Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Hmmm
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Welcome to Greyhawk!
    Hmmm
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:37 pm  
    Hmmm

*firenice pokes her head in, looks around, and gets comfy*

Now this I can get into. As a newbie to everything (gaming, setting, etc.), this forum can be a lot of help to me and others of the same ilk. I have often not wanted to post comments on the regular boards, for most people have experience there that is unrivaled. My fear of looking stupid sometimes outweighs my want to acquire knowledge. I am fortunate in having people around me to answer my questions. Some others may not. So I look forward to posting in here the many many questions that I will probably have!

Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:25 pm  

I wouldnt worry too much, i'm a newb at all this greyhawk stuff as well, and i too feel embarrased that i may look like an idiot becuase i know such a miniscule amount compared to everyone else on the boards.
    Your not alone Happy
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:24 pm  

Newbness is relative.

My first Greyhawk purchase was the old, old Greyhawk booklet for original D&D. I've been in it since the start...

BUT

I still feel like a newb sometimes because I stopped buying D&D stuff shortly after 3rd Edition came out and I never joined in with Living Greyhawk.

So, most of the new developments have me quietly in my corner, shaking my head and going "Huh?" or "WTF?"...

In the end, we have a great resource here and we should use it and abuse it Happy
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:25 pm  
    Newbieness

I agree with esilv: Newbieness is in the eye of the beholder.

I have been playing and DMing the game since the early 80's. Greyhawk has always been my one and only published world to use, and I would scoop up any GH title as soon as it would be released. From all those years, my library of GH materials is pretty well stocked. So I am no stranger to the basic world.

That being said, for the past few years, I have been out of it (being out of the country etc.) and I find myself a computer novice (at least when compared to the average web surfer nowadays). I am stuck on 2nd edition D&D (too cheap to spend the money to get all new resources), so I just fudge any 3e references. And putting stuff out on the web was a daunting experience for me at first.

Slowly, I think I have found a niche here. I can find answers to some obscure questions with some of the "Grey Sages", but every now and then feel that I am lost with all the latest innovations with the new edition.

So, long story short, the people on this site has been good to me, and it can be good for you as well. So if you are feeling a bit of trepidation by sticking your neck out, don't let it bother you. The site is filled with all kinds of stuff from the "strictly canon" to home brewed heresies.

Great to have you on board, drop off some of your ideas when you have the chance.

Osmund-Davizid
    CF Admin

Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:42 pm  

Everyone's a newbie sometime, and there's no such thing as a dumb question ....

Welcome to the boards everyone :D

Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:20 am  

Being a newbie is great. If you will notice, the old timers (me included) are probably as lost as often as not. GH is a fantasy world, there is no right and wrong. No body dies if we mess it up.

My wife just started playing D&D after years of making fun, first of her brother, then me. Then a friend convinced her to play "just one time." We have been playing weekly for two years. And she is the best roleplayer that I, or any others in the group have ever seen.

Her lack of experiance gives her intresting new perspectives on things that the old pros "solved," long ago. So, being a newbie can be a great.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:24 am  

I agree with the perspective thing Anced. And also congrats on your wife enjoying the gaming experience. :) I do tend to slow things down just a tiny bit with my questions, but they are never too bad or no one ever has a problem with providing an explanation. I do tend to jump in and ask why so and so is like this or that, and when i get the standard reply of 'just because' i argue. It forces them to explain it in more depth, instead of taking for granted the fact that the other gamers know what's going on, and also cause it's fun! ;) But seriously, I do see everything with a fresh tint. It's just so shiny and new!

Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:46 am  
    Re: Hmmm

firenice wrote:
    *firenice pokes her head in, looks around, and gets comfy*

Now this I can get into. As a newbie to everything (gaming, setting, etc.), this forum can be a lot of help to me and others of the same ilk.

Oh, so you're an Ilk. That explains a lot. Wink

Welcome to gaming, D&D, Greyhawk, and Canonfire. Don't let your fear of sounding dumb keep you from asking questions. We've all been newbies once upon a time, and the folks here are kind enough to share the wealth of knowledge they have.

Telas
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:45 pm  

Well, I have to admit I am a Greyhawk Newb as well. I have played in other worlds but I have heard so much about Greyhawk I had to check it out. I have the 1980 folio and the LGG both are well done and I have had some great ideas for the setting. Currently I am planning both a 3e game and Castles and Crusades game set in Greyhawk and am hoping to learn more about the setting.

Julian<div><br /></div><div><br /></div>
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:12 pm  

Hi!

Newbies can always bring fresh ideas about old subjects and even if the same questions are made over and over again, the Grey Sages are always eager to answer them.

Saludos!
    Gabriel

Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:53 am  

Welcome aboard!

For the most part CF exists to serve as a place for discussion of things Greyhawk and editions aside its a pretty freindly place to meet new and old hands to the setting. As for learning more about GH there probably is no better place to start than the Greychrondex for timelines and for fun Zagygs bag of links..err I mean Wonders. Also check out Greytalk or if you have an mIRC client join in there.

Sun May 07, 2006 12:51 am  

Skelfer_Ard wrote:
    I wouldnt worry too much, i'm a newb at all this greyhawk stuff as well, and i too feel embarrased that i may look like an idiot becuase i know such a miniscule amount compared to everyone else on the boards.
    Your not alone Happy

Skelfer Ard? Fellow Blackmoorian? Smile
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: