Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:41 am  

This has been a very interesting thread to read and digest. I have a thought I would like to throw out there.

Regarding the history of Amerinds and their recent cultural adaptation of horses as it might apply to the Rovers of the Barrens:

As I understand my Oerth history, the Wolf and Tiger Nomads, being part of a Golden Horde, or some such, charged into the northwestern Flanaess and drove the ancestors of the Rovers eastward. The Flan living in what is now Perrenland were able to defend their land against the invasion, so preserved their culture intact, for the most part. The Rovers, however, were forced to pick up and move constantly. That would explain why their culture changed from an agrarian one to a nomadic one much more reliant on horses than surviving Flan cultures in other parts of the Flanaess.

Alternatively, the Rovers who lived on the great northwestern plains before the Chakyik and Wegwuir drove them out could have been nomadic to begin with. That would provide a good explanation as to why their culture survived being driven out - they had the means to pick up and leave before being overwhelmed.

Like Cebrion and Wolfling, I like my Greyhawk cultures to be combinations of parts of real-world cultures. A cross between Amerinds and Cossacks is a good fit for the Rovers of the Barrens in my campaign. Of course, Amerind cultural influences may be found in other parts of the map (eg. the Amedio) while Cossack influences may also be found elsewhere (eg. Chackyik, Wegwuir, Paynims). Smile

SirXaris