JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - GenCon 2014 Meet and Drink
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    GenCon 2014 Meet and Drink
    Journeyman Greytalker

Mon May 05, 2014 1:39 pm  
    GenCon 2014 Meet and Drink

Well, GenCon is getting close and our meet and drink will be here soon. I will be their all four days. Friday night is good for me. But we had talked about moving the meet and drink from the Ram to somewhere else.

1) who is going?
    2) where should we move the "meet and drink" too?
    3) I have the first round of drinks!!!! Happy Happy
    GreySage

Mon May 05, 2014 1:48 pm  

I'll be there all four days, as well.

Any place is fine with me. The Ram was pretty crowded and the more people that show up, the more difficult it is to add seats. But, it worked out fine, so I don't care where we meet, I'm just happy to chat with you guys in person (and see Robxx's costumes Laughing ).

SirXaris

Mon May 05, 2014 7:18 pm  

I agree with the Ram being problematic. I love the food and drink, but waiting for a table can be an issue.

I suggested last year that we attempt to meet in one of the hotel's bar/restaurants. The crowds generally are not near as thick, and the food & drink pricing is fairly similar.

I don't know which hotel I'll be in yet--I'm not even sure if I'll be making it this year, actually--but those of us who do know can throw out suggestions.

Here's a link to the GenCon hotels--look in the column labeled "Distance to ICC" for the ones connected to the Skywalk. Many of them have the menus of their various dining facilities listed. http://www.gencon.com/attend/hotelamenities

I stayed at the JW Marriott last year, and ate a couple times at their "sports bar," High Velocity, & it was pretty good: http://www.highvelocityindy.com/
    Journeyman Greytalker

Tue May 06, 2014 2:00 pm  

If you get Mort and I together in a sports bar, not a good idea Laughing But looks nice and I'll bite my lip and hold the sport talk inside.
    Forum Moderator

Wed May 07, 2014 1:34 pm  

Hey there Rob, Xaris, BZ!

Right now my chances of going to Gencon is 50/50. Depends on employment issues. I know my entire Podcast gang is going so if I decide at the last minute, I'm good to go.
    I am also all for a new location. Love the RAM but that place seems to get busier every year. I hope we all can scrounge up some more Greyhawk fans this year, don't be shy, give us a shout out.

As to sports, BZ, well we'll just have to get together early or stay later. Either way that's gonna hurt in the morning. Razz
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun May 11, 2014 7:00 am  

In Greenwood (30 min south of Indy) there's a brewpub called Oaken Barrel. It doesn't get crazy crowded like the places downtown, but it is a bit of a drive.

Also in Greenwood (on the north side) is a place called Shallo's Brewhouse. They have many many different beers, several on tap (a two page beer menu). It's about 20-30 min south of downtown, again, a bit of a drive.

There are a few other areas in that 20-30 min range that won't get crazy crowded, if anyone is interested, give me a holler.
    GreySage

Sun May 11, 2014 6:42 pm  

I'll be with a group in a rented vehicle, so it may be difficult for me to get away with the group's transportation if we decide to meet somewhere out of walking distance of the convention. Neutral

SirXaris

Sun May 18, 2014 8:09 pm  

I should be there as usual, always stay in a downtown hotel.

It's going to be a crowded con I suspect with the rate of room and event sellouts. I only got 2 of my top 5 events in the wishlist (no Conan and no Cthulhu dammit!) even though I punched that list in the second the link went live.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed May 21, 2014 2:33 pm  

Well, my vote is for High Velocity bar at the JW Marriott. I can do Friday or Saturday after 7pm.
    Adept Greytalker

Wed May 21, 2014 7:23 pm  

jtylerk wrote:
    In Greenwood (30 min south of Indy) there's a brewpub called Oaken Barrel. It doesn't get crazy crowded like the places downtown, but it is a bit of a drive.

Also in Greenwood (on the north side) is a place called Shallo's Brewhouse. They have many many different beers, several on tap (a two page beer menu). It's about 20-30 min south of downtown, again, a bit of a drive.

There are a few other areas in that 20-30 min range that won't get crazy crowded, if anyone is interested, give me a holler.

I really don't think this is feasible at all, given the fact that not everyone there brings a vehicle or is interested in finding a new parking space afterward. Also, anyone running behind is likely SOL.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu May 22, 2014 4:20 pm  

Yeah, those are a ways out, but way less crowded.

If folks don't want the hotel bar thing...

Nearby is Claddagh Irish Pub--good chow, standard beer selection. One will spend a few more bucks and deal with more people. But it is probably a 5ish minute walk, so it's close.

An easy 10-20 min walk from the GenCon area is Mass Avenue (NE of Monument Circle)--it is filled with decent clubs/bars/dives & an outstanding German place (The Rathskeller)--very good food, very good beer selection. I'm a sucker for good jaeger schnitzel and dunkelweizen, so I love that place.

Dang, now I need to head into town to get my German food fix...
    Forum Moderator

Fri May 23, 2014 2:32 pm  

baronzemo wrote:
    Well, my vote is for High Velocity bar at the JW Marriott. I can do Friday or Saturday after 7pm.
    I've been to that bar when I stayed there a couple years ago. Not bad! The JW is on the other side of the con from all the other venues but maybe that's a good thing.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Thu May 29, 2014 9:06 pm  

I'll be there this year and would like to join, if just to put faces to names.
    Adept Greytalker

Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:51 pm  

If I do make it this year, I also vote for High Velocity.
    Forum Moderator

Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:14 pm  

Hope you do make it Rob. My chances of going are near certain now.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:44 pm  

I haven't been active in CF! for some time, but if there's a CF! meeting during GenCon it'll be great to go. I'll be going to GenCon all the way from Uruguay!

Saludos!

Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:48 pm  

Looking forward to meeting you there, carlanco. Smile

SirXaris

Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:41 pm  

I will be there, but I'm busy Friday night Wink
    So it has to be Saturday or Sunday for me.

Anna
    Forum Moderator

Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:10 pm  

Anna, Saturday can be done for me no problem and same location?
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:55 am  

One of you better post a GENCON after action report of some kind! Happy

Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:38 pm  

I vote for Mort for the report Smile
    Forum Moderator

Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:13 pm  

Yeah I think that's my job, but if someone sees or does something cool don't be shy. Razz
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:32 pm  

So it looks like we are set for Sat. night at High Velocity bar. So lets say sometime after 6pm-ish. For the "new" canonfire members who are showing up for the first time, and do not know my ugly mug or some of the other members, PM me and i'll give you my cell# so if the bar is packed, we can wave you over Smile Can't wait to meet all of you again.
    Adept Greytalker

Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:04 pm  

mortellan wrote:

Alas, it doesn't look like I'll be making it this year, but raise one for me! And Mort, give my love to Alisha at the RAM! :)
    Forum Moderator

Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:44 pm  

Robbastard wrote:
    mortellan wrote:

Alas, it doesn't look like I'll be making it this year, but raise one for me! And Mort, give my love to Alisha at the RAM! :)

Drats! You got it. Wink The con is safe from Vlad the Impaler for one more year. See ya next time, man!
    GreySage

Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:20 pm  

baronzemo wrote:
    So it looks like we are set for Sat. night at High Velocity bar. So lets say sometime after 6pm-ish. For the "new" canonfire members who are showing up for the first time, and do not know my ugly mug or some of the other members, PM me and i'll give you my cell# so if the bar is packed, we can wave you over Smile Can't wait to meet all of you again.

I am running a play-test of my re-written adventure, Fen of the Five-fold Maw, for Total Party Kill Games from 12:00pm until 6:00pm on Saturday. Feel free to sign up for it or for the earlier play-test on Friday from 4:00pm until 10:00pm - or both! Happy The second is not a repeat of the first.

So, I'll meet you all at the High Velocity Bar sometime after I wrap up the event at 6:00pm on Saturday. Looking forward to seeing many of you in person. I know I'll miss our dark cos-player, Robbastard, though. Cry

SirXaris

Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:40 pm  

Thanks again to stalwart friends Valkaun, Baron Zemo, Sir Xaris and Anna Meyer for an awesome dine and chat Saturday night. Anna will surely be to more GenCons, so the annual meet-up is building!
    GreySage

Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:54 pm  

I had a wonderful time chatting and dining with my fellow Canonfire! members: Anna Meyer, Baron Zemo, Mortellan, and Valkaun. It is always great to put faces to names.

Most importantly, though, we came up with a plan for Canonfire! to take over the world. We have missions for each and every Canonfire! member which will be divulged as our plans for ultimate control coalesce.

SirXaris

Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:47 am  

So how did High Velocity work out, as far as crowds/wait time?

Sorry I missed this one! I'll try to do better next year!
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: