfinder is a rules system currently supported with new adventures and other options (by Paizo and several other 3rd Party Publishers). Nothing new for 3.5e will be published except by fans (see the Canonfire! Chronicles, for example), though there may be a few 3PPs out there writing 3.5e stuff.

SirXaris

Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:52 am  

Thank you both for the great information. I didn't know about D&D Next. I took a quick look, seems interesting. I think I will go with Pathfinder for now and see how the coming Next looks. Thanks again. :)

Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:07 pm  

There's always converting to 2e ( hehe there beat Lanthorn to it!!)
    seriously, can't get much more "core" than that..... and the books are usually 1/2 the price Laughing Wink
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 3.0e/3.5e/d20/Pathfinder All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: