Deadly
Denizens
Jason Zavoda Presents
The Gord Novels
Greyhawk Wiki
#greytalk
JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - [Gd20] Arcana Unearthed in Grey Hawk: AUGH.
    Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 3.0e/3.5e/d20/Pathfinder
    [Gd20] Arcana Unearthed in Grey Hawk: AUGH.
    Kobold Pinata

Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:18 pm  
    [Gd20] Arcana Unearthed in Grey Hawk: AUGH.

One of the primary motivating forces behind this project is the belief that the AU rules fit my vision of Greyhawk and enhanced various aspects of the setting by giving them a rules basis. This in turn led to the idea that one could create specific rules, such as Prestige Classes, feats, skills, and various other things to suit the setting and, more importantly, enhance the experience of the setting for the players by giving them a tangible mechanic.

This is, by far, not an original idea. And, quite frankly, I don't care. This project is not meant to be original, it is meant to fit Greyhawk, not to make Greyhawk fit it. If that means stealing from other sources, then so be it. I really don't care.

In many instances I found the AU rules to suit what I felt was the 'spirit' of Greyhawk. A good example is that of truenames. It's all very well and good to say that you use truenames in your game, but without an actual mechanic to give your players tangible results within the game, it means very little.

So, the first few posts here will be about incorporating AU into GH. This thread can also be used to discuss the various aspects of AU and how they do or don't fit into Greyhawk, or how they can be made to fit, or even if they should be made to fit.
    In more modern times, only Delglath of Rinloru is known to have crafted any items from the stone of this atrocious place. Even masters of the dark arts such as Xaene and Karoolck would hesitate to follow.

Last edited by Delglath on Sat Oct 09, 2004 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Adept Greytalker

Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:54 am  

Man-of-the-Cranes had some cool prestige class info on his site.

He adapted th Guild Wizard of Waterdeep to Greyhawk, Nightsong Enforcer to Greyhawk Assassins Guild, a slightly changed Keshen Blademaster to Chosen? of Kelanen. Very nice write-ups but alas his site is no more and i didn`t save it....
    Kobold Pinata

Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:49 pm  

IIRC, Man of the Cranes is a fellow Aussie! Maybe if he sees this he'll post them here. If anyone knows him personally, ask him about it. Just make sure he reads the read me post!
    In more modern times, only Delglath of Rinloru is known to have crafted any items from the stone of this atrocious place. Even masters of the dark arts such as Xaene and Karoolck would hesitate to follow.
    Journeyman Greytalker

Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:54 pm  

Delglath, great idea for a thread! Sorry I didn't notice it MUCH sooner.

I have AU, and really liked many aspects of it, but it seems like it would take a LOT of work to incorporate a lot of it into the existing rules. I found the differences in spells to be the most daunting aspect. Spells which are old stand-bys were drastically changed, including power levels. It really isn't something I've wanted to tackle yet.

I liked the Truenames idea as well, but I think I liked the mechanics presented in a recent issue of Dragon better. It seemed a bit more balanced than giving a Trait to everyone without a Truename. Also, I kind of like the Flaws and Traits in the new Unearthed Arcana, so adding Traits from AU to this would kind of muddy the water.

I also liked the idea of the Exotic and Unique spells, though I think I'd make them a bit more of a treat. Maybe Ancient Suel or Bakluni magic would be exotic enough to require a feat to learn it...

Your thoughts?

I didn't design the world,
    I merely facilitated its creation
    Adept Greytalker

Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:14 am  

The AU has a lot of great material; I'd use more of it if my players were more open to new ideas. I have to agree that the most difficult part of the AU to use is the magic (spells and spell-using classes), but some aspects, such as spell templates, have at least found their way into my game.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> Greyhawk- D&D 3.0e/3.5e/d20/Pathfinder All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: