JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Curative magic vs. scarring
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- AD&D 2nd Edition
    Curative magic vs. scarring
    GreySage

Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:53 am  
    Curative magic vs. scarring

What spells, if any, would remove scars?

What if the scars were the result of acid or fire?

I would think it would take something on the level of a Heal spell to completely eradicate them.

-Lanthorn
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:38 pm  

For most scars of low to medium severity I think spells such as Cure Critical Wounds or perhaps Repair Injury (from PO:S&M) would do the trick. For severe scars or significant acid/fire damage I agree that a Heal spell is probably the only thing capable of repair.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:42 am  

Scars are not wounds, so cure wounds spells won't do anything to extant scars unless the DM allows for it (I personally wouldn't). Regeneration would do the trick, as it makes things all brand new-like, leaving no scars of any kind. Wink

Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:22 am  

I honestly can't recall what book it was in (it may have been in a spell description), but I recall Restoration as being cited as able to remove scars, although the Restoration spell description doesn't specify that. It might have been in reference to something that was reducing Charisma. Repair Injury might be a good choice for scars that don't cause Charisma loss. Alternately, Combat & Tactics (or maybe Spells & Magic) says you can use Cure Wounds spells to repair bone breaks (of differing levels based on the cure spell) instead of healing actual damage; i.e. Cure Light Wounds could be used to heal a minor fracture instead of healing hit points. That could be rules to mean it could restore scar tissue instead of hit point loss.

Jeff
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:09 pm  

Scar tissue is not an injury, but the remnant of an injury. That's why you need to regenerate the tissue. A scar offers nothing in way of there being anything to heal/cure. The conditions you mention form Players Options are actually wounds to be healed. It is just that healing the broken bone removes a condition that is in addition to the hit points of damage, and which allows other healing to continue while also allowing the character to now move about. This is really about making injuries a bit nastier though, but also having a magical way of dealing with them.

Scars are basically cosmetic, but they can affect people's reactions. Even if you want to say that a warrior has lost the use of his arm because it is horribly scarred, the arm is not damaged because of the scar tissue. The scar tissue is there because whatever muscle tissue was required for the arm to function was burned/dissolved away (the cause for the debilitation), and the only thing that can bring such tissue back is not a cure whatever wounds spell, or even a heal spell, but a regeneration spell. A regeneration spell would cause new tissue to grow, and the scar tissue to peel away, revealing the restored tissue and restoring function (if any had been lost).

On a related note, some Dm's play it that cure spells leave very, very faint scars, while others say cure spells miraculously return wounded flesh to a state of its former perfection (divine magic being miraculous and all). Wink Might be good to vary it by deity even. A war god might have the faint scar version (signifying battle experience), while a god of beauty might have the no scar variety. A god like Incabulos might have them leave a noticeable scar. The horror....the horror. Evil Grin

Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:00 am  

I'm not sure if any of them would actually remove scars, by that, I mean any scars existing before the casting of the spell, on wounds already healed or mostly healed,
    However, healing magic could prevent scars from forming. The DM may want to use some judgment on whether or not scar tissue will form. For the lacerations typical of combat with edged weapons, perhaps just getting the cuts healed up quickly will do the job. For injuries caused by fire or acid, as the question asked, I think that might require the healing spell to heal it completely, or at least nearly completely (maybe a few HP left unhealed won't leave any noticeable scarring, again DM's call). A more generous DM may allow the use of multiple spells that add up to healing all the fire/acid damage to prevent scarring, but those should all be done in succession then, and as soon as possible after the damage was sustained.

That said, I like Cebrion's idea about the deity the magic is coming from being a deciding factor in if a scar forms. After all, "REAL warriors have scars! How else can you prove you've seen battle?" And, a deity like Incabulous, might have the scar become MORE visible if healing magic is used, than what would have formed if only natural healing was used.
    Black Hand of Oblivion

Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:58 am  

"When a regenerate spell is cast, body members (fingers, toes, hands, feet, arms, legs, tails, or even the heads of multi-headed creatures), bones, and organs grow back." - 2E PHB

That's what you need to grow new skin back (among other things), restoring it.
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: