JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Protecting from Glyphs
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition
    Protecting from Glyphs
    GreySage

Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:20 am  
    Protecting from Glyphs

I'm wondering about the following methods that could be used to avoid setting off Glyphs of Warding.

1) Undetectable Alignment. If your alignment is not detectable, I'd think any glyphs set with respect to alignment would automatically fail. Same holds true for those set against good/evil since that cannot be discerned. Those set with respect to creature size or type would still function normally. Not sure about those set for priest's faith (isn't this a type of alignment?).

2) Delude. Depends on the glyph set, but may not set off those triggered by alignment or good/evil.

3) Mind Blank. Completely protects you from glyphs triggered by faith, good/evil, or alignment, but not creature type or size.

4) Alter or Polymorph Self: No protection offered against glyphs set based on faith, good/evil, or alignment, but may be used to avoid those set with respect to creature type or size.

5) Amulet of Proof vs Detection/Location: Offers protection from glyphs triggered by alignment, good/evil, and faith. Not sure about creature size and type. This is a powerful magical item, after all.

Of course, there is Dispel Magic, but I am more interested in noting ways to AVOID triggering the glyph instead of removing it.

Can you all think of any others?

-Lanthorn
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:53 pm  

I've never had anybody seek to bypass a glyph without dispelling it or learning the key phrase (if it has one) before. I think those are all viable (and clever) ideas.

Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:15 am  

Yeah, these are things I've never really thought of before, Lanthorn, but you are the science teacher, so I'm not that surprised.
    GreySage

Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:13 pm  

I agree that those are all good ideas for bypassing a Glyph. Doing so would prevent the caster from knowing that the glyph had been breached (as disabling it would), so using them could come in handy.

However, an Amulet of Proof Against Detection and Location doesn't prevent a person from being seen in the normal fashion. Since it doesn't make the wearer Invisible (except to magical divination), it shouldn't prevent a Glyph from triggering based upon any visual qualities of the wearer (such as creature type or size).

SirXaris

Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:15 pm  

Thanks, gents, and here are some follow-up questions to anyone with an opinion on the subject:

1) A Detect Magic spell will reveal the glyph, but will it show the key phrase or word to disarm that glyph? Or is a Read Magic required? If so, then clerics cannot disarm such spells.

2) Is it required that the cleric casting the glyph be literate to do so, since it the spell is an inscription? Or is this information somehow divinely manifested?

3) Who among you requires that the cleric have access to a Sphere that replicated the desired effect? For instance, in order to have a fiery effect, the cleric placing the glyph must have access to Elemental Fire, a cleric desiring a blinding effect must have access to Sun (or perhaps reversed Healing), etc... Or do you allow anything the cleric desires, within reason?

-Lanthorn
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:04 am  

1. Detect magic reveals the glyph, and potentially the type of magic it is. I would link the latter to revealing the glyph's name, meaning if the caster doesn't know the type of magic, they certainly will not have deciphered which of the many standardized names the glyph bears. Detect magic only reveals the magical glyph, and read magic is needed to read it.

2. No. Clerics know holy symbols, glyphs, and other such markings required for them to do anything inherent to their class. Don't confuse this simple knowledge with literacy. A backwoods ranger doesn't have to be literate to scratch trail markings on tree trunks either. Think of the runes/arcane symbols in the Folio/83' GH boxed set and what simple concepts they represent. That is about the level of meaning there will be for any symbols/glyphs a priest (illiterate or not) will be using, but it is enough for them to do anything required of them for their class, such as casting any of their spells, making magic items, etc.

3. Very much so. I always limit by sphere access, but I usually go one further with regard to alignment. For example, a good cleric cannot create reverse healing glyphs unless they are keyed to evil alignment. Otherwise they must usually use non-killing glyphs. Exceptions would be a good temple that has a vault built deep within its confines that only certain clergy have access to (i.e. a place nobody will ever accidentally just wander into). Such a location might be warded with any effects the cleric's god makes available to them, and anyone who is not supposed to be there will feel the wrath! Evil Grin

Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:46 am  

Cebrion, as always, much thanks for your input. The rune parallel to trail marking makes perfect sense to me. Otherwise glyphing would be beyond the capacity for most clerics, especially those of the humanoid races.

OK, with regards the #3, if one limits the effects based solely on the types of Spheres available to certain faiths, this means that most clerics cannot glyph with lightning (requires Weather Sphere), fire (Elemental Fire specifically), and other similar results. For reference, I am using the cleric write-ups found in "From the Ashes."

Ex: a cleric of Pelor cannot use 'common' glyphs of fire, cold, or lightning. They could only use stun/paralyze (Charm) or blinding (Sun).
    A cleric of Trithereon likewise could not use fire, cold, or lightning, but, using this 'rule,' could use a glyph of force damage (Combat) in addition to the stun/paralyze and blinding effects.
    Finally, it would take a cleric of Ehlonna, who has access to Weather, to be able to replicate a lightning glyph, but as she does not grant her clerics Elemental Fire (I personally disagree with that...), they cannot use a fire effect. Cold is possible (given Water/Air/Weather spheres), as well as stun/paralysis, and blinding.
    (Note: a cleric of Nerull could create a wounding glyph, a disease glyph (though I don't think that would be a permanent effect), a stun glyph, or a blinding glyph).

Is this what you use in your campaigns?
    The description of the spell only makes mention of the following: The DM may allow any harmful priest spell effect to be used as a glyph, provided the caster is of sufficient level to cast the spell. It made no indication that the cleric had to have access to the requisite type of Sphere, although I am not necessarily opposed to that notion. I've personally not run it that way myself, although I would question certain glyph choices (ex: a cleric of Pelor or Rao using a glyph of wounding, for instance).

-Lanthorn
    GreySage

Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:06 pm  

Lanthorn wrote:
    Ex: a cleric of Pelor cannot use 'common' glyphs of fire, cold, or lightning. They could only use stun/paralyze (Charm) or blinding (Sun).

Really? You wouldn't allow a cleric of the god of the sun to use a fire glyph? Shocked

Quote:
    The description of the spell only makes mention of the following: The DM may allow any harmful priest spell effect to be used as a glyph, provided the caster is of sufficient level to cast the spell. It made no indication that the cleric had to have access to the requisite type of Sphere, although I am not necessarily opposed to that notion. I've personally not run it that way myself, although I would question certain glyph choices (ex: a cleric of Pelor or Rao using a glyph of wounding, for instance).

The 2nd edition rules don't limit a cleric in such a way at all. You are adding a house rule that makes such a limitation on the cleric's options for this spell, so it is no surprise that the spell description says differently.

SirXaris

Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:50 pm  

More clarification: for me, the lack of the fire sphere does not preclude casting a fire glyph. For cold or lighting, some weather effect, an outright lightning effect, or even protection from lightning must be present in the spell list. The complete lack of related spells among a cleric's spell list is what precludes the use of a basic energy effect. Also, blindness is an effect of a reverse healing spell, but a similar effect using a continual light cast on the eyes seems more than reasonable for a god of light/sun (namely as the cleric can attach any spell effect they want to anyways). Those are comparable as they are permanent. You could choose to go with an underpowered basic light spell though, if you wanted an underpowered effect with a duration instead.

Note that the basic energy glyph effects do not mirror any spells whatsoever, and should be considered examples of "divine wrath" made manifest instead, and so those effects are generally more available. If a particular harmful spell effect is desired, it must be on the cleric's spell list. I also made my own spell lists where needed, as the spheres system has inherent flaws, and the listings of the spheres for various faiths leave out many spells that should be present simply because the authors didn't make enough use of the "Added Spells" feature.

Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:46 pm  

Am I correct in the assumption that if somebody names the glyph employed, then the glyph is temporarily deactivated and the person can pass without harm?

-Lanthorn
    GreySage

Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:13 pm  

Lanthorn wrote:
    Am I correct in the assumption that if somebody names the glyph employed, then the glyph is temporarily deactivated and the person can pass without harm?

-Lanthorn

Yes, but...

You seem to imply in your first post that each type of glyph has a specific name determined by its type, rather than by its creator. For example, all glyphs that explode for fire damage share the same name.

This is not true in my campaign. In my campaign, the glyph's creator/inscriber names the glyph. That name can be anything s/he wants it to be. In effect, the creator of the glyph assigns the glyph a password that is referred to as the glyph's name. Anyone knowing the glyph's name/password may pass freely. Thus, it takes more than a knowledge of how to cast a certain type of glyph to be able to safely pass one created by another caster.

SirXaris

Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:39 pm  

What reveals the password? Detect Magic? Read Magic? Both?

-Lanthorn
    GreySage

Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:17 pm  

Lanthorn wrote:
    What reveals the password? Detect Magic? Read Magic? Both?

-Lanthorn

If I recall correctly, the spell description doesn't answer that question (hence, your asking it Razz ). So, in my campaign, neither of those magics work. The PCs must coerce a bad guy or one of his trusted henchmen (who knows the password) into divulging it, discover it written down somewhere, stealthily overhear someone who knows it using it to bypass the Glyph, or use some more powerful divinatory magic to discover such a password.

Alternatively, a Rogue (Thief) character can figure it out with a successful Disable Device (Find Traps) check against the DC of the spell that is set as a trap. A Bard can also make a Bardic check (usually with a penalty) to see if he can figure it out.

SirXaris

Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:01 am  

Somewhere, in a previous post, I think Cebrion mentioned his ruling about passwords and how to decode them...

-Lanthorn
    GreySage

Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:37 pm  

Found it:

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=4613

-Lanthorn
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:02 pm  

Good gawd, he's organizing a database now! Laughing

Last edited by Cebrion on Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
    GreySage

Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:26 am  

At least it demonstrates that our opinions have remained consistent between these two posts. Smile

SirXaris

Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:00 pm  

Cebrion wrote:
    Good gawd, he's organizing a database now now! Laughing

Lanthorn has time on his hands! Happy

Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:44 pm  

Lanthorn wrote:
    Somewhere, in a previous post, I think Cebrion mentioned his ruling about passwords and how to decode them...

-Lanthorn

It is not my ruling. I read about it...somewhere. No idea where, as it was, what, 20+ years ago? Anyways, detect magic reveals the glyph, which is magical writing, and so read magic is still required to read the magical writing. In essence, a glyph is basically the same thing as a wizard mark, except that a glyph holds actual power and not just a meaning or basic message, and so it is handled the same way.

So, once you use the magic pen (the detect magic bit) to reveal what the hidden code written in invisible ink is, you will need to use your Little Orphan Annie Decoder Ring (the read magic bit) to find out what the message is! Simple! Happy

Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:08 pm  

Larry DiTillio wrote a great article on glyphs in Dragon 50, "The Glyphs of Cerilon" and there were a few articles on runes in Dragon 69 as well. Might provide some useful insights/ideas.

I've got some bits and pieces of rules for glyphs and runes that I've used over the years, but I've not codified them in awhile; some notes appear @ http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=60853&sid=277caaeac8455b803ff558093c7f1d7e#60853 if you're interested :D
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: