Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Rediscovering Greyhawk after all these years
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Welcome to Greyhawk!
    Rediscovering Greyhawk after all these years
    Apprentice Greytalker

Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:21 pm  
    Rediscovering Greyhawk after all these years

I used to play first edition AD&D way back in the 80s, but gave it up long ago (I think the last time I played was in 1993). However, now that my kids are just old enough, I'm introducing them to this awesome game I enjoyed so much. Consequently I'm reacquainting myself with the old 1e rulebooks (and reading some I never had back then!), and also with our game world of Greyhawk. The forum said to introduce yourself, so Hi everyone!

I do have a couple things to ask / mention:

Some of the links on this site are erroring out: in particular, the "Create an Account" link at the top and the "Search the Forums" link here in the forums (at least at the top of the forums). Both return "No input file specified." So, since I can't search for it, I'll just ask my first question:

Has there been any work done on the lands to the west, the western two-thirds of the continent beyond the Dry Steppes and Sea of Dust? I've always been curious what's out there.

My other question is something I've been pondering, though I'm probably fretting about it too much. I have the kids on some of the early modules, B1, B11, B12, which are set in Mystara. The Grand Duchy of Karameikos is mentioned many times. But at some point soon I want to pick the group up and move it over to Greyhawk, probably starting with B2. Any suggestions for the best way to do it? I could arrange some weird interdimensional portal thing, or a transoceanic voyage from another continent or something, or I could just ignore the setting. I might get away with the latter, since they're just 7 and 9.
    GreySage

Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:47 am  

Welcome to Canonfire!, peyre! Smile

Your story is similar to many of us grognards around these parts. I'm glad you are coming back to the game and Greyhawk.

One of the Admins can help you best with the problems you're having with the links.

There are several threads discussing the lands of western Oerik and some articles in the Oerth Journals as well. You'll have to search for them unless some helpful soul will do it for you.

Since the Isle of Dread was officially placed south of the Flanaess in the Pearl Sea/Vohoun Ocean, you could chose a portion of the Flanaess to place the Grand Duchy of Karamekos. That way you don't have to have them change planes/planets. I suggest you place it in the southern Great Kingdom's coastline or on one of the islands of the Lordship of the Isles. You'll have to make it smaller, but it's only a Duchy, so it really doesn't need to be the size of a nation anyway.

SirXaris

Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:36 am  

Thanks, it's good to be here--and that's a pretty good idea. I'll have to sound the oldest out on whether the geography of their location is even an issue in the first place. I'll also look up Isle of Dread for background and inspiration.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Welcome to Greyhawk! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: