#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Dwellers of the Forbidden City
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Campaign Journals & General Online Play
    Dwellers of the Forbidden City
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:43 pm  

Southar counters Tanin, “Instead of rest, we need to find the elf and get back to Neras. Escaping before the storm breaks would help the stealth. Are there any among us that can yet heal?”

Grimlock looks among the fallen Yuan-ti and then moves to Hairycheeks while speaking towards Breymeer and Ide Otneaux, “If you two would have listened as the others did, Hairy would still be alive. The others managed to listen. You were told not to attack the last snake man. He was helping us not by his choice but of mine. Ide, as powerful your axe is against the enemy, it has proven to cut both ways because you simply did not listen. Hairy is dead because three failed to listen. THAT'S IT!!!! Accept your part in this to assure us it will not happen again!” Grimlock removes Hairycheeks pounch of herbs and healing ointments, “We may yet find a way to use this.”

Ide Otneux defends herself, “Tell me this elf. Your tongue is sharp as your sword. But were you not with Hairycheeks when he died. If you had such control over that snake-man, how did it run a sword through the halflings head? I may not be wise the the mind tricks of an elf, but I can tell you my axe helped bring down that foe. We have all become fond of the little halfling. Maybe you should let your anger rest and thoughts clear before assigning blame and taking none.”

Breymeer watches as events unfold. He moves towards the Olman man and Tanin. “I still feel we should get moving. We need to track the elf and head back to meet with Neras. If you decide to stay and rest, I am going after Cirdan Saralonde before he is lost to us. When you are ready, I will lead us out of here. The wounded can travel protected in the middle of the group,” Breymeer advises, “That is my counsel.”

Tanin looks at Breymeer as he approaches the dwarf and the Olman man, “Breymeer, can you speak to this man? Explain to him our need to travel and our will to return him to his father’s people?”

Grom, not knowing the group and seeing the dissent, watches quietly.

Tarstar continues to move about the room inspecting and examining.

Grimlock and Ide Otneaux continue their verbal sparring as Grimlock states, “I hold you the least at fault of the three; as your axe thinks for you but you can't be so naive to believe the snake man cured Hairy only to slay him moments later. My elf mind control was broken because YOU THREE ATTACKED IT! Not to mention I was attempting to gather information about this place, the inhabitance and any other items. All of this is because you three all of a sudden failed to listen. You listened during the battle but then took it upon yourself to no longer heed my words. Why? Yes, you are responsible for Hairy. And to the contrary, I saved Hairys life until you three ended it.”

Ide Otneaux returns, “In the Pomarj, you either kill or die in moments like that. But, if what you say is true about controlling the snake man and causing it to cure the halfling, then maybe I acted too swifly in killing the last foe. I will try and give your elf skills more latitude, but I trust in my axe more than your elf tricks. As for blaming me for the halfling’s death, you may assign me blame if you wish, elf, but I shall take no more than you. As for helping defeat the enemy and keeping the rest of us alive, I will share in that glory with you. Now, I will argue no further with you, elf, for there appears to be no solution. Here in this jungle, we make stronger allies than enemies. And the law of the jungle appears the same as in Highport where I met you, when your time’s up, it’s up.”

Breymeer appears to be ignoring the debate. When he gets a moment to speak, he says, “If we miss our deadline to meet Neras our odds for survival are grim and Cirdan’s tracks are likely fading fast.” With that, he turns to face the Olman man and speaks to him. You all continue to hear what Breymeer says in your native tongue, “We were sent here to rescue you and bring you back to your father and your people. If you are able to travel, we need to get going to meet our guide, Neras. I have some water and rations if you need. Also, if you have any knowledge of how we can avoid dangers on our way out of here, please enlighten me. Finally, if you can use a weapon, please arm yourself.”

The man hesitates but replies, “I am Zuras. What I know of this devil city is ancient legend. Our people lived here long ago but were driven out and the inhabitants turned to devilry and false gods. The yuan-ti, men twisted in evil, praying to their snake god and enslaving and killing all others,” an anger is easily read on his face. He continues, “I find surprise in understanding you for you do not appear as one who should speak as me. I do, however, believe you are here to help me, for you have lost one of your own. The strange hairyfaced child there. If it is not against your ways, I would use his sword to continue punishing those who defile this city in his honor.” He makes some gestures that appear to be honoring of the halfling. He then continues, “My people are aware of a hidden tunnel on the southwestern edge of the city; just beyond this temple,” he points in the direction you entered the city, “Other than that, there is the main gate on the eastern side,” he points to the east, “I know not what we may find guarding the gate or wondering the city. As for my health, the great snake has crushed me but I am strong of will. I will go as I am able.” He walks to the halfling, repeats the gestures and takes the short sword if no one objects or stops him.

Tanin joins the Zuras at Hairycheeks body, “I leave you your pipe my friend. Your pipeweed I take so that the smoke may be a memory of you. As soon as I can whittle me a new pipe that is.”

Southar brings everyone back to task, “Alright then, let’s organize our exit out of here, find the elf and get back to safety.”

Tarstar must think this is a fine idea as he begins to wave his hands in the air and move his feet to some sailor’s dance.

Grom, as seems normal for him, sits quiet and watches the events unfold.
    The search of the room reveals no other weapons from the yuan-ti other than the battle axe and crossbow that Grom claimed were his. His ownership was not questioned.

The yuan-ti appeared to have no items of value on them. Tarstar has two sacks hanging from his belt. He did not appear to hide them when he found them and does not appear to be trying to hide them now.

The discussion among the group reaches the consensus of leaving. You prepare to move back out into the storm.

Cirdan Saralonde, you are alone in the wilderness yet brother. I will let you know if/when something else comes up. You are currently in the ampitheatre negotiating your way back across the steps and towards the path in the trees that leads back to the temple.

Tarstar continues his one man jam as the storm flashes outside giving him some type of disco action.

Southar begins to walk behind the altar and inspect the gold disc mounted on the back wall. “We do not have time for burial. I will take the scouting duties. If the elf went east, we should make for the main gates to get out. It is probably faster and the storm should give cover,” he says over his shoulder to whoever is listening.

Breymeer still presses burning Hairycheeks, “Let’s gather anything that will burn and send Hairy’s body and spirit to his gods and be off to find Cirdan.” Breymeer starts to gather up fallen wooden beams, etc. while waiting for the group to move out.

Grimlock begins to walk towards Southar as Southar looks around the gold disc, examining it closer. Southar then reaches out and removes the item from the wall, “It is a shield.” He turns it back and reveals the strapping. It appears to be a gold plated shield. The assumption, judging by the weight, is it is some type of steel plated in gold.

Grimlock shouts a warning to Southar as the shield is taken away from the wall, “Watch it Southar, there is a hole in the wall behind the shield!” As Southar takes a reflexive step backwards, a hole is revealed in the back wall. The hole has been carved into the block of the back wall. It is approx. 12 inches wide and 9 inches high. The hollow goes back about 18 inches. The hollow does not appear to have a bottom after the first 6 inches.

Tanin begins to pick up chunks of wood with Breymeer while keeping an eye on Southar and Grimlock’s new find, “Bring wood and oil Grom.”

Grom, without a word, begins to help. “What did you locate there keen eyed Southar?” finishes Tanin’s statement.

Ide Otneaux walks to the north double doors, “You won’t have to look for the elf any longer. Look what the cat dragged in!” A very wet Cirdan Saralonde walks back into the stone building.

Cirdan Saralonde sees the funeral pyre being built and says, “All is clear to the trail with the switch backs. I would like to carry Cheeks back with the hopes that we can find a cleric to resurrect him. If you don't want to deal with the smell, we can bury him and return him to the jungle. Either way, I think we need to get moving. We are more apt to run into trouble here.”
    Zuras looks to Southar with the cobra head shield and says something to him. Even without speaking his language, you get the impression it was a warning of some kind.

Breymeer and Cirdan Saralonde – The Olman man, Zuras, warns Southar that the cobra head on the shield is a symbol of the evil yuan-ti. He fears keeping it will bring curses upon the group.

Breymeer welcomes Cirdan Saralonde back, “Glad to have you back. If u choose to carry Harry out of here, load him up and lets get going. Zuras said earlier that the way we came in is likely the safest way out to his knowledge.” To Southar, Breymeer says, “"That shield is bad juju Southar and reeks of evil."

Grimlock’s welcome to Cirdan Saralonde is not as warm, “You can carry Harry as it’s the least you can do since you all but drove the sword into him yourself. Either way, carrying him out is better than burning him in place. The smoke could alert inhabitants of the city to our presence.”

Southar prepares to stick his spear into the hole as Grimlock moves up, “Let me have a look around quick.” Grimlock examines the hole and the area around the altar. Southar requests, “Get some serious light up here. Can either of you dwarves look and see how hard it would be to loosen some stones?”

Tanin and Grom both move into look. Ide Otneaux takes the glowing head from the yuan-ti priestess and brings it over for light, “Gross, I know, but it is the best I could do on short notice.”

Tanin, Grom and Grimlock all take turns examining the hole. The dwarves agree the stone would have to be broken out as it appears secure. Getting the nod to continue from Grimlock, Southar sticks his spear point in as Grimlock tosses in a small piece of debris. You discover the hole is only about two feet down to the bottom.

Cirdan speaks to the Olman man briefly upon his return.

Cirdan Saralonde, the Olman man says his tribe does have healers but is unsure if they will be able or willing to bring back the hairy faced child.
    Tarstar awaits the party’s organization and exit of the building.

Breymeer gathers next to him, “The way we came is Breymeer’s vote.”

The Olman man joins Breymeer and Tarstar.

Cirdan Saralonde encourages Southar, “I vote we take the shield, even if we have to cover it up. It may help ward off the monkey men or other yuan-ti we run into. It can be destroyed back at camp. I also vote we return the way we came. We know the area and it is the quickest way back to the meeting place. It also affords us defensible terrain if needed.” Cirdan Saralonde gathers up Berry Hairycheeks and prepares his body for travel.

Grimlock pipes up, “Anyone willing to reach into the hole and see if the can reach bottome? I say you get the first pick of what is in there if you do! Otherwise, Tanin or Grom, do you think we can break it out in a timely manner?”

Before the dwarves can analyze the question, Southar pulls his spear from the hole, “Too much time.” He darts his hand into the hole and begins to feels around. With a quick shout, he quickly retracts his hand. He is holding a coil of rope but an adder snake has gripped onto his armor. He scuffs his hand pulling it out so quickly (1, 27/41). The snake appears to have only bit his armor and it is flung into the room and begins to scurry away near the west side of the altar.

Southar reaches back in and starts pulling out other items while Ide Otneaux walks over to the snake and puts her battle axe down upon it, pinning it to the floor. The snake attempts to bite her but she draws the extra long sword she carries and slices the head off it. She looks back at those by the hole in the wall, “Can’t hurt to have extra meat.”

Southar pulls out the following items: The rope (60 feet of thin, light weight hemp rope), a bone scroll case corked on each end, and an ivory statuette, about one foot tall, of a creature similar to the yuan-ti priestess with short stubby arms and small ruby eyes.

Southar said the hole is otherwise empty.

Grimlock and Cirdan Saralonde both move up and examine the scroll case. Cirdan picks up the bone case and removes one of the stoppers. He removes a single piece of paper. Both he and Grimlock examine it in the light cast off by the yuan-ti priestess’s head.

Southar picks up the rope and asks, “Does anyone have any cloth to cover this shield?”

Ide Otneaux opens her backpack and removes Alip’s backpack from her own. From that, she removes his blanket and gives it to Southar, “This should work.”

Southar begins fitting the blanket to the shield.

Ide Otneaux repacks her pack.

Tanin, Grom, Breymeer, and Tarstar ready weapons and gather by the door. They await the party to exit.

The Olman man looks at Southar and those behind the altar with a look of concern in his eyes. It is somewhere between pity and fear.
    Grimlock & Cirdan Saralone, You can not read the scroll. It appears to be something written in a strange language. If it is a spell, it is not written in a way you are familiar with.

Ide Otneaux stows the snake in her backpack and rescures that packs on her back. “If no one wants to lug that statuette, I will stow that as well. Just so you do not think I am trying to hide it,” she says as she stows the ivory statuette in her pack. She grips her axe and walks to the door and looks out into the dark stormy night next to Breymeer who is standing with bow in hand watching for danger.

The dwarves share conversation about all things dwarven while they secure their weapons and check their crossbows.

Tarstar wiggles a silent dance.

Cirdan Saralonde hands Grimlock the scroll and joins the others near the door. He has Hairycheeks body ready for travel.

Southar finishes securing the blanket as a cover over the shield and secures the shield to his arm. He stows the rope he found and walks over and joins the group. The Olman man distances himself from Southar. “I will take lead when we go,” he says, seemingly unconcerned about the Olman man’s superstitions.

Grimlock walks near to the hole you climbed in and sits to read the scroll. She shuffles papers about for a while and talks to himself. The scene would be almost humerous if he wasn’t using the severed head of the yuan ti as a light source.

Grimlock, you read the comprehend languages from the scroll. The writing on the scroll is looks similar to a pictograph. Your thoughts swirl in your mind as the writing on the page slowly begins to make sense. The attachment is not a direct translation word for word. It is what you perceive as the meaning of the letter. It is signed with a symbol. You know you have seen it before but where is slipping your mind right now. The symbol does not match the writing on the letter as if it were a stand alone symbol and not one of the pictographs.

Last edited by Sheepdog on Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:44 pm  

<Letter to Yuan-ti>

I am displeased with your choice of sacrificing Zuras. Wisdom should tell you he is worth much to the Olman people. We could secure much from them as opposed to using him as a sacrifice to Merrshaulk. We could trade him for many healthy tribesman or gold.
    I have located a statuette you may be interested in and my runner should have given it to you. I believe it is a representation of your god. Please keep it as a token of my sincerity and reconsider the sacrifice. I will be able to give you an endless supply of Olman sacrifices if you would turn Zuras over to me. I have a better use for him.
    We have accomplished much together. You should consider my wisdom. Our strengths shall both be needed to face the dragon.
    Gouthogg is becoming more brazen. He has not yet began threatening our operations, but I feel he will begin to test us soon. We must find a way to counter him before he attempts to drive us from the city. My lords will not be pleased with a disruption in their merchandise.
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:46 pm  

Grimlock (OOC) - That little bastard! He's playing both sides of the court. <What does grimlock wish to do now?> Gonna keep it to myself. My employer will be advised on what next to do. Lets catch up to the group and get the flock out of here. I will be working on a plan to to figure out what to do with the statue. As to tip off the dude who sent us on this mission that we know he f**kin with peeps.

As Grimlock studies the scroll, the light on the yuan-ti’s face disapates and then completely blinks out. The room is still dimly lit by the braziers by the altar and in the NW corner is the soft red glow from the glowing red portion of the dead beetle’s head.
    Grimlock shrugs and rolls up the scroll and tucks the papers back into tubes. He places them in his pack and readies his crossbow, checking the string. He returns to the group, “I will have to look more at it later. Let’s get out of here.”

Thus ends part one. Part two will be posted as it develops.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Campaign Journals & General Online Play All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: