30%  [ 3 ]
    Shivering touch?? Whats that
    30%
     30%  [ 3 ]
    Total Votes : 10

Novice

Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:15 pm  
    Spell Compendium

1st: What are the deities for the domains in the back of the book? None are listed? Where can I find a complete list of gods and their domains that are not home brew for 3.5? I am interested in Greyhawk god references and monster deities included. Or a complete list of published gods and domains for all 3.5

Please help

2nd: What is everyone's opinion of a maximized shivering touch. 18 dex damage for a measely touch attack can you say kill for just about anything. Yes it allows spell resistance but no save and with assay of resistance takes care of that problem. Let alone Divine Metamagic Maximize. Yes, if you are immune to cold it has no effect either but seriously how many creatures are and/or have a high SR check that a 15+ CL can't crack?

Just wondering...
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:05 pm  

Probably the most comprehensive list I've seen is from the Living Greyhawk campaign and can be downloaded at:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=lg/welcome

Under "Campaign Documents" look for a file called Living Greyhawk Deities v.2.0

Sean Reynolds also has a good list of the domains and such... it looks like it was written after the Forgotten Realms 3.5 book introduced all the new domains but before the Spell Compendium, which removed a couple, changed a few, and added a couple new ones, so some might be missing or a slightly different fit.

http://www.seankreynolds.com/rpgfiles/we/greyhawkdeities.html
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:58 pm  

As to the first bit, any of that could be answered through the use of Google("Greyhawk gods domains"):

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=greyhawk+gods+domains&aq=f&oq=&aqi=&fp=V3RQ7LoW5wY

Look at that first result. Google is your friend. Happy

As to the second bit, the spell shivering touch is an old issue, the horror of which was realized very shortly after Frostburn was released. It seems obvious that whoever designed the spell as it is written in the book didn't realize the implications of what they were doing.

Also, welcome to Canonfire! Dellan. The Forums are vast, and the Articles are numerous. You could get lost in them for weeks if not months. The two Search functions on the site work fairly well too. The Search CF! function in the left margin will search the site for *non-Forum* content, such as articles. The *NEW* Search the Forums function at the top left center of each Forum screen will search *just the Forums*(of course Wink). Combined, these Search functions ought to pull up information on most anything Greyhawk related contained on this site you might be interested in.

Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:47 pm  

Thanks i will look into it
    GreySage

Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:27 am  

Just a little "off topic" -- I once possessed the first three Spell Compendium books, but I have never found the fourth anywhere. Mad

Was it ever published? Confused

Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:42 am  

The Spell Compendium mentioned by the original poster is a 3.5e book.

The domains that were completely new to the Spell Compendium (such as the Planar domains) were never assigned to any deities to my knowledge. Most of the new domains in there are actually reprinted (and in some cases adjusted) from earlier sources, such as Complete Divine and the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting. IIRC the Complete Divine gives some indication of which new domains in that book should go to which deity.

Mystic-Scholar: for 2e there were 3 Priest Spell Compendiums and 4 Wizard Spell Compendiums (yes all 7 were published, and the wizards SC appear on ebay fairly regularly, with volume 4 being one of the most common).

Shivering Touch (from the 3.5 book Frostburn) does not appear in the Spell Compendium. As written shivering touch is vastly over powered, it should probably inflict a penalty and mention that it can't lower a creatures dexterity below 1 (similar to how ray of enfeeblement works in 3.5).
    GreySage

Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:36 am  

Thanks cwslyclgh! Happy

I do most of my on-line shopping through Amazon. I've never been to e-bay before. I'll have to have a look. Evil Grin

Thanks again. Cool

Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:59 pm  
    Spell Compendium

The Spell Compendium 3.5 is ok, but needs a serious update! It includes spells from many of the 3.5 books, but does not include the spells from any of the later books (please correct me if I am wrong: Complete Champion, Complete Scoundril, Complete Mage, PHB 2, and maybe others)! For me, the exclusion of the spells from these later pubished books makes the book much less useful / valuable to me. Instead of having one additional book (or set of spell books), for all of the spells, we have the Spell Compendium, and then all of the later published books. With a little more forethought, WotC could have published the book as the last 3.5 book, or multi-volume set, including spells from all 3.5 sources, making it much more useful / valuable to players. This would make it a "must-have" book for all of the serious 3.5 players.

The use of the Spell Compendium is also a point of contention for my group. Most of the players in our group, see it as published matieral. But I try to keep the players from using sources from other settings in my campaign. The Spell Compendium has collected a huge amount of the published spells from the 3.5 books, witch is great and useful, but it also pulls from Forgotten Realms, and Eberron. IMHO, this takes some of the flavor of playing Forgotten Realms, or Eberron and injects it into our Greyhawk campaign. In our campaig, we ignore the spells that can be traced back to the other settings.
    GreySage

Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:40 pm  

If you want to keep your game strictly "Greyhawk," then you do have to exercise certain controls.

Even with the 2nd Edition Spell Compendiums you get cross-over spells. I just let my Players peruse the book , explaining that there will be some spells that I won't allow. So we go over their spell list together.

Remember, as the DM, you decide what spells they get. By that I mean, you decide what's in the Spell book or Scroll that they find. Even if the wish to visit another Wizard, or Magic School, you still get to decide what spells that Wizard or School knows and can teach.

Taking their wishes into consideration is important to keeping them happy, but in the end, it's the DM's game and the DM's world. You can't let your Players "rock the boat."
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Published Material Reviews & Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: