JOIN THE CHAT
ON DISCORD
    Canonfire :: View topic - Alhaster before and at the time of the secession
    Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion
    Alhaster before and at the time of the secession
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:57 am  
    Alhaster before and at the time of the secession

I discussed this a little of a different thread: http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=65683#65683

...but I'm creating a new thread detailing Alhaster at the time of secession (Fireseek-Readying 577 CY).

Using information from the Age of Worms (which occurs around the 20th anniversary of either Zeech's accession or the secession from the Shield Lands--the explanation in Dungeon is vague/contradictory), and then back-dating, we have the following:

Watchtowers: Obviously occupied by the Alhaster City Watch or by troops of the Viscounty of Alhaster. BTW, what was the Viscounty's heraldry before secession? Heironeous was always popular in the Shield Lands. Possibly the Hand of Heironeous, with the Lightning Bolt? Blue background?

Alhaster Market: Essentially unchanged, but with less crooked stuff to be bought.

Ilsan's Fine Goods: Building and business essentially unchanged, but the younger Ilsan was probably lower in level (Exp2?).

Alhaster Shipping Concern: It was an actual shipping concern; might need to create merchant NPCs (inc. Guildmaster).

Crafter's Guildhall: Maybe each guild had its own guildhall back then? If so, whose guildhall was it back then? I'd have to create other guildhalls, as well.

Sinner's Sanctum: The building (and the Ebon Triad hidey hole below it) must have been there, but it was something else at the time. A tavern? Inn? Personal domicile?

Laughing Dawn Tavern: Probably a common domicile in 576?

Miomay's Playhouse: The article mentions that there was a larger playhouse in the same spot before being destroyed. The Alhaster Playhouse?

Ogre's Hideout: Still an inn? Different name back then? Different owner?

Deluxury: It has been around "as long a Zeech has been in power." I guess this means that it was financed as soon as Zeech became viscount, but didn't reach it's full decadent splendor until after secession?

Cathedral of Kord: Pretty much as is, but in better shape. Maybe Lanthis wasn't high priest yet, and probably lower level.

Church of Blessed Deliverance: Obviously a fully functioning temple of St. C at the time. Perhaps Furpotia (listed as being a St. C worshipper) was a priestess in training (thus her class as Expert instead of Commoner)? And maybe she wasn't unhinged yet?

Cathedral of Hextor: Cathedral of Heironeous.

Scarlet Spire: Pretty much the same. Maybe Almerah Kosen was the assistant to the High Priestess 20 years before? Perhaps Clr9 instead of Ari3/Clr10 (I assume she stopped adventuring after becoming High Priestess in Alhaster and took up levels in aristocrat)?

There should probably be some tiny chapels scattered throughout town. The deities would have tilted Lawful Good and Lawful Neutral, with Oeridian origins (Kord and Wee Jas were used in part because AofW is "generic", but I've made my peace with a few of the bigger Suel deities being represented): Pholtus, Zilchus, Procan (as a seafarer's deity), Velnius (ditto), Celestian (as a navigator's deity), and Fharlaghn (as a traveler's deity). Maybe Alia, Delleb, and Merikka*? Of course, Pelor is common almost anywhere. Maybe throw in Norebo, Rudd or Kelanen for the mercenary types who would be there for the war vs. the Horned Society and the BK? I suppose most of these clergy would have left Alhaster as the years passed under Zeech's rule, but some may have been killed during secession, and one or two may have converted to the remaining deities.

Gallows: ?

Gulg's Tinctures: It was in business at the time, but probably did not openly sell poisons. An apothecary? Gulg was probably lower level.

Scuttlebut: Different building? Different name?

Alhaster Arena: ?

Free Lords Assembly: Probably the embassy area, including a Shield Lands representative, at least. Maybe one from the Urnsts and Greyhawk? A Furyondian might have been there, but rather distrusted.

Alhaster Boneyard: Pretty much as is, just not as full...

Watcher's Compound and Alhaster Barracks: Alhaster City Barracks? City Watch and troops?

Angel's Aerie: Base for the local chapter of the Knights of Holy Shielding? Or maybe the Viscouty's troops?

Quemp Manor: It was there, but Zeech gave it to Quemp as a reward for his support after secession. I assume that Quemp would have been lower in level, too.

Kilraven Manor: Apparently, Kilraven is a hereditary noble and had served Zeech's father and his predecessor. He apparently brought in a company from the western border to support Zeech during the coup, so he was probably at least a captain at the time, but lower in level. BTW, pulling the troops who were defending the border with the rest of the Shield Lands while Alhaster was seceding from the Shield Lands was a bold move. Or was it?. Hmmm...

Mistwall Manor: Lashonna saved the manor, but did she own it at the time?

The Palace: Same place, but apparently a few additions had been added since 576. Zeech fancies himself an architect. I assume that Zeech's Erinyes lover was hiding out there, possibly posing as human.

The Great Project: This area had quite a few manors, along with humbler dwellings.

Alhaster Harbormaster: There was probably a harbormaster there.

Eel River Transport: The previous inhabitants weren't much of a challenge for a single Hobgoblin (Exp5 or lower at the time). Of course, he may have poisoned them, or killed them in their sleep.

Alhaster Shipyard: In operation, probably building boats and the occasional small ship.

Traitors' Graves: Just a mosquito-ridden bit of tideland back then?

Of course, any number of inns, taverns to add.

Detail merchant and fishing vessels, maybe a privateer or two (who may have been in on Zeech's treachery).

Is there anything out there I missed?

*Merikka from Orlane should have just been the local name for Atroa or Berei. Hmmpf!
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:35 am  

No observations, I guess. Confused

More points:

From Dungeon #131:

In Alhaster, they "brew a thick, herby rum". When mixed with water and butter, it's good, but a little salty, or so the background says...

1) Rum is distilled, not brewed.

2) If this beverage is actually made of wild herbs (Alhastirans are mentioned as adding a lot of local wild herbs to their dishes), then it's probably not rum or a brewed molasses. "Rum" is an approximation?

3) I don't see why water or butter would make grolg "salty". Salty herbs? Too much store bought salted butter? Laughing

From Dragon #340:

Alexstasia's Boudior: Pretty much as is, I suppose.

Patchwork: Since the PC will probably be living near the docks (in order to keep an eye on shipping activity), I'm strongly considering making Marissa Crumn the PC's next door neighbor. She probably had fewer than 9 kids in 576 (unless she is older than I suspect, and has a bunch of grown-up children as of 596). The article doesn't mention a husband. Deceased? Or a list of likely suspects? Wink I'm inclined to make her a widow in 596. Maybe she's not even married (or whatever) yet? Considering her skill as a seamstress (60 gp is a lot for a dress), and the fact that she apparently raised at least 9 children who survived to adulthood, I figure she could be as high as a Com3/Exp1 in 596, but maybe she was still Com1 in 576?

Bottles & Bits: Maybe as is?

Hopefield Haberdashery: Could have been there in 576.

Inga Trolworp: For 576, I'd make her Ari3 or Ari4 instead of Ari5. She'd still provide a +2 assist bonus on a variety of skills. Of course, she might not have been in the personal assistant business back in 576. If not, maybe the secession had something to do with it?
    Apprentice Greytalker

Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:16 pm  

Perhaps a mead or something like Drambui which is scotch whisky blended with honey and herbs.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:32 am  

SouthernGent wrote:
    Perhaps a mead or something like Drambui which is scotch whisky blended with honey and herbs.

-Ah! I love drambuie! One of those great, hidden secrets! ;)

But anyway...

I guess those are good starts, but with a salty instead of sweet result; herbs that are salty? It would have to be the former, I think. Now I'm trying to think of a salty fermented beverage...
    GreySage

Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:06 pm  

Quote:
    *Merikka from Orlane should have just been the local name for Atroa or Berei. Hmmpf!

While it was unintentional on the part of the original author (Douglas Niles), the plot of Against the Cult of the Reptile God works really well with the idea that the local goddess was missing because she spent decades imprisoned beneath Castle Greyhawk. Why did the local agricultural priests turn to a false cult led by a spirit naga? Because their original goddess had disappeared and was no longer answering their prayers and they were desperate.

I feel the same way about the clerics of Stern Alia in The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan. They drifted from the true faith because their goddess stopped speaking to them.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:13 am  

rasgon wrote:
    ...While it was unintentional on the part of the original author (Douglas Niles), the plot of Against the Cult of the Reptile God works really well with the idea that the local goddess was missing because she spent decades imprisoned beneath Castle Greyhawk...

-I won't argue that it doesn't fit, but assuming that Merikka was the local name for either Atroa or Berei made a far better fit for the faith described in Orlane, and would have been more consistent than conjuring up a new deity to explain a name that is obviously just a play on 'Merica.

On top of that, it's odd that "they" made Merikka LG even though the uncorrupted inhabitants of Orlane were described as entirely NG. If they wanted to go the Whole New Deity route, then they should have given Merikka an orientation that was more aggie and made her NG in alignment. It's as if "they" saw the name of a new deity, decided they had to to make it fit in, and then ignored all the other information from the same source that introduced the name in the first place. Not as if not bothering to actually read the source material is uncommon with some Greyhawk canon...

rasgon wrote:
    ...I feel the same way about the clerics of Stern Alia in The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan. They drifted from the true faith because their goddess stopped speaking to them.

...in that example, the cleric was LN, the deity was described as having a LN orientation, and they made Stern Alia (drum roll)... LN!
    GreySage

Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:15 am  

There are lots of examples of gods having worshipers a step or more removed from their own alignments (nearly all gods permit this). Merikka's lawfulness manifests itself as an obsession with timeliness more than ethics. Especially considering that the folk of Orlane haven't benefited from their goddess's direct guidance for generations, I don't consider it to be an issue that their ethical world view doesn't mesh with hers exactly.
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:07 am  

rasgon wrote:
    There are lots of examples of gods having worshipers a step or more removed from their own alignments (nearly all gods permit this). Merikka's lawfulness manifests itself as an obsession with timeliness more than ethics. Especially considering that the folk of Orlane haven't benefited from their goddess's direct guidance for generations, I don't consider it to be an issue that their ethical world view doesn't mesh with hers exactly.

I'm going to shift this to the "Most Unloved Greyhawk canon" thread:

http://www.canonfire.com/cf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=67203#67203
    Grandmaster Greytalker

Fri May 13, 2016 11:41 am  

jamesdglick wrote:
    ...Sinner's Sanctum: The building (and the Ebon Triad hidey hole below it) must have been there, but it was something else at the time. A tavern? Inn? Personal domicile?...

-A closer reading states that the building is new, but I assume that a different building must have been there before to clear the entrance.

jamesdglick wrote:
    ...Ogre's Hideout: Still an inn? Different name back then? Different owner? ...

-I calculated that Beskered's mother took over the inn after his father had died in 557, and that she had died in 575 CY, leaving him, as the sole surviving child, as proprietor.

jamesdglick wrote:
    ...Bottles & Bits: Maybe as is?

-Bottles & Bits is located in the "worst slums" and among the "lowest of the low". The location is so bad that anyone seen going there instantly loses credibility points. Sounds like somewhere in The Shanties; the area is specifically described as a "slum" ("Alhaster Background", p. 85).

jamesdglick wrote:
    ...Patchwork: Since the PC will probably be living near the docks (in order to keep an eye on shipping activity), I'm strongly considering making Marissa Crumn the PC's next door neighbor...

-Marissa and her brood are around the "seediest docks", but you don't lose cred' for being seen there, so I assume that Patchwork is NOT in The Shanties. I could have set it in Eel Town, but decided that the easternmost docks would be more suitable for the apartment that the PC will be operating out of.

As it turns out, I calculated that Marissa has just turned 12 years old in Patchwall 576. I thought she'd older. Oh well! Considering that Patchwork is the third best fashion shop in Alhaster, and that, unlike Alexstrasia's or the other place whose name slips my mind, she does it entirely by herself (implied) and with the distraction of nine children, I decided to give her the following (D&D 3.5) in 597 (at least): LN 32 year old human female Com2/Exp2 (8 STR, 10 DEX, 13 CON, 12 INT, 11 WIS, 10 CHA, 10 COM). She gained an extra point of INT at Lvl4.

Skills: Craft (Seamstressing/Tailoring) +11 (+12 to craft high fashion clothing); Knowledge (Fashion) +6; Profession (Cook) +8; Profession (Janitor) +1; Climb +0 [+1 skill point, -1 STR]; Heal +7; Listen +1; Spot +1; Swim +0 [+1 skill point, -1 STR].

Feats: Great Fortitude; Skill Focus (Cook); Skill Focus (Seamstressing).

Flaws: Pathetic (STR).

This leaves at least more at least 1 skill point and one bonus feat to distribute. The need for seamstress and fashion skills is obvious. I figured that being a very good cook and a decent housecleaner would come with being a typical women of humble means, and would help with the efficient raising of her family (although she might still be a little overwhelmed). The "heal" skill comes from my assumption that she has nine children and hasn't lost one from disease, parasitic infection, or injury (a high income might be able to buy the occasional "remove disease" spell, but from whom? St. C's Church of Blessed Deliverance is rather defunct, and the Hextorians or Jasadine seem unlikely. Maybe Kord? Or maybe a minor, unlisted practitioner of benign deity in Alhaster?). I want her to be able to climb, listen, and spot in order to track down the more recalcitrant members of her brood, and I wanted her to have average swimming abilities because I didn't want her spending hours dog-paddling if she happened to fall into the water. The "Great Fortitude" is implied by nine successful births.

Backtracking to 576, the stats are same except 6 STR (still growing), 11 INT (not fourth level yet), and 8 WIS (still wise'n up). She's maxed on seamstressing (which she enjoys), has +1 in cooking and janitor (to help around the house), and a +1 in swim. Her only feat so far is "Great Fortitude" as compensation for "Pathetic" STR. She lives alone with her mother, two older sibllings having died when young.
       Canonfire Forum Index -> World of Greyhawk Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: