Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Dimension Door and Teleport w/o Error + Stun Effect
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition
    Dimension Door and Teleport w/o Error + Stun Effect
    GreySage

Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:00 pm  
    Dimension Door and Teleport w/o Error + Stun Effect

The spell descriptions for these two spells (but NOT, oddly enough, the Teleport spell) state that a person is stunned for a round after its use. The former spell is not specific as to 'who' is stunned (is it only the caster, or is it those who also travel with him, too?) whereas the second spell description states it is the caster only. Am I correct to assume that ONLY the caster is stunned and NOT those who are conveyed with him/her via use of Dimension Door?

Curious that Teleport does not have a similar effect...

-Lanthorn
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:26 pm  

As to dimension door you need to read what the spell affects, and you should then have your answer.

There is no "stunned for a round" effect in either spell description, simply that the caster cannot do anything for one round after arriving from a dimension door spell, and for teleport w/o error the caster can do nothing further *in that same round* after arriving at their location. Only the caster is covered under the inactivity for that round though. Others can act in the round if they haven't already acted that round. Those who have already acted in the round can do nothing further after arrival. Also, there is a big difference between being unable to act and being stunned. The former only has inactivity as a penalty while the latter carries many penalties in the rules (loss of Dex bonus to AC for the character and opponents get a +4 bonus to hit them, among others), so be careful what you infer.

Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:36 pm  

As the caster of Dimension Door can relocate living matter, I assume that persons so affected are likewise affected by the side effects given the final remark: "Recovery from the use of a dimension door spell requires one round."

-Lanthorn
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:04 am  

Yes, the caster could be carrying someone or some creature as long as their weight was within the limit. They, and anything else transported, would be under the limitation of the dimension door effect too (i.e. be unable to act for one round).

I wouldn't count a familiar in the living matter weight (it effectively being an extension of the caster due to their special link), nor spell components that are small creatures (like a spider), or even a canary in cage (for those underground forays), but only more substantial/larger living matter.

Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:14 pm  

I have a plan to Reduce individuals to a smaller size, and thus, weigh less, thereby allowing a Dimension Dooring mage to carry more than a single person.

-Lanthorn
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:14 pm  

Hehe. Clever. I like that. Cool

Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:25 am  

My thanks. Happy

-Lanthorn
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: