Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Lotsa Questions on North.
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Lotsa Questions on North.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:49 am  
    Lotsa Questions on North.

Hello fellow 'hawkers. My first post on this fine forum. (been skulking around the WotC Greyhawk boards)

I have been playing D&D since 3E came out. Been playing Greyhawk for the last 3 or more years. Well as we (my group) are from Finland we love snow & ice, so when we get a "Frostburn" , we are gonna play a GH campaing set the North around the lands of the Snow etc. Barbarians and The Land Of Black Ice.

Now some questions. Bear in mind I dont have the LGG available to me at this time. (loaned to a friend)

1) Why does Iuz avoid the Land of Black Ice ?

2) Where do the Snow Elves live, do they avoid the other races ? ( I know very little about them)

3) I take there are Frost Giants among the nomerous mountains up north, so do they have a "Overking" like king Snurre for many Fire Giants?

4) Are there any known Frost Mages in GH canon?

5) Are there any know primitive (ie. Primevals) tribes in the Flanaess?

6) Are there any known strongholds of powerfull NPC's around he north?

With that I stop my rambling. (damn its a long post!)
    Thanks. Embarassed
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:44 pm  
    Re: Lotsa Questions on North.

Maug wrote:

2) Where do the Snow Elves live, do they avoid the other races ? ( I know very little about them)

They were intrduced in an article in Dragon 155 titled In the Frost and the Snow. They live in the Crystalmists Mountains.

The article is available for download here: http://members.aol.com/bobhrad/files.htm

Quote:

3) I take there are Frost Giants among the nomerous mountains up north, so do they have a "Overking" like king Snurre for many Fire Giants?

There's
    Grugnur, Lord of Frost Giants, Jarl Grugnur, Jarl of the Frost Giants, The
    Frost Giant Jarl, (mispelled Grugnir by a now dead TSR editor currently on
    display in the Ice Trophy room at the 'Rift) ruling from the Glacial Rift.
    The Crystalmist Mountains are known as Oberulsprulheim in giantish

Don't know about Mountains in the North though. (They have some wild dwarves there, Barbarian like i believe, one of the NPC in Vecna Lives was a wild Dwarf Fighter/Berserker from there.)

Quote:

4) Are there any known Frost Mages in GH canon?

There's the Ice Shard Tome, a traveling spellbook originally described in Dragon #243. It's author would have been something of an Ice mage.
    I believe it's on the net somewhere, can't find it though...

It is also referenced in this canonfire article:
    http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=453

Check out the Greytalk archives for more research:
    http://www.greycitadel.com/greycitadel/greytalk.nsf/
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:49 pm  

Found this on ENWorld:
    http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8168

In Dragon #155 there is an article entitled "In the Frost and the Snow". Therein is detailed a reclusive sub-race of elves called Snow Elves. They reside in the Crystalmist Mountains. They are very much different from their low-land cousins in many ways. Some examples are: they abhor fire and heat, they have an affinity for using spears and javelins just as other elves have for bows and swords, and they are very tall with some snow elves reaching 7ft in height.

Also in the article is mentioned that the snow elf druids are holders of a secret process used to produce high quality armor made from the hide of white dragons. This armor is as cherished and rare as elven chainmail--something snow elves cannot make given their abhorrence of fire nor do they like due to the frigid nature of their environment. Snow elves hate fire and heat, therefore they lack the ability to forge metal items be they weapons, tools, or extraneous mundane items. To acquire what metal items they need, the snow elves sometimes trade with the valley elves. This is something that struck me as uncanny. Why haven’t the snow elves developed items from materials other than metal to fill the metal-void? To me, this reliance on the valley elves for metallic items is simply not in the spirit of the elven race. So, to add credence to those words and taking into consideration the +1 to hit bonus snow elves receive with spears and javelins, I developed a new weapon for the snow elves and a fighting style built around its use. The process with which this weapon is created is a druidical secret, much like the armor, and does not involve heat, fire, or metal only the skills of a bone-sculptor and a lapidary and of course the Druids.
    Adept Greytalker

Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:11 pm  
    Re: Lotsa Questions on North.

Maug wrote:

Might want to check the still growing index of Giants of Oerth here on Canonfire: http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=12

Dragon 57 has some info on the Northern Barbarians:
    Available here: http://members.aol.com/bobhrad/files.htm

An alternate history for the Northern Barbarians:
    http://www.dracheninsel.de/insel/add/greyhawk/nbarbarians.htm

Another:
    http://www.mvn.net/jimnellen/greyhawk/Frost/history.htm

Or search for schnai, fruztii, cruski on canonfire articles or google....
    Apprentice Greytalker

Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:08 am  
    thanks

Sweet man ! Keep them coming, i really appreciate this.
    Wink
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Sep 17, 2004 4:44 am  

You are aware that the Barbarian lands are quite removed and also flavorwise different from the mysterious Land of Black Ice?

Land of Black Ice is sometimes rumored to be connected with Tharizdun somehow, perhaps hiding his imprisoned form. Tharizdun is associated with cold and darkness so this fits...

Oerthjournal: article about Land of Black Ice/Blackmoor
    http://www.tc.umn.edu/~monax002/Council/OJ5/blackmoor.html

Check out Dungeon #115 for a Land of Black Ice adventure by Wolfgang Baur. There's a thread on the wizards board about this:
    http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?p=4404278

I'll let the other questions be answered by others are more knowledgable about them....
    Forum Moderator

Sun Sep 19, 2004 12:09 am  

Quote:
    5) Are there any know primitive (ie. Primevals) tribes in the Flanaess?

In keeping with the northerly theme...according to the LGG, a savage tribe of Flan live within the Burneal Forest named the Uritag. They live in huts during the warm season and live in burrows during the winter. I'd say they are the best bet for primitives.
    Then there is the Guryik, who are also Flan, living ON the Land of Black Ice. Judging from their climate abode they are eskimo-ish. Then there is the Chakji, who are Oeridian migrants that mixed with the Guryik and Uritag. They have made settlements so are the civilized cousins of the Uritag and Guryik.

Now having researched this, these three tribes would make a good article.
    CF Admin

Mon Sep 20, 2004 6:10 am  

I wrote (what I think is) a decent piece on a province of the Ice Barbarians, if you're interested.

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=397

Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:24 am  

Thanks Abysslin, I really liked the article. Much valuable information there. I particularly loved the creatures part. Smile
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:29 am  

<bump>

Come on people, I'm sure there are some more answers out there...
    Post them!

Also Maug, if no more answers are forthcoming I suggest searching the Greytalk archives or better signing up for greytalk and posting the questions there...
    Forum Moderator

Fri Sep 24, 2004 5:56 am  

Quote:
    6) Are there any known strongholds of powerfull NPC's around he north?

Tough one. I'll try and answer out of memory.

Besides Iuz himself who is technically in the north, there is:

1) Gibbering Gate, a keep/ lunatic asylum ran by Jumper, probably the most powerful Illusionist in the flanaess IMO. GG is north of the Fellreev and is under the command of Iuz.

2) There are 3 forts in the Howling Hills, Karangord, Kendragund and Urzungard. None have any powerful NPCs in them beyong orcish warlords or evil priests but they all are Iuz controlled as well.

3) Depending on your timeframe, Sevvord Redbeard and his Fists would control a couple strongholds in the Stonelands or Tenh.

4) If you have the adventure 'Five Shall Be One' there is an underground orcish city in the Corusks that is ruled by some quite powerful NPC orcs.

5)I think there is something in the Wastes but I can't put my finger on it.

6) There is the mysterious Egg of Coot in Blackmoor. Whatever he/it is is up to you, but what is known iirc is the EoC has the loyalty of an orcish king that lives in the ruins of Blackmoor Town and the equally wild race of Qullan(see 1E Fiend Folio for notes on them). Coincidentally this Egg dude may be one of the reasons why Iuz fears Blackmoor. I suspect he is an alien sorceror/artificer, maybe an outcast from the equally mysterious and also local City of the Gods.

That's about all I can think of.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: