Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Some Gods beyond the Central Flanaess/other gods of GH
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Some Gods beyond the Central Flanaess/other gods of GH
    Journeyman Greytalker

Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:41 pm  
    Some Gods beyond the Central Flanaess/other gods of GH

Some Gods beyond the Central Flanaess

------------------------------------------

I note that the '83 boxed set Guide states that only gods worshipped in the Central Flaness are listed (and of those mostly the lesser ones).
    Guide p. 62

I'm thus going to add more gods.

The '98 team did a fair amount of that with hero-gods and quasi-deities, plus one or two lesser gods.

I thought I'd make a list drawing from other sources, mostly 3E.

Here's a start.

Erbin
    • Neutral Evil
    • Quasi-Deity
    • Prime Plane
    http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20020406a

Beggars! No particular GH connection exists, but the beggars stuff seems right to me. If we need a tie-in with an existing god, he might be sponsored by Kurell. I’d tweak his portfolio a bit, adding greater specificity.

Karaan
    • Chaotic Evil
    • Demi-God
    • Pandemonium
    http://www.canonfire.com/wiki/index.php?title=Karaan

I've guess at his home plane. I’m following Gygax in generally not assigning deities to the Nine Hells or the Abyss.
    A rabid were beast stalking prey through the howling tunnels of Pandemonium sounds fun to me.

Scahrossar
    • Lawful Evil
    • Demi-Goddess
    • Gehenna
    http://www.canonfire.com/wiki/index.php?title=Scahrossar

If she's Olidammara's sister, I wonder who their parents are? Probably not known, or varies from one myth cycle to another.
    She's Common , since her brother is the same, rather than belonging to the traditions of a single human group.

The Civic-God of Rel Astra, an “urbanus’’
    • Lawful Evil (edited, changed from NE)
    • Quasi-Deity
    • Prime Plane
    (I’m told there’s some hint of a connection between Urbanus and Rel Astra in Races of Destiny, but I don’t have that book. I think making “him” a minor, local power makes more sense than a generic god of all cities. Likewise, I think NE fits the city in question better than NG.)
    I'd class him/it as Oerdian, I guess. Not Common because he/it only has any real basis of worship and power in a single large city.

Anybody have others to add?

[/i]

Last edited by CombatMedic on Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
    GreySage

Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:57 am  
    Re: Some Gods beyond the Central Flanaess/other gods of GH

CombatMedic wrote:
    (I’m told there’s some hint of a connection between Urbanus and Rel Astra in Races of Destiny

Yeah, "Parethian of Rel Astra" is mentioned as an "urban soul" dedicated to the god Urbanus (page 146). I suppose the line in Ivid the Undying that "some parts of the city appear to be impossible" might be taken to suggest that Rel Astra has evolved a demigod made out of its architecture, but I tend to think that's either an optical illusion or the work of the city's mages. One note, though: Ivid is very clear that Rel Astra is lawful evil, not neutral evil. "They are dour, joyless folk; the predominant alignment is Lawful Evil. They also tend to be a religious folk, with the temples of Hextor, Nerull, and even Wee Jas being sizeable. Syrul's faith is outlawed, however, since a power of lies and deceit is entirely contrary to the Lawful city ethos."

An alternate place to put Urbanus is Rel Deven. Ivid the Undying mentions the "cult of the stones" there.

Ivid the Undying wrote:
    Further, the equally bizarre Cult of the Stones has gained some adherents in Rel Deven in recent years. A small group of townsfolk claim to have heard one of the wandering stones speak, warning of the wars and giving visions of mayhem. At the time, this was laughed at, but when war broke out, no few people took to revering the stones as protectors and standing around them—screaming prophecies of doom to all who would listen. Since the end of the world has not actually transpired, the cult has lost some standing. However, a core of fanatics remains, and they can be dangerous—curious visitors getting too close to the stones might be set upon by angry cultists convinced that the strangers mean their sacred stones harm.

I think this was meant to be random madness in a city that's supposed to be plagued with odd cults and superstitions (including the "coin-worshipers of Zilchus"), but interpreting the Cult of the Stones as an actual manifestation of a godling called Urbanus (or another name) doesn't sound unreasonable to me. Rel Deven is said to be a true neutral city.

Of course, if one city has a genius loci protecting it, other cities might as well, even if they aren't manifestations of the same divinity.

Anyway, other deities:

Farlockend
    From Ivid the Undying: "This powerful complex of water magic [the hexpools and water cannons] was built into the city by the mage Farlockend nearly 300 years ago. Statues of the mage can be found in many places in Hexpools, and he is almost a local saint. Mention of his name is always followed by an incantation of "blessings on him!" Farlockend's descendants administer Hexpools as an hereditary aristocratic council. Such is Farlockend's fame and reputation that no matter how inept they become no Hexpooler will rebel against them. To do so, they believe, will ensure that Farlockend's magic will turn against them, perhaps drowning every soul in the city overnight."
    • Lawful neutral
    • Quasi-deity
    • Elemental Plane of Water
    • Patron of the city of Hexpools
    • Patron of mechanical devices and water magic

Walker
    From Ivid the Undying: "The Walker is often said to be a being verging on demipower status, perhaps a human who is undergoing divine ascension and in the last stages of a sublime enlightenment. Some say he is an aspect of Fharlanghn, but this is surely only a partial truth at best."
    • Neutral
    • Hero-deity
    • Prime Material Plane (Medegia)

Saint Idee
    Described in the Living Greyhawk Naerie Gazetteer, this saint was a nursemaid to the children of the nobles of House Zelrad. A ship carrying nurse and children was caught in a storm, and Idee prayed to Osprem to keep the children safe. She cast herself into the sea so that the goddess might better hear her, and legends say that either her hair turned into a seaweed bridge that the children used to walk to land or she turned herself into a whale upon whose back the children rode to safety. Idee became revered as a saint of Osprem and the town the Suel were building was renamed in her honor. Okay, this is kind of boring, but see below.

Yeathan
    Described in the 3rd edition Book of Vile Darkness, Yeathan is described as "God of the evil depths, master of the last gasping breath, and lord of the deep darkness, Yeathan is a god of the sea. Once a simple water deity, Yeathan gradually brooded on darker, more mysterious matters until he became a neutral evil god of all things foul and malevolent about the sea. Some sahuagin, a few kuo-toas, and a fair number of aboleths and their skum servants revere Yeathan, who is largely unknown among land-dwellers."

Okay, Yeathan is hugely generic and has frankly been done better as Panzuriel in Monster Mythology, but bear with me because I'm going somewhere with this.

Akwamon
    In Len Lakofka's original Lendore Isle campaign, Akwamon was the son of Xerbo and Osprem. He never got mentioned in official Greyhawk, but you can read about him in The Lendore Isle Companion. He's chaotic neutral with good tendencies and appears as a "handsome storm giant."

Here's my pitch, which Len Lakofka would probably have a cow about. Akwamon is kind of an unfortunate name, since it's an obvious pun for Aquaman. So what if the reason why Akwamon is no longer known in the Flanaess is that after the Rain of Colorless Fire he "gradually brooded on darker, more mysterious matters" and became Yeathan? And now he's a Cthulhu-esque dark god of the deep worshiped by pirates and fisherman cultists who, in the darkness of night, drop live sacrifices into the ocean to placate Yeathan and prevent him from killing them with his storms?

And here's the stinger: Saint Idee wasn't a willing martyr transformed by Osprem. She was a sacrifice to Yeathan, Osprem's corrupted son, and dwells with him still in the deep as his mutated, piscine bride, a secret object of veneration in Idee and the terrible reason its ships seem never to sink in the most terrible of storms.

Just an idea.

The Greyhawk wiki has a category for saints, some of them very obscure.

Last edited by rasgon on Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:09 pm  

Man, I need to get my mitts on Ivid the Undying.

Is it still available from WotC?
    They released it online?

re: city-god and Rel Astra, alignment

I've switched him/it to LE, as per your suggestion.

I prefer urbanus to be a category of minor deity/genius loci rather than a single god. Thus ''an urbanus'' as opposed to "Urbanus."
    GreySage

Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:42 pm  

CombatMedic wrote:

They released it online?

Download it here.

Also, have you read Original Petty Gods? If you haven't, I recommend you do so, since it's a fantastic source of creative minor deities and it's free.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:48 pm  

rasgon wrote:
    CombatMedic wrote:

They released it online?

Download it here.

Also, have you read Original Petty Gods? If you haven't, I recommend you do so, since it's a fantastic source of creative minor deities and it's free.

Thanks for the Ivid link. You rock.

I wonder if the cover was first created for it and then recycled for Blood Enemies (a BR product)?

As far as Petty Gods goes-- yup. Have it, seen it, love it.

I look forward to the expanded versions those dudes are working on.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: