JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Protection versus Evil Spell
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition
    Protection versus Evil Spell
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:52 pm  
    Protection versus Evil Spell

After running through the original Tomb of Horrors again recently (converted to 2nd edition), I started thinking about how a Protection versus Evil spell would hold up against the soul draining ability of a Demi-Lich. What's the consensus on whether the spell would prevent a Demi-Lich from draining the soul of a Wizard so protected?
    GreySage

Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:42 am  

Protection from Evil doesn't protect the warded individual from ranged or spell attacks from evil creatures. I see no reason why supernatural magical effects, such as the soul-draining ability of a demi-lich would be excluded from that list.

As a result, the only boon that spell will grant to the warded individual is a +2 bonus to their saving throw against it.

Unless, of course, you, as the DM, choose to give the spell more power. Wink

SirXaris

Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:27 pm  

If you consider the Soul-draining ability of the Demi-Lich to be akin to a ghost's ability to Magic Jar (and the wizard spell of the same name), then Protection vs Evil would work, as noted in the spell description.

-Lanthorn
    Master Greytalker

Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:28 pm  

I was using a different version of Protection from Evil. The spell description mention two possible components, a magic circle of holy water (I think) and incense. So I started doing the following. If you make a magic circle, it stays in place; however, if you have a censer you can swing it around you and the protection moves with you. Works the same with 10' radius spell. It actually was working ok, but I eventually dropped it since it was a bit problematic with my PBF game. Still, it made for interesting choices when they wanted to use the spell.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:11 pm  

Lanthorn,

I was thinking along the same lines as you and Magic Jar spell came to mind as well. If Protection versus Evil prevents a Vampire's charm from working and prevents a Ghost from taking over a character, then I think it would also prevent soul draining.
    GreySage

Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:56 pm  

xo42 wrote:
    Lanthorn,

I was thinking along the same lines as you and Magic Jar spell came to mind as well. If Protection versus Evil prevents a Vampire's charm from working and prevents a Ghost from taking over a character, then I think it would also prevent soul draining.

I would tend to lean towards that ruling as well. Ultimately, it is always a DM's prerogative. In such cases where there may be a grey zone, I try to make a point to inform my players so there is no ambiguity and so they know my perspective, in case it influences PC (and NPC) actions.

-Lanthorn
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: