JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Antimagic Shell
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition
    Antimagic Shell
    GreySage

Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:16 pm  
    Antimagic Shell

If a wizard casts this spell, is he/she then unable to cast spells outside this invisible barrier?

If so, what is the real benefit to the caster since he is now, basically, defenseless and absolutely magically impotent?

Shocked Sad Confused Cry Wink

-Lanthorn
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:24 am  

The spell can keep out certain things that can wreck a wizard. It can also protect other party members who are within the shell, and who will often be able to attack out of it to full effect (especially with missile weapons, which will regain any magic they have once they have let the confines of the shell). It is a very limited use spell, but in certain situations it can keep many PCs alive.

So, when could the spell be used?

* A flock of harpies wanting to charm you and rip you to bloody bits while you are enraptured.

* A group of enemy wizards/spellcasters that could easily overwhelm the caster/PCs with massed magic, but that will be relatively impotent if their capacity to attack via magic is negated.

* A greater demon that wants nothing more than to rip your wizard's head off and drink his blood/soul.

* The breath of an ancient (insert color here) dragon doing fly-by breath attacks; the spell can protect the entire party from if they huddle close.

* If your other PCs have been held or otherwise magically incapacitated (magically paralyzed, bundled up by a rope of entanglement, etc.), this spell will nullify those effects for as long as the affected individuals remain within the shell (i.e., who do you think will be more beneficial to have fully active- the one wizard able to cast spells, or maybe two fighters and a cleric able to kill the stuff that will chop your wizard up without them anyways?).

...I could go on, but yes, the usefulness of the spell is extremely situational. If I were fairly sure of my wizard encountering a dragon of some kind, I would definitely have an anti-magic shell spell prepared. Also, the spell is much more functional in 1E with regards to multi-classed fighter/magic-users, who could cast this spell and then wade into melee against magic-using opponents not as skilled in melee as they are. In 2E, a fighter/magic-user Bladesinger could make the best use of this spell if cast, while its best overall use would be by a pure fighter using it from a ring of spell storing, and who then could plow through a group of magic-using foes without fear of being magically attacked while doing so.

Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:13 pm  

Ok, you pretty much confirmed my suspicions about the pros and cons of the spell.

thanks

Lanthorn
    Master Greytalker

Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:51 am  

This isn't exactly about an anti-magic shell, as much as it is a Scroll of Protection from Magic.

In my Campaign, when the party was facing the leaders of the Temple of the Elder Elemental God, the battlerager Gotrek read such a scroll right before the fight began. This turned out to be pretty deadly to the temple priests. They had no defense against a raging dwarf which was immune to their magic, both offensive and defensive.

I think my favorite part was when a priestess used Meld into Stone to escape him. As soon as he moved up to the pillar into which she had crawled, his protection cancelled her spell, expelling her violently from the pillar. Unfortunately, when she tried to ask for mercy, he just went berserk, with predictable results.

I think this was the only time such a combination ever really happened, and it was kinda cool to see. Here's a link, if you want to see what happened.

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=62486#62486
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:43 pm  

That's why bad guys should always keep around a few "Hit only by +1 or better magical weapon" minions. Wink
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: