Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Sotillion cheating on Zilchus with Olidammara?
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Sotillion cheating on Zilchus with Olidammara?
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:55 pm  
    Sotillion cheating on Zilchus with Olidammara?

I'm curious:
    What would be major implications in the Flanaess if Zilchus would caught Sotillion cheating on him with Olidammara? Or would there be any? Consider the deities' alignments...

How would the situation effect adventurers?

Is such event even conceivable? What if we replace Olidammara with Corellon Larethian in this case? Too much?
    GreySage

Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:16 pm  

I don't know if domestic quarrels among the gods would affect the mortal world directly. Would Zilchus admit to his followers that he's being cuckolded? Maybe no one would find out about it, and the few devas who stumbled on the secret might be imprisoned to prevent them from spreading the information.

I can see an adventure involving chaotic outer planar beings trying to stage a jailbreak in Zilchus's realm so that they can spread the story far and wide and weaken Zilchus's prestige.

If the story does escape, I can imagine that if the priesthoods of Zilchus and Sotillion normally cooperate closely they may stop doing so, moving to separate temples.

I can also imagine the priesthoods continuing on as they have been because Sotillion's clergy is too politically powerful to exile, or because they have as much legal right to the temples as Zilchus's clergy and aren't inclined to leave.

Worst case scenario the entire priesthood of Sotillion is stripped of their land and wealth in areas - like the United Kingdom of Ahlissa - where the church of Zilchus is closely allied with the government.

I don't think Sotillion's clergy are likely to be inclined to wander, so they'd probably just settle somewhere else. I don't think Olidammara's clergy are inclined to want to support them either. It's just an affair to them, and carries no obligations; nor do I think their relationship would be permanent.

I can see Corellon Larethian showing more responsibility, giving exiled Sotillionite clergy a place in the elven courts. How Sehanine would react to that is another matter; what if an enraged goddess of moon and dreams stirred up nightmares and upset the tides?

I see more potential for cataclysm if Zilchus was caught cheating on Sotillion. Messing with a goddess of the wind seems like a bad idea if you liked the weather the way it was. Expect mysterious hot storms in the middle of winter, hurricanes and tornadoes as she rages.

I don't think Zilchus would be likely to rage in a way that would affect his sphere of influence. I think he'd do his duty on that front, preventing the financial markets from going into upheaval just because he was upset.

I tend to think of the gods of Oerth as relatively removed from the mortal plane, but your mileage may vary. If you're running a Greek mythology-inspired campaign with player character demigods all sorts of weird things could happen. Maybe Sotillion would be stripped of her powers and exiled on Oerth in the form of an old woman or a beast, her children - suspected of being bastards - hunted down by divine assassins, the titans of old taking advantage of the disarray to invade the heavens, Procan tearing apart the continents to avenge his slighted daughter.
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:04 am  

Kurell and Joramy, and their respective priesthoods, might be more than willing to meddle from the sidelines and aggravate any consequences of such an affair.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: