JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Leomund's spells on other planes
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition
    Leomund's spells on other planes
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:11 pm  
    Leomund's spells on other planes

I have always found the various Leomund's Hut spells to come in very handy during long adventures when rest and spell memorization is key to completing the adventure. I was wondering if anyone has used them on other planes however. If so, how did they work out for the party in environments vastly different than on the Prime.
    GreySage

Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:27 pm  

You will need to get your mitts on a copy of Manual of the Planes (1e reference book, but great) to get a good answer on that account. This book covers such questions as that. I'd look it up for you right now but I am out of town well beyond the reach of my personal library (and I didn't memorize a Teleport spell, darn it!). Wink If nobody else answers this question in the next day or two, when I return, I shall delve into my storehouse and see if I can do so for you.

-Lanthorn, Sometimes With Answers
    Journeyman Greytalker

Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:37 pm  

I actually have a copy of Manual of the Planes (wish they would have made a 2nd Edition one). I was looking through it and it didn't give much info on those spells, except to say Alteration spells frequently have altered effects on the Outer Planes. I also should have been more specific in my question and asked about the Outer Planes. I don't think the spells would work too well on the Inner Planes, but I think they would still come in handy on most of the Outer Planes. Leomund's Hidden Lodge is supposed to completely blend in with whatever environment it's cast in and even magical creatures have to be lucky to notice it. However, places like the Abyss or the Nine Hells are unique places and might offer some challenges to the spell.
    GreySage

Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:33 am  

xo42, I will get a hold of my book and have a gander by the end of this weekend and will gladly offer my sixpence answer.

The other option at your disposal is to check The Complete Book of Wizards because there is a section about spell effects on the Planes. You might find some information there, too. A final possibility is to look through the DMG (1e primarily) and see if you can glean answers from that source. There is a chapter devoted to spell effects therein, too.

hope this helps,

-Lanthorn
    GreySage

Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:29 pm  

It seems to me, upon reading my various guides, that it largely depends on the nature and type of specific Plane upon which your PCs find themselves. However, in general, it seems these spells would work, but you may have to modify their effects depending on which Plane they are traveling.

-Lanthorn
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:04 pm  

Many planes effect a certain school of magic. So I would follow the rules based on the school of magic representing the spell. The other part is up to your discretion. Actually its all up to the DMs discretion. But I digress.

The effect of the spell should mimic the plane itself. So Leomunds tiny hut might alter shape or spin the subjects while in Limbo. While the spell does not take effect on Mechanus as the law of the plane prevents the spell from altering or creating a variation on this plane. In the Abyss the hut could be fashioned from tortured souls or exist on various layers, in which you may create the hut on the 16 layer and exit on the 77th, 557, or 666 layer etc.

Just some ideas. I hope this helps.

Later

Argon
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: